Calories vs calories

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    A calorie is not a just a calorie, for all the people out there who preach " iifiym " name me one pro bodybuilder who uses this approach? Your body will utilize what your eating totally differently depending on when its eaten

Layne Norton

That.

And as I am not a pro bodybuilder and I have my own specific goals, I'm not sure why I'd care regardless.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Food substances have many properties.

The calorie measurement is just one of them.

There are the nutrients, fiber content to leave you filled feeling, water content, minerals and electrolytes, the anti inflammatory index, cholesterol content, sodium, simple or complex carbs, on and on.

So this idea that for weight loss, only calories matter is still incomplete.

It all matters. Nobody wants to lose weight to the detriment of their health. Of course not.

A calorie is just one attribute of food. Learn more about food to better manage your own health. It is your life and the only body you are gonna get.

Saying a calorie is the only important thing about food is like saying the color is the only important thing in selecting a new car.

Learn about food and manage it as a tool to meet your personal goals.
    Who says that about food, though? Ever?

I mean, sure, you pummeled that strawman into submission, but why?

It happens all the time

You do it constantly

Arguing to not explain to new people how to view food makes no sense.

Newbies have the ability to grasp the basics of food and nutrition. Especially when they ask that direct question

You're lying. Cite one time -- one single time -- where I've ever said the only important thing about food is the calorie content. Ever.

• coralp123
    coralp123 Posts: 30 Member
    Wow there's some crazy debating going on here, don't get your knickers in a twist folks.. Just to clarify I do not intend to use my calories on 'junk' food I was merely wondering as I see that many people eating said 'junk' food and losing weight, I just couldn't get my head round it but I get it now, dumb question really thinking about it. And about the pizza 'junk' food comment, since it caused a bit of drama I sincerely apologise yes I'm sure there's healthy pizza options BUT my idea of a pizza and what id have is a 'choose your own 5 toppings' kebab meat, bbq chicken, pepperoni, bacon and jalapeños with extra cheese, gross right? NOT! Haha which is why I refered to it as junk
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

There are the nutrients, fiber content to leave you filled feeling, water content, minerals and electrolytes, the anti inflammatory index, cholesterol content, sodium, simple or complex carbs, on and on.

It all matters. Nobody wants to lose weight to the detriment of their health. Of course not.

A calorie is just one attribute of food. Learn more about food to better manage your own health. It is your life and the only body you are gonna get.

Saying a calorie is the only important thing about food is like saying the color is the only important thing in selecting a new car.

It happens all the time

You do it constantly

Newbies have the ability to grasp the basics of food and nutrition. Especially when they ask that direct question

No one ever says this... You are grasping at straws.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Poor. poor pizza. It always gets miscast as the villain. Every. Single. Time.

It would be hard to come up with a more nutritionally complete food than pizza is. Calorically dense? It can be. The debil? Hardly. That's reserved for sugar, apparently. ;)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    coralp123 wrote: »
    Wow there's some crazy debating going on here, don't get your knickers in a twist folks.. Just to clarify I do not intend to use my calories on 'junk' food I was merely wondering as I see that many people eating said 'junk' food and losing weight, I just couldn't get my head round it but I get it now, dumb question really thinking about it. And about the pizza 'junk' food comment, since it caused a bit of drama I sincerely apologise yes I'm sure there's healthy pizza options BUT my idea of a pizza and what id have is a 'choose your own 5 toppings' kebab meat, bbq chicken, pepperoni, bacon and jalapeños with extra cheese, gross right? NOT! Haha which is why I refered to it as junk

Your pizza sounds delicious
  • coralp123
    @slaite1 you and I... We got good taste haha, I would hardly call it nutritional though I can practically feel the fat oozing from my pores when I've eaten it
  • DeguelloTex
    @slaite1 you and I... We got good taste haha, I would hardly call it nutritional though I can practically feel the fat oozing from my pores when I've eaten it
    Your body needs fat. It's nutritional. The only question is how it fits in with the rest of your diet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

It has a good amount of fat, a good amount of protein and a good amount of carbs (ie...nutrition). Yes, it is calorie dense so you would need to keep an eye on that, but the nutrition is there.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Nobody wants to lose weight to the detriment of their health. Of course not.
    Disagree. People everyday do insane dieting techniques at the risk of their health to lose just 5lbs to 10lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member

Yea you'll probably get a days worth of fat in a pizza like that-but some fat is good. Plus tomato sauce, cheese and meat= lycopene, calcium, protein!

The idea is that everything has nutritional value-pizza can actually be pretty nutrient dense.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    A calorie is not a just a calorie, for all the people out there who preach " iifiym " name me one pro bodybuilder who uses this approach? Your body will utilize what your eating totally differently depending on when its eaten
    Lol, you're speaking of a section of people who aren't really a big percentage of the general population.
    Broscience don't work here. A calorie is a unit of measurement. Just like a cm is a cm or a liter is a liter.
    Not to mention amateur and pro bodybuilders use a lot more "stuff" to get where they are along with training and consuming thousands of calories a day. Sitting around the house and eating 8 meals a day doesn't work for everyone nor will most people even try that regimen.
    If we're sticking to the OP, a calorie is a calorie. What makes up those calories is different, but in terms of measurement, a calorie is a calorie. You'll not find any institute of science that would disagree. Bodybuilders, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Look at the articles by nutritionists on the MFP blog. Here's a good one:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-is-a-calorie-a-calorie-2/
    There are related articles on protein, fat, sugar, etc.
  • coralp123
    Well I'll try not to feel as guilty when I demolish my "special" pizza lol I've only got about another 8 lb to go though and uv been stuck at this for a few month so I'm trying to be strict x
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member

Jay Cutler...

Lol.

+Mike Mentzer
    +Dorian Yates
    +all the clean eaters that meticulously hit their macros and don't even realize they are doing IIFYM

c0efa59z89ga.jpg

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you are eating for a specific health goal, a calorie is not just a calorie.

A calorie=a calories DOES NOT mean foods are the same and it makes no difference what you eat. Why do people willfully misunderstand this?

The OP asked if she would gain weight if she ate 1200 calories of junk food (which some on the thread have apparently decided means pizza, although pizza can actually meet a balanced set of macros and include lots of vegetables and some lean protein, depending on how you make it). The fact is that she would not.

However, if she eats low nutrient items (or just an unbalanced diet) to make up those 1200 calories, of course that's not a healthy diet and it would be probably hard to sustain such low calories on a low volume of non nutritious food. I've never seen anyone at MFP disagreeing about that.

But that doesn't change the answer to OP's question or mean that a calorie (a unit of measurement) is not a calorie.

I don't think I willfully misunderstood anything; why do people get so defensive about CICO? I stated what I see as the truth: If you are eating for a specific health goal, a calorie is not just a calorie. I don't think a average sized woman will gain weight on 1200 calories per day but her health could be affected if the calories are not (usually) from a healthy source, especially if there are any health problems to begin with (or they are on the way to developing health problems).

If she was eating more calories, say 1800 per day, then the choice of food could very well make a difference in her weight. I'm losing weight (about 2lbs / week) with a diet that is usually between 1300 and 2000 calories per day by avoiding foods that are not healthy for me. I know I do not lose (any substantial) weight when my caloric intake is around those numbers, and I am eating pizza and buns. At 1200 calories, I would lose weight (if I could maintain that long enough).
    I'm eating low carb to improve my health. Pizza would not be as good as a burger patty or the nuts - for me.

Sure. And saying "a calorie is a calorie" is not inconsistent with that.

I think it's important to eat a variety of vegetables, other sources of fiber, fish, and non-saturated fats. Those are among my goals. So similarly I don't think what foods I choose are irrelevant. But I'd also say a calorie is a calorie, for weight loss. (Personally, though, if I ate only cake--or only meat, for that matter--I'd feel like crap and couldn't sustain it.)

If someone had insulin resistance or other health problems, the type of calorie consumed will make some difference - not all of the difference, but some.

For a perfectly healthy person, the type of calorie consumed may not make any noticeable difference.
  • DeguelloTex

A calorie=a calories DOES NOT mean foods are the same and it makes no difference what you eat. Why do people willfully misunderstand this?

The OP asked if she would gain weight if she ate 1200 calories of junk food (which some on the thread have apparently decided means pizza, although pizza can actually meet a balanced set of macros and include lots of vegetables and some lean protein, depending on how you make it). The fact is that she would not.

However, if she eats low nutrient items (or just an unbalanced diet) to make up those 1200 calories, of course that's not a healthy diet and it would be probably hard to sustain such low calories on a low volume of non nutritious food. I've never seen anyone at MFP disagreeing about that.

But that doesn't change the answer to OP's question or mean that a calorie (a unit of measurement) is not a calorie.

I don't think I willfully misunderstood anything; why do people get so defensive about CICO?
    Because CICO is, literally, the only way to lose weight, perhaps?

How one achieves CICO is a different question, but it must be done. No way of eating can provide weight loss without CICO. It seems important for people to understand that there's no magic involved in Diet X or Low-X Diets. They're just different ways to try to achieve the necessary deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

It happens all the time

You do it constantly

OP asked whether calories are the only important thing about food? Where?

I prefer to treat even newbies as if they are not, in fact, completely stupid, and therefore to assume that they know that the nutritional profiles of broccoli and a Ding Dong are not identical. YMMV, I guess.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    CICO... pesky physics.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

I don't think I willfully misunderstood anything; why do people get so defensive about CICO?
    Because CICO is, literally, the only way to lose weight, perhaps?

How one achieves CICO is a different question, but it must be done. No way of eating can provide weight loss without CICO. It seems important for people to understand that there's no magic involved in Diet X or Low-X Diets. They're just different ways to try to achieve the necessary deficit.

If the calorie count close to a person's TDEE, I would have to disagree that CICO is literally (always) the only way to lose weight. Type of foods and macros will make a difference.

I agree that most everybody will lose weight at 1200 kcal per day though.