What clicked with you?

13»

Replies

• liftrunrepeat
    liftrunrepeat Posts: 23 Member
    I wouldn't be around for my daughter if I kept up what I was doing, and would probably lead her into the same unhealthy habits.
  • littlecrystal
    littlecrystal Posts: 110 Member
    When after many years yo-yoing I finally had a lightbulb moment of inventing my own "diet" (way of eating), something that I feel I can sustain for life. 38 days in and 14lbs lost. Happy :)
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    I think the biggest difference this time? I STOPPED RELYING ON MOTIVATION.

Don't wait to be motivated to do it. Just do it. Motivation is fickle. No one feels motivated 100% of the time to eat right and exercise. This was a HUGE HUGE key to my success.

The other thing, I decided I wasn't going to worry about having everything all "perfect" out of the gate. Really, if you think about it, it's stupid (yet we all try it!). How many times have I decided on Monday I'll kick off the perfect healthy diet that will last me forever? HA! Instead, I decided to just try to cut back a little here, a little there. I started workout out daily and I wrote my workouts on a calendar I had plastered on the fridge and put gold stars on completed workouts and smiley faces when I made progress.

Finally I focused more on building life-long habits than short-term fixes. Too many times we approach weight loss like "help! I need to lose 30 pounds in 2 months!" instead of "how can I make better choices today than I did yesterday?" Boring? Yes. It's boring. Weight loss, making good choices is boring, and slow. Learn to be patient & above all, kind to yourself. Celebrate every success no matter how small.

BTW - I not only reached my goal weight after 7 month of doing this, I've kept it off for 8 months. I'm also in the best shape of my life and feel that yes, I've made peace with food and my body. It's absolutely doable.

Good luck to you. You CAN do it.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I was such a doormat, losing weight made me feel so much better about myself. My hubby and I have been married 15 yrs and he was taking me for granted, being a bit hateful like complaining I was snoring and just not sweet talking me like before. I lost the weight and boy things changed. Everyone seems to treat you better when you lose weight, not right but it is the truth.
  • jsjzisj
    jsjzisj Posts: 8 Member
    I am at my lowest point, but highest weight. What made things click for me, was when i saw my wedding photos from last week, and i litterally threw them all away. I didnt keep or share any. I had no idea i looked the way i did.

My goal is to lose 50 pounds, get my wedding dress tailored.... and hire a photographer to do our pictures again. My wedding will not be remembered like that. Thats not who i am, and i certainly dont want my daughters one day seeing the pictures and thinking thats ok.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Two years ago, at 30 years old, my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol medication. Medication that I would have to take for the rest of my life. I told him "no way", and decided in that instant that I was going to get healthy. I downloaded MFP that day, and began logging my food and going on walks. I walked 200 miles that year, and dropped 90 lbs. No medication for me!
    144 lbs down now, and I still have the occasional bad week, where I lose focus and just give up. But then I make myself look at old photos, and I tell myself that I am never going to be like I was in the past, and I have a future to live for.
    My kiddos need their Momma for as long as possible.
  • tinyxtiff
    tinyxtiff Posts: 8 Member
    For me it's when I jumped on the scale this morning and it said 165 pounds. That was my weight 4 years ago when I went into labor with my son! I couldn't bare to look at myself anymore. I had lost a lot of weight and got in shape after I had my son then within a year of struggling with depression I gained it all back. I've spent almost two years in denial but getting on the scale made me realize it's time for a change. I used MFP last time I got in shape so I'm on here again hoping to get the same result and even surpass my old results (:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    It only felt "uphill" for the first month, when I had constant DOMS. After that, the immediate benefits to mood and well-being after workouts were very clear and completely outweighed the DOMS. Then, I felt like crap when I didn't exercise. I liked being able to feel strong, see progress in the # of pushups I could do, eg. The food part came after that, and that was easy, too, because my body was functioning better. I just felt better after eating healthier stuff, and I wasn't as hungry bc of the cardio.

I'd just broken up with someone. I got through that first month bc I wanted to a) look good and b) have an outlet for various strong breakup-related feelings, lol
  • OI82
    OI82 Posts: 6 Member
    It was a series of unfortunate events that all took place in under a week. One of my children asked me if I was going to have another baby. A couple of days later a package arrived I received a pajama set in the mail from my sister. The bottoms looked like the panties out of the bedroom scene from the movie, "Shallow Hal"....and they fit. The final push was when a neighbor kid told my children they had a fat mom. Then I realized it was time. I've consistently gaine since my first pregnancy. Prior to that I was quite trim and fit (5'4", 125lbs) but then I threw myself into my new role and reprioritized everything, always putting myself last. I'm ready now to try to undo all the harm I've dne over the past 12 years.
  • lynnemarie827
    lynnemarie827 Posts: 2 Member
    I was getting bigger and getting lots of pain in my joints so decided to keep. Record of what I was eating an it helped me keep on track ,I have lost weight and just taking it one day at. time ,and get to my goal hope it helps you
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    I think the biggest difference this time? I STOPPED RELYING ON MOTIVATION.

Don't wait to be motivated to do it. Just do it. Motivation is fickle. No one feels motivated 100% of the time to eat right and exercise. This was a HUGE HUGE key to my success.

The other thing, I decided I wasn't going to worry about having everything all "perfect" out of the gate. Really, if you think about it, it's stupid (yet we all try it!). How many times have I decided on Monday I'll kick off the perfect healthy diet that will last me forever? HA! Instead, I decided to just try to cut back a little here, a little there. I started workout out daily and I wrote my workouts on a calendar I had plastered on the fridge and put gold stars on completed workouts and smiley faces when I made progress.

Finally I focused more on building life-long habits than short-term fixes. Too many times we approach weight loss like "help! I need to lose 30 pounds in 2 months!" instead of "how can I make better choices today than I did yesterday?" Boring? Yes. It's boring. Weight loss, making good choices is boring, and slow. Learn to be patient & above all, kind to yourself. Celebrate every success no matter how small.

BTW - I not only reached my goal weight after 7 month of doing this, I've kept it off for 8 months. I'm also in the best shape of my life and feel that yes, I've made peace with food and my body. It's absolutely doable.

Good luck to you. You CAN do it.

This is brilliant.
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Great post and great replies so far. Very motivating.

For me I hadn't liked the way my weight was creeping up, but didn't want to"diet" having seen too many people yo-yo on various regimes. I started dreading trying clothes on and hating the increasingly matronly options my husband was picking out for me from catalogues and Costco, but felt hopeless about finding a sustainable path to a better body. One day around this time I saw MFP on Google Play and started reading the reviews and gradually I started to understand how CICO might work. Reading and rereading the community forums has really helped me. I got a fitbit, which increases my accuracy in counting and motivates me to get off my butt. ☺ I really got serious this spring and then the results made me realize that I could do this! I still have another 5 it so lbs to go, and then I want to improve my shape/strength.

Good luck in your own journey.
  • Goliath1357
    Goliath1357 Posts: 65 Member
    Heartbreak, I tried dating again after being single for 3 years. The guy turned out to be a jerk and I decided to focus all the negative energy (sadness, anger) into working out. I got over the heartbreak in a few months but I didn't stop and kept going. I weigh less than I have in over a decade, I'm healthier, and I met a way better guy :)
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Heartbreak, I tried dating again after being single for 3 years. The guy turned out to be a jerk and I decided to focus all the negative energy (sadness, anger) into working out. I got over the heartbreak in a few months but I didn't stop and kept going. I weigh less than I have in over a decade, I'm healthier, and I met a way better guy :)

Awesome!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I made this about my overall health and well being...I started doing the things that healthy and fit people do...a nice bi-product of that was dropping about 45 Lbs. I've been on this good livin' kick for going on three years now...only 9 months of that involved actually losing weight...so good livin' isn't just about losing weight and once you get into the mindset of this being a forever kind of a deal, a handful of months to drop weight really doesn't seem like that big of a deal in the grand scheme of forever...

Also, I think a lot of the issues people run into honestly stem from thinking that healthy means bland and boring and/or you have to be overly restrictive...this is not the case, particularly if you know how to cook
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    edited August 2015
    • Witnessing my dad pass away from poor health habits (literally witnessing him die before my eyes)
    • Not being able to fit in a booth in a restaurant
    • Pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, gastric reflux, constant fungal infections...
    • Straining my shoulder and arm so I can wipe myself after going to the bathroom

I was 403 lbs and I had lost my will to live.

Those are just a few things that led me to losing over 200 lbs in just short of a year... without surgery or being on a "diet". I changed my life and my habits.
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    I just woke up one day and decided, "hey I should go to the gym." Then I went into the bathroom and weighed myself for the first time in who knows how long, the scale read 281.2lbs. I was less than 20lbs from 300lbs...I was dumbfounded. I knew I was a little overweight, but I didn't realize I was 100lbs from what I weighed when I graduated high school. That was a little over a year ago, now I've lost 51lbs and I keep dropping. Sometimes I hit moments where exercise and logging takes a back seat, Those never turn out well. But I'm still here. Over halfway to my original goal! I think I'll end up going lower!
  • katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    I got gestational diabetes when I was pregnant. Before this I had no idea how much a weighed and my partner always assured me I wasn't fat. My weight had an impact on my unborn child, could have killed her and was a massive wake up call for me.

After I had my daughter born healthy and beautiful with a full head of hair and big blue eyes I continued to try my best but things had slipped and after a nasty episode of bipolar landed me in hospital I was at square one. Mentally and physically I was a mess but I vowed to get myself better. exercise helps me keep stable and losing weight has given me more confidence. it wasn't until I found mfp that I finally had the right tool. So far have lost 39 lbs this year and now have all the energy I need to chase after a toddler
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!