smoothies

Hi I'm new to making smoothies. I use fruits and almond milk but I really want to change it up a and create new and different types of smoothies. Please send recipes and suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• HeatherDunnell1979
    HeatherDunnell1979 Posts: 41 Member
    Hi I usually use a couple of handfuls of spinach, a handful of whatever fruits I have plus some walnuts or pumpkin seeds and I just put plain water in it.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    There are lots of cool recipes - peanut butter mochas, pina coladas etc. Try googling some. I don't do any milks. Coconut water, ice, adding spinach doesn't affect the flavor and spirulina adds vitamins. Some people do cocnut flakes, pineapple (pina colada stuff). I like blueberries and raspberries spinach and protein powder.
  • EmmaIsAVegan
    EmmaIsAVegan Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Today I did pineapple,banana,satsumas + water
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Here are a few ... I usually keep fruit in the freezer for my smoothies so I don't need to use ice. If it calls for water, it's usually really cold water from the fridge, not the tap. Give one or two a try. Hope you like them.

Oatmeal Smoothie (serves 2-4)
    1 cup ice
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries (or any other frozen berry of your choice)
    1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
    1 banana
    1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (or 1/4 cup oats and 1 T chia seed)
    1 tablespoon honey (optional)
    1 cup coconut water (or other liquid, such as juice)
    Place ice and raspberries in the bottom of blender, and all other ingredients on top. Whir until completely
    smooth. Serve.

Almond Date Smoothie (serves 2)
    3 tablespoons almond butter
    4 pitted dates (preferably Medjool)
    1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
    1 cup apple cider or apple juice
    1 cup ice
    Blend almond butter, dates, yogurt, cider, and ice.

It's Easy Being Green Smoothie
    4 cups of your favorite leafy greens, such as kale, spinach, collard greens (loosely packed)
    2 tbsp hempseeds and/or flaxseeds
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1/4 cup frozen cherries
    1/4 cup frozen raspberries
    1/4 cup frozen pineapple pieces
    1/4 cup frozen mango chunks
    1 medium frozen peeled banana, broken into pieces
    2 cups unsweetened almond milk
    In a high-powered blender, combine greens, hempseeds, blueberries, cherries, raspberries, pineapple,
    mango, banana and almond milk.Blend on high speed for 60 seconds or until smooth. Enjoy icy cold.

MyFittnessPal Green Breakfast Smoothie (serves 1)
    1/3 cup Soy Milk
    1/4 cup Raw Cashews
    1 cup Parsley
    2 cups Spinach
    ½ medium Peach
    6 medium Strawberries
    1 tablespoon Flax Seed Meal
    Toss all of the ingredients in a blender with 3 to 4 ice cubes (more if you prefer an even thicker consistency). Blend until smooth.

Lemon-Fresh Smoothie
    2 cups of fresh baby spinach
    1 cup of honeydew melon, chopped
    1 pear, sliced
    ½ lemon, peeled and sliced
    1-2 tbsp. of chopped fresh mint to taste
    ½ cup of water
    Place all of the ingredients in a blender, process until smooth, and drink to your good health—and
    good looks! (Yield: 1 serving.)

Another smoothie tip ... I buy my fruit fresh and freeze it on a cookie tray, then load up quart-sized freezer resealable plastic bags with fruit combinations. .... or I buy frozen fruit and split it up. That way, all I need do is take one bag out and drop it into the blender along with the other ingredients. Keeps the frost down on the remaining fruit because the bag isn't opened until it's used. If you do this, it's a good idea to write on the bag the date you made them up so you don't use newer versions up before older ones.
  • thisnursewillbehot
    thisnursewillbehot Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'm definitely going to be trying some!
  • fallenintegra
    fallenintegra Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    I used to make quite a bit of smoothies, particularly green smoothies. If you get on youtube and look up fitlifetv, they have great videos for beginners to this subject. There are a lot of ways to go about this. However, I would suggest to use a blender when you do this and not a juicer. A juicer will not have pulp, but the pulp is where some of the nutrients are. Use a high speed blender; yes, there will be more pulp, and a lot, but this is where adding water or something like coconut milk will come in.

Remember, we evolved with plants, so it is best to eat them in their natural state, and this is what the blender reenacts. The blender acts like our molar teeth, which are made to chew plants. Blending also ensures that your body will take in most of the vitamins and minerals (your essential micro nutrients).

A hand full of spinach, lettuce (can be multiple types), and kale are great for the greens in the recipe. Also, add one lemon or lime, and one apple, and once of carrots. Cucumber and celery are great in this as well; this will add silicon and water to hydrate you. Then, fill the blender with water to about double of what the food mass is. If the smoothie is too much pulp for you, then split into another container and add more water to what you are consuming, and place the excess in the frig. You can also add banana and coconut milk if the lime is not your flavor.

This takes some experimenting, but you'll find what works for you. The trick to these smoothies is to increase veggie intake, which ultimate leads to a good bio absorption of micro nutrients.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    One of my favorites lately is greens, cucumber, apple and kiwi with a little bit of water to get it going and ice. I also like greens, a banana and some frozen strawberries.
  • nashelsky
    nashelsky Posts: 28 Member
    I usually just use whatever fruits I have on hand with water and ice, then throw in 1 or 2 cups of spinach. Sometimes I add greek yogurt if I want it to be creamy or if I want more protein. One that I've been doing recently is:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 large peach
    1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
    Juice from 1 grapefruit
    6 ice cubes
    As much spinach as I can fit in the rest of the cup (I use a single serve blender)
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    frozen blueberries, protein powder, powerade zero (yeah not clean but I like it in this form). That has been my treat after getting home in the 100 degree heat this week.