The fun protein quest

2»

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Natto - a Japanese food that is fermented soybeans - contains 4 kcal / g (8.25g - 33kcal)
    Generally high in protein

Google tells me this is 212 cals for 100g natto, which includes 18g protein, so it's 11.78 cals per gram of protein.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Nobody's thrown out grilled chicken breast?
    110 cals/100grams, 23.09 grams protein.
    4.76 cals/1 gram protein.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Lobster 4.68/1 gram protein
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    today dinner meat; Purdue fat-free ground chicken breast cooked = 4.8 calories per gram of protein.
    (incase i got my math wrong; 3oz was 91c/19g of p)

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Great thread! I needed this info!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Homemade seitan comes in at 4.9 calories per g protein
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    edited August 2015
    This thread helped me meet my protein macro for today, and I saved up a bunch of calories for a gluttonous barbecue I'm going to attend this weekend. Thank you!

92152203.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    This thread is so bookmarked.

Frozen baby clams- for Crown Prince brand, I get 16 g protein per 100 grams for 91 calories (and 164% of DV for iron!). 5.7 calories per gram (not the lowest but not bad!)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    louise5779 wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody mentioned the food that has the LEAST calories per protein gram. Egg whites! ~4.35 calories per gram. (well, there is spirulina at 4.33 but nobody just munches on spirulina pills for sustenance.)

Love eggs!! have them every day but whole eggs because I love the yolks so much!! pushes the protein/cal to 11.66.

Love this I love eggs the reason I eat eggs is for the yolk. When I was a kid I would eat just the yolk and my dad would get in me for wasting food.
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2015
    TURKEY BREAST
    24 g per 3 oz. serving

OCTOPUS
    25 g per 3 oz. serving

TOFU
    12 g per 3 oz. serving

GREEN PEAS
    7 g per 1 cup serving
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Thanks for this thread. Have it bookmarked also. Sounds like a lot of us have trouble getting in adequate protein and this sure helps! Note the term "Adequate Protein". Those who posted their angry responses to this thread didn't seem to get it... I don't think anyone here is looking to overload on protein!

I have some trouble getting the carbs up as well, believe it or not! Looking for low glycemic index carbs... But that's another topic and I can google that... Thanks everyone for your good input here!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    louise5779 wrote: »
    Protranser wrote: »
    ooo I love this list. Here's what I found from google:

Tuna (4.46 calories per gram of protein)
    Tilapia (4.96 calories per gram of protein)

When I get home I'm going to cram a bunch of prawns in my mouth to get my protein macro for the day. Hot.

92152203.png

Google is good but I have found they average a lot of things. It told me salmon was under 5 but when I actually checked the salmon I had bought the pack says 9.73 cals per 1 g instead of googles generalising.

it depends on the kind of salmon you buy.. For example, the wild caught salmon from Schwans that i use is 5.77c per 1g of p.
    (150c/26p per 5oz/142g servings)

their mahi mahi (which is really delicious) is 4.81c per 1g of p

• bored_geek
    bored_geek Posts: 11 Member
    As a point of comparison, GNC Whey Protein Isolate clocks in at 4.64 cal per 1g of protein
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Lean chicken... 4.6 per 1gram
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Protein Powder

Average of 23-26 grams protein
    Average of 100-140 cals per serving

3.8 to 6.1 cals per 1 g of protein

• loldiz
    loldiz Posts: 33 Member
    Ooh what a great thread! I really struggle to hit my protein goal - I don't eat eggs and only eat meat once or twice a week. There are some great ideas here - guess I'm gonna have to learn to eat fish! :D