How do you eat your porridge?

roscoeblue
roscoeblue Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I know from past experience that porridge is a good breakfast for me when it comes to weight loss, its easy quick and filling

Im looking for ideas to keep me interested, so far i have tried apple chopped up, strawberries and honey but i get bored easily so looking for new toppings so i dont stray! Thanks in advance

Replies

• icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    With peanut butter and a little vanilla or chocolate protein powder. Maple syrup is nice too. Nutella.
    Growing up I loved it with strawberry jam (jelly for the US I think?) stirred through, or steamed fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I add vanilla protein powder and berries to steel cut oats. I think it tastes good with just berries, but adding the protein powder makes it a lot more filling for me. Bananas are good in it too. I've thought about trying a savory version, but haven't gotten around to that.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Add bananas while it's cooking :) grating apple in also works! or try cooking with vanilla essence/cacao powder/salted caramel protein powder/chai tea. Also try topping with:
    - agave syrup and cinnamon;
    - almond butter;
    - yoghurt;
    - sliced peaches/persimmon/nectarine;
    - a square of dark chocolate (let it melt on top mmm);
    - chia seeds (cooking it with chia seeds also works and they are incredibly beneficial);
    - varied nuts;
    - dried fruit.

I hope some of this gives you ideas!
  • RayneScar
    RayneScar Posts: 44 Member
    I usually put frozen berries and some flaxseed in mine, but have heard it's yummy with almond butter, hemp and chia seeds!
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I eat cook oatmeal with a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per cup to make it taste sweeter and stir in 2 tablespoons of sugar free peanut butter, ground flax seed and sometimes dried fruit. Chia seeds would go well also. Oats are supposed to absorb fat from your digestive system and help you stay learner.
  • roscoeblue
    roscoeblue Posts: 7 Member
    Some great ideas guys thanks very much, lookingg forward to experimenting!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Nine days old!
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    With real maple syrup and a sprinkle of sea salt.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    Cook it on the stove and add in some egg whites for the most creamiest texture, and of course the extra protein hit. Make sure to stir constantly so the egg blends in. Add a bit of salt. Add some cream on top, brown sugar or maple syrup and fresh fruits (I like peaches and blueberries).
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    mmmmmmmmmm.....strawberries and almonds.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    edited August 2015
    Mixed with cookie butter or brown sugar and a little butter.
  • Treasureslide
    Treasureslide Posts: 42 Member
    I add chia seed and a tablespoon of coconut flour whilst cooking Incredibly filling. I would love all those sweet toppings but i dont think i can at this early stage of my weight loss goal.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Cinnamon, a teaspoon each of honey and peanut butter, 2 tbsp of flax milk, and 10gm of vanilla protein powder.. I look forward to it every morning :)