Thigh shape - advice on how to reshape thighs

getgemma
getgemma Posts: 40 Member
Hi all,

So I've done some internet research and it say's that to get slimmer thighs my body fat should be 18%. Have you had any success but still have a shapely body ;)

Replies

• YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    I think everybody has a stubborn spot. I lost most of my weight from my thighs and butt, which were never huge by the way, but the fat on my waist never seems to go away.
    When I take measurements I can see that it's not true at all, I HAVE lost fat and inches from my waist, but it still looks bigger than the rest. And I accept that it will always be. Even at a lower bodyfat... The remaining fat would be on my waist :smiley:
    Anyway, strength training helps a lot: you can't spot reduce but you can give your thighs a better shape and look :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Barbell Squats and some running
  • spinenthus08
    spinenthus08 Posts: 2 Member
    I agree SQUATS.
  • hopetemi762
    hopetemi762 Posts: 5 Member
    Cardio like running, walking and swimming while doing strength training will definitely help give you toned legs. Maybe try pilates.

Hope that helps :)
  • ThatBassoonChick
    ThatBassoonChick Posts: 24 Member
    Walking and running help a lot with shaping your thighs. As a former distance runner (and now working towards becoming one again) I always had really great thighs. Overtime the muscle got covered in a layer of fat (but the muscles were still there) but with an increase in walking the fat disappeared and my shapely toned thighs came back.

Like a lot of these people said, you can't pick and choose where the fat is going to come off but targeting specific areas through working out can help.
  • Johnstonab1
    Johnstonab1 Posts: 1 Member
    The stair stepper is great for legs and glutes!
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    I've been doing ballet-like Barre classes at the Y for the last 4 weeks. About 3-4 times a week. And have seen improvement. I have epically marbled cellulite-ridden legs, and I really appreciate your question and the comments here as they are giving me more great ideas!
  • Jennitalia14
    Jennitalia14 Posts: 7 Member
    Barre, vinyasa flow classes, long distance runs. I find when I do too many squats I bulk up, but you gotta listen to your genetics on this one!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    18%? How old are you? Good luck with that. It can be done, but it takes a lot of hard work and discipline. Also, keep in mind that your leg shape is largely determined by genetics, and no amount of weight loss will change that.
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    18% bodyfat is really very lean.

Fat loss changes the size of the body... weight training changes the shape of the body.

Overall bodyfat loss + resistance or bodyweight training will definately give you the results you're after.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    I think everybody has a stubborn spot. I lost most of my weight from my thighs and butt, which were never huge by the way, but the fat on my waist never seems to go away.
    When I take measurements I can see that it's not true at all, I HAVE lost fat and inches from my waist, but it still looks bigger than the rest. And I accept that it will always be. Even at a lower bodyfat... The remaining fat would be on my waist :smiley:
    Anyway, strength training helps a lot: you can't spot reduce but you can give your thighs a better shape and look :smile:

This! My waist is my problem area too. I have come to realize that for my abs to look like I would like, I would have to get to a seriously low bodyfat. And likely unless I was extremely disciplined with a very aggressive weight training program, my arms and legs would look skeletal! So at some point (and age figures in, as well as lifestyle--some of which is in your control, and some not because of life responsibilities) we all have to accept the genetic shape we have.

But weight training will help what genetics gave you to look better!