Has the amount of food you can eat changed?

I have only lost a little bit of weight (16 kilos), and I don't think my stomach has shrunk.

I used to be able to eat a whole block of chocolate, a thing of dip, a family bag of chips, a family bag of popcorn etc, and right after my main meal and STILL be hungry.

On other occassions I could eat 2 medium pizzas (one with stuffed crust), some hot chips, some chicken wings and a 1.5L bottle of Pepsi Max. I'm not sure if I could still eat that much, I usually only let myself have 3-4 pieces of pizza now and I'm usually still hungry.

The other day I got a 6 inch from Subway. I would usually get a footlong and still be hungry. I was still very hungry after my sandwich and a cookie- I went home and had a snack straight after!

Has your stomach shrunk, or does it depend on the type of food?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Eating less does not "shrink" your stomach literally. If you like to eat large meals, high volume, then eat more veggies. It will be easier to stay within your calorie goal that way
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I can still eat the same volume as always - just mostly choose not to.

Just a change of habit rather than a physical change.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

Exactly this
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Christmas Day every year confirms for me that yes, I can eat as much now as I could when I was 2 stone heavier.

I always defend my title within my family of 'biggest eater'. So proud.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's hormone-related, it doesn't have much to do with the size of your stomach. Stomach size doesn't change.

What happens is that the hormones that make you feel full tend to kick in earlier after a while... that's the only difference really.

Example - on a normal week, I'll be satisfied with a normal amount of food. But when I have PMS, I can eat 4x that without flinching. My stomach doesn't suddenly gets bigger at that time of the month... it's just hormones.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Like others have said, your stomach size doesn't actually shrink. I can eat the same amount, and possibly more if I've lifted heavy the day before. That's what makes maintenance difficult, I literally have to learn how to eat for my 130 lb self as opposed to my 170 lb self.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member

Yep, this^^.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

This exactly.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    I can't typically eat the same amount I did before, but for me that was a 115 pound difference so the amount of food I ate then was much more than I eat now. I can still overeat like the best of them, just probably not to the extent I used to.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Mine certainly seems to have shrunk. If I try to eat the former amount, regardless of the type of food, it's absolutely impossible.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I recognize when I am full more readily now. This weekend is a perfect example.

A group of us went out for sushi on Saturday. Everyone orders 2 rolls and we split so lots of flavors all around. Since there was only 5 of us and rolls came in 8 pieces, some people got more of one than another. I after tasting each roll I grabbed my favorite as my "finisher" and let everyone else pick the plates. I had a couple more pieces, but was really feeling full. Normally I stuff myself silly on sushi, but this time I just tried to enjoy the flavor.

On Sunday, my boyfriend finally mastered his grandma's meatball recipe (yay)! So he made a full family sized pack of barilla tortellini (6 servings) and six 3oz meatballs. This was to be split between me, him, and his roommate. I felt like I was at Olive Garden when I looked at how much food was on my plate. I ate half of it and boxed the rest and had it for dinner last night. I could have eaten all of it but I knew I would feel sick later.

If you are still hungry, try having a cup of low cal soup or some veggies. Fiber fills you up!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I just get uncomfortably full and I don't like feeling uncomfortable from food.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

Yup.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Stomach has some flexibility. I used to eat little,too little,now I -have- to eat way more to perform properly at gym,at first I couldn't , so I make 6 meals now to make room for all of it xD
  • vrs_2
    vrs_2 Posts: 223 Member

Agreed...although I would change "choose" to "force myself." Still a struggle on a daily basis. Appetite really never changed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

yep, this
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    16 kilos is GREAT! That's a really wonderful start!

For me, I have days where I FEEL like a bottomless pit but can only eat a little. Whereas, before, as in just two short weeks ago, I was horking down a really large volume of food every meal.

Twice we've ordered pizza and I could hardly finish two regular sized slices. Before, I sheepishly ate half the pie by myself and could have crammed two more slices in if I weren't so ashamed. No joke.

Every single meal this week, I've tried to pawn off my leftovers onto my boyfriend. He's thin and it usually works. ;)

But that might have something to do with my age. I'm 30 now. When I first lost weight at 25, I was just "starving" the entire year. And all three years after that while maintaining. Which is why I put my weight back on.

But, now, something seems different. Like my body is regulating properly. I started eating meat again so I think the presence of higher protein is to thank. :)
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    While the stomach may not shrink in size, after significant weight loss the cells in your stomach wall may have less capacity to relax to accommodate more food. The result being the same - you feel full earlier than you did before. But this has only been seen after 20% or more reduction in weight, not necessarily short term fasting. Therefore, give it more time for your body to adapt.

Also, you may want to look into Volumetrics if you are a volume eater. You can eat a huge volume of salad and broth based soup. I like to eat a lot of volume as well, and adding a large salad or vegetable soup to a meal makes it look huge and makes me feel more full.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Yes, I eat much less, but my daily calorie intake today is still around 4000 calories.
    I EAT BIG!
    :)
    The major difference is the quality of my food intake.
    Whole foods dense in nutrition are my primary focus with sprinklings of junk-like processed treats here and there.
    I believe in clean eating - lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grained, home baked stuff, beans, eggs and raw, whole and un-pasteurized dairy.
    And I also believe life is to be lived which is why I sometimes eat that twinkie smeared with pepper jam and wrapped in bacon.
    I balance clean eating as defined above with junk food in moderation.
    It works for me...