500-day streak: What I learned, why I'm quitting, and the best meal recipe

RyanTahiti
RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
Well friends, I guess this is goodbye. I completed my 500th day in a row of logging every calorie in and out of my body - food, drink, and exercise. I ran a marathon and rocked it. My lifestyle has changed and I now feel in tune with my body. So this bird is leaving the nest. Thanks, MyFitnessPal, for teaching me to fly.

I also posted the best (aka most effective) recipe I've found here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10237388/

Some of the things I learned:

1. The second week is the hardest. Keep with it.

2. Accountability, Sustainability, and Consistency are the three keys to an effective lifestyle change.

3. Log that food. No matter what. Log every calorie you intake.

4. Round up for calories in, round down for calories burned.

5. If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself. And who are you doing this for, anyway?

6. MFP overestimates my "Default Goal" for net calories by 25.8%. That's a lot.

7. Everyone has a kryptonite. What's yours? Recognize it, and get it out of sight. Ask your spouse / roommate / cat / whomever to get it out of the house. Mine is chocolate chip cookies - and I have no power over them. You're strong, but we all only have so much willpower. Just make it unavailable.

8. Listen to your body, and learn from what it's telling you. When you wake up in the morning, you can feel exactly how well you did yesterday.

9. Only weigh once a week. Same day and time of day, and consistently check in with that. Look for long week-to-week trends instead of instantaneous judgments.

10. "How do I feel?" is much more important than "What does the scale currently say?"

11. I ate 639.5 cookies over the 500 days, totaling 63,953 calories. Mostly my grandma's chocolate chip recipe. It's amazing.

12. My average gross intake has was 2013.95 calories per day, with daily gram averages of 199.28 carbs, 85.52 fat, and 113.58 protein. I burned 491.24 calories/day averaging 5.93 days/week of exercise.

13. It's about feeling better today than yesterday, every day. That's why we do this, and that's what keeps us going. We set goals to get us to the destination, but it's really about the journey.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Good luck to ya! I hit 500 tomorrow and certainly have learned a lot. :)
  • vanessasaurousrex
    vanessasaurousrex Posts: 21 Member
    Good for you. Great info thanks for sharing & good luck :smiley :smiley:
  • RyanTahiti
    Thanks, kami - congrats on the streak! What have you learned that you would add?
  • RyanTahiti
    Thank you vanessa - all the best in your journey as well :)
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Those are some awesome stats. This inspires me to be more thorough so one day I can look back and see what worked and what didn't. Thank you for sharing!
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Good luck! And great job...i have a while to go before I can leave the nest. One day I hope to be where you are and be saying I can do it without MFP
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Thank-you so much for putting everything in perspective it was very motivating. I hate you are leaving. You would be a valuable asset to mfp especially for those of us just starting out.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    This is great, but you did not address "why I'm quitting"
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    I'm glad you've found what works!
  • 4carrera911
    4carrera911 Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks for sharing!!! <3
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Best posti have seen here in a longtime!
  • RyanTahiti
    Thanks for all your kind replies. Stay strong and keep up the great work!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Awesome work man! I loved reading your post. Also, I was wondering how you came up with your average calories in/out? Does MFP have a feature that does that?
  • RyanTahiti
    edited August 2015
    vixtris, it's a 3rd-party program that runs a big macro in Excel that taps into your log, then spits out a big spreadsheet with a lot of data to sort through. As a data nerd, I find it very valuable - but as far as I know, MFP still doesn't offer anything like that.
  • vixtris
    Cool! What is the name of the program?
  • daisyls85
    daisyls85 Posts: 63 Member
    I'm also interested in the name of this program! You're will power is inspiring and you're right, the second week is the hardest!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Thank you for sharing your insights and tips. Be free and continue to soar!!! Peace out!
  • RyanTahiti
    There are a few out there - search "Export MyFitnessPal data to CSV" and you'll find a bunch. I can't even remember which one I used.
  • vixtris
    Thanks! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!