Has the amount of food you can eat changed?

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    While the stomach may not shrink in size, after significant weight loss the cells in your stomach wall may have less capacity to relax to accommodate more food. The result being the same - you feel full earlier than you did before. But this has only been seen after 20% or more reduction in weight, not necessarily short term fasting. Therefore, give it more time for your body to adapt.

Also, you may want to look into Volumetrics if you are a volume eater. You can eat a huge volume of salad and broth based soup. I like to eat a lot of volume as well, and adding a large salad or vegetable soup to a meal makes it look huge and makes me feel more full.

Ha, I was just about to post this. Do you know if the Mayo Clinic study results are published yet? I'd like to see how closely the results match the animal trials. I also wonder if they did any measurements during the study, that might show if there is a linear decrease in flexibility. I definitely feel as if my stomach capacity is reduced after just a few weeks.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I honestly eat way more volume now than I ever did when I was overweight. I used to eat very high fat, lower volume foods, now I eat tons of veggies, salads, leaner meats etc
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I eat so much. I'm constantly eating.... It's basically a part-time job.

I eat fewer calories but way more volume now.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I have to wonder sometimes because eating a meal that I could have eaten 2 plates of in the past, I have an extremely hard time eating a normal amount. It sure feels like my stomach got smaller, but maybe I just trained my brain to be able to eat past my fill line before or something.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Dr Fuhrman says that when you start eating nutrious food that your toxic hunger goes away. I expereinced this 17 days in. I stopped eating so many vegetables at lunch, some of my supper burger and soup and put in in the fride.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've got used to eating less that I just can't eat what I once did any more. ..it might be also age related but at 46 I'm hardly over the hill yet!

• carmen2657
    carmen2657 Posts: 1 Member
    Nop I can't eat the same amount anymore, I use to be able to eattt, so much food, now for example after 1 slice of pizza I feel full and yesterday for dinner I had my usually smoothie but for a change made some scramble eggwhite with veggies also, I felt so iukkkk and full.

So nop for me, even if I try I can not eat the same amount of food sadly I guess!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited August 2015
    Makepeas - The study has not been published yet. I don't think the study will show a linear decrease - subjects had to have lost at least 20% of their weight, so they won't know if say a 10% decline in weight would have an affect. They also did not measure changes in food accommodation in the subjects, only the reduction in the number of neurons that release nitric oxide.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Makepeas - The study has not been published yet. I don't think the study will show a linear decrease - subjects had to have lost at least 20% of their weight, so they won't know if say a 10% decline in weight would have an affect. They also did not measure changes in food accommodation in the subjects, only the reduction in the number of neurons that release nitric oxide.

Thanks for the clarification :)
  • YellowApple666
    YellowApple666 Posts: 35 Member
    I have the opposite problem. I actually eat a bigger amount of food now, because I eat way more veggies and fruit and less calorie-dense foods.
    In fact, I'm thinking about cutting a little bit on greens and fruit and upping my fat intake because being a volume eater tends to backfire when I eat out.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Not really. My body has learned to recognize being full a bit better than before, and I've learned to ignore cravings when my stomach feels full. Yes, I still get cravings for things when I'm full! I've just learned to not give into it. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat. If I'm eating something that I love and I feel full, I stop. I don't really want to, but I also know there's no point in making myself miserable later for that last 1/3 of the meal.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    No. At my heaviest or at 140 lb less, I still eat what I'd consider to be a medium amount (volume). It hasn't changed, I am just pickier about what I eat.

I'm one of those who really needs to count calories because I feel almost equally full eating 2 cucumbers and a little hummus as a fast food combo meal with 3 chocolate bars after it. I have unreliable, terrible cues for hunger and satiety.
  • lisaxxa
    lisaxxa Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2015
    It's your hormones changed..now your body is much healthier so you hormones and stuffs can send the right signal and make you eat the right things at the right time and with the right amount...
    How you ate doesn't sound healthy at all...so a healthy body doesn't let you have the unhealthy eating behavior..it makes senses..
  • whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    I would say yes my potions are a bit bigger. But for the first time ever I enjoy breakfast it tastes good before it was just a thing I hated doing
  • To a point yes but for me it's more about being mindful of portion sizes rather than physically not capable of eating a specific quantity.

It also depends largely on the type of food. My body just doesn't seem to tolerate fried foods or heavy fat items any more. I get physically ill so I avoid those like the plague nowadays.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    I wish. I still surprise people all the time with the colossal amount of food I can eat...
  • mmvt247
    mmvt247 Posts: 1 Member
    Guys help! I literally can't stop eating!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    I can still eat the same amounts, but I won't. I don't like being overly stuffed, and now I know how to avoid it. It also prevents me from getting fat again. It's just like magic!
  • lisab64mfp
    lisab64mfp Posts: 89 Member
    For me, I've found that hunger has little to do w/the quantity of food I consumed but more to do w/quality of food. If I eat nutritious foods, then I'm not hungry after eating. Eat the less (or in most cases of processed foods - little) nutritious foods and I can eat constantly.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    I had a mix of unhealthy things last night (I wouldn't call it a binge...) and woke up with a stomach ache. That hasn't happened for a while...