Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited August 2015
    airbent wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Okay, first of all, I also find it odd (and insulting) that so many people think it's impossible to be satisfied on 1200 calories. Of course, if you're 5'10 and active, then you'll be hungry on 1200 calories! But, as a 5'2" female, close to goal weight with a desk job I can absolutely feel full on 1100-1200 calories (and yes, that's with weighing in grams!) and that does not leave me with a huge weight loss, on average .5-.8 lbs/week. The first, and most important thing is for you to identify what makes sense FOR YOU. Don't pick 1200 calories because that seems like the fastest, most extreme way to lose and don't pick a higher calorie goal because people say that 1200 is crazy low.

With that said, to answer the OP's question, I did used to be starving on 1200 calories until I found the food combination and eating style that worked for me. Like WBB55 said, experiment and find what works for you because it is different for everyone. For me, whole foods that are full fat and high protein work best to fill me up, along with high volume foods. I discovered this when I played with going "Paleoish" for a month, following some of the principles of Paleo but not all and still measuring and tracking calories. I'm not a Paleo follower and I don't have any off limits foods now, but that month really helped me understand how filling avocado, chicken thighs and steak are, rather than chicken breast (which doesn't taste as good to me) but I used to eat because I grew up in the "low fat" crazy days. I learned that fat and protein help me feel full and refined carbohydrates do not (again, contrary to what I learned 20 years ago). Previously, when I was trying to "diet" to 1200 calories, I would eat a lot of 100 calorie packs of crackers, bread thins, and other "low fat" and those things would just make me hungrier.

So, what I eat now to feel full: soups (bone broth is awesome--high protein and low calorie) and salads for volume, meats, vegetables, fruits, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocados, eggs, almonds, kashi bars (be careful with bars, look for high protein and high fiber), etc.

I am 5'10" and very active. I did 1200/day for several years. Yes, I am capable of tracking accurately.

People have different levels of hunger. Not everybody needs to eat like a pig. Some people have WAY more self-discipline than others. It is POSSIBLE to eat at that level if you want or need to do it. It does require careful pre-planning and it will not work if you are spending a lot of your calories on processed foods.

Lots of vegetables, lean proteins and some whole grains work well. Staying hydrated is also important.

What does that have to do with eating over 1200 calories? Is someone reaching for 1500-1800 instead of 1200 now eating like a pig?

Yeah this mindset is nuts. You have to fuel yourself. If you're sedentary then 1200 might work but I can't see how it wouldn't be miserable if you're active and you're not eating exercise calories. And if you have trouble eating that much how the heck did you get fat?

I think we (myself included) get stuck in the mindset that you have to eat as little as possible to see results and so it's easy to form bad habits. We might not eat more because we're scared to, not necessarily because we're ~full. It has to be balance where you're not overeating but you're not undereating either.

i eat at least 1500 calories a day.... i'm a pig.... :(

in fact, sometimes i drink that many calories in a day....

25i9rbr.jpg
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Okay, first of all, I also find it odd (and insulting) that so many people think it's impossible to be satisfied on 1200 calories. Of course, if you're 5'10 and active, then you'll be hungry on 1200 calories! But, as a 5'2" female, close to goal weight with a desk job I can absolutely feel full on 1100-1200 calories (and yes, that's with weighing in grams!) and that does not leave me with a huge weight loss, on average .5-.8 lbs/week. The first, and most important thing is for you to identify what makes sense FOR YOU. Don't pick 1200 calories because that seems like the fastest, most extreme way to lose and don't pick a higher calorie goal because people say that 1200 is crazy low.

With that said, to answer the OP's question, I did used to be starving on 1200 calories until I found the food combination and eating style that worked for me. Like WBB55 said, experiment and find what works for you because it is different for everyone. For me, whole foods that are full fat and high protein work best to fill me up, along with high volume foods. I discovered this when I played with going "Paleoish" for a month, following some of the principles of Paleo but not all and still measuring and tracking calories. I'm not a Paleo follower and I don't have any off limits foods now, but that month really helped me understand how filling avocado, chicken thighs and steak are, rather than chicken breast (which doesn't taste as good to me) but I used to eat because I grew up in the "low fat" crazy days. I learned that fat and protein help me feel full and refined carbohydrates do not (again, contrary to what I learned 20 years ago). Previously, when I was trying to "diet" to 1200 calories, I would eat a lot of 100 calorie packs of crackers, bread thins, and other "low fat" and those things would just make me hungrier.

So, what I eat now to feel full: soups (bone broth is awesome--high protein and low calorie) and salads for volume, meats, vegetables, fruits, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocados, eggs, almonds, kashi bars (be careful with bars, look for high protein and high fiber), etc.

I am 5'10" and very active. I did 1200/day for several years. Yes, I am capable of tracking accurately.

People have different levels of hunger. Not everybody needs to eat like a pig. Some people have WAY more self-discipline than others. It is POSSIBLE to eat at that level if you want or need to do it. It does require careful pre-planning and it will not work if you are spending a lot of your calories on processed foods.

Lots of vegetables, lean proteins and some whole grains work well. Staying hydrated is also important.

What does that have to do with eating over 1200 calories? Is someone reaching for 1500-1800 instead of 1200 now eating like a pig?

Yeah this mindset is nuts. You have to fuel yourself. If you're sedentary then 1200 might work but I can't see how it wouldn't be miserable if you're active and you're not eating exercise calories. And if you have trouble eating that much how the heck did you get fat?

I think we (myself included) get stuck in the mindset that you have to eat as little as possible to see results and so it's easy to form bad habits. We might not eat more because we're scared to, not necessarily because we're ~full. It has to be balance where you're not overeating but you're not undereating either.

25i9rbr.jpg

LOL! You have no self discipline, such a shame :P
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member

25i9rbr.jpg

Those who eat the most and still lose win, right?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    for breakfast i have hard boiled egg. salad protein bar. lunch is noodles, dinner is meat and potatoes and vegies. two fruit snacks a day. done. 1200 cals
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Uh thanks. I have tons of self discipline. I ate a super strict diet for 4 months preparing for a bodybuilding show, a diet full of veggies, lean proteins and whole grains. I STILL would not be full on 1200 calories.
    People do have different hunger levels, that's true. Just because they have a higher one does not make one a pig.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

I'm also going to pass on 1200 calories a day. My TDEE is around 2600 calories, so that would put me at ~1400 calorie deficit per day and I'd net around 500 calories.

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    I had to do 1200 for some months

I filled up on veggies and fruit
    I eat it all and it is all about balance

this is one of my 1200-ish days And yes i weigh EVERYTHING! to the gram
    :)
    Plan and pre-log and it is doable...for some time. There isnt much room ofcourse. And to not be hungry i ate a lot of protein and veggies

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

After some time i could go up and now 10 months later and 105 pounds less than i was i eat between 1300 to 1600 a day sometimes more. All depends on my exercise or if i am hungry or not.
    But i fuel my body what it needs.

76145189.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Uh thanks. I have tons of self discipline. I ate a super strict diet for 4 months preparing for a bodybuilding show, a diet full of veggies, lean proteins and whole grains. I STILL would not be full on 1200 calories.
    People do have different hunger levels, that's true. Just because they have a higher one does not make one a pig.

And to add to that, I object to the idea that those who need more than 1200 do so because they fill up on "junk" as well.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »

25i9rbr.jpg

Absolutely! I was joking;)
  • Blueseraphchaos
    WBB55 wrote: »

25i9rbr.jpg

let me correct that for you:

those who drink the most and still lose win, right?

LOL
  • Blueseraphchaos

25i9rbr.jpg

but i DO have a nice little black dress. and i have a nice new alienware laptop that allows me to see all the pictures that the app took away. hmph.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    edited August 2015
    auddii wrote: »

I'm also going to pass on 1200 calories a day. My TDEE is around 2600 calories, so that would put me at ~1400 calorie deficit per day and I'd net around 500 calories.

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

yes, my tdee is about 2560....i'd probably be continuously hangry, and my kids would hate me. and my husband would avoid me like the plague. lol

ETA i also have this cat growing out of my side, and he requires a lot more calories than you'd think. he's uh...hefty. and needy.
  • Pinesgurl
    Pinesgurl Posts: 39 Member
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

Friend me. I eat a bit of everything even eat out and I come in 200 and more calories daily on my 1300 diet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

yes, my tdee is about 2560....i'd probably be continuously hangry, and my kids would hate me. and my husband would avoid me like the plague. lol

ETA i also have this cat growing out of my side, and he requires a lot more calories than you'd think. he's uh...hefty. and needy.

You know, you really should get a doctor to look at that...
  • Pinesgurl
    Pinesgurl Posts: 39 Member
    mlokie wrote: »
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

Friend me. I eat a bit of everything even eat out and I come in 200 and more calories daily under on my 1300 diet.

• Blueseraphchaos

Nope-GIF.gif?gs=a

You know, you really should get a doctor to look at that...

i know. i haven't gotten much help yet.

i have to say, it's very hard to go to work with this cat hanging from my side. at least he looks good.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    BWBTrish wrote: »

Plan and pre-log and it is doable...for some time. There isnt much room ofcourse. And to not be hungry i ate a lot of protein and veggies

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

After some time i could go up and now 10 months later and 105 pounds less than i was i eat between 1300 to 1600 a day sometimes more. All depends on my exercise or if i am hungry or not.

76145189.png

Your food looks amazing.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    BWBTrish wrote: »

7z40ou8rlebh.jpg
    iznmkm6uzb7k.jpg
    o7a6a9igtgka.jpg
    3fhtx68wrume.jpg
    pqjpgx4djhfo.jpg

76145189.png

How dare you post pictures of scrumptious food & not inform us, of what it is or not invite me over, for every meal; lol!
  • Verivus
    Verivus Posts: 16 Member
    A lot of presumptuous people in this thread. I eat 1200-1300 cals daily because I'm short (5'2"), 137 lbs (GW: 105), and not very active (gym 1-2 times a week, cardio only). It honestly sucks eating at 1200-1300, but due to my height and activity level I have very little wiggle room. I don't even eat back exercise calories, not that I lose much due to exercise in the first place. Once I hit my goal I'll be scaling back up to maintenance, which is around 1600.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,604 Member
    Lest you think only small people eat 1200 cals per day - I'm 5'9" and I have been on 1200/day for the last 5 months and have lost about 16 lbs in that time. I started at 1400 cals/day and could not lose weight at all at that level. I get a gym workout 3 days/week and walk & lift free weights the off days. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with my age - 70. And most people that I know who are around my age have had to eat around 1200 - 1600 in order to either lose or maintain a normal body weight. If I eat just one big hefty (you might call it a normal size - say 600 cals) meal - the next day the scale jumps by 2 lbs.

I'm quite happy with my weight loss. I'm at 159 and my next goal is 150. I'm finally in my normal BMI range, thanks to my 1200 cals/day.