I have been eating healthy and Gained 6 pounds Please help

124»

Replies

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    edited August 2015
    faji2015 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    So i have been eating 1440 Calories That's what MFP tells me to eat to lose 2 pounds a week I went and weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 223 and i was 217 2 weeks ago I measure my Food with Measuring cups And i walk and burn off 300 calories a day I need help figuring out should i be exercising more or eating less? Because i am doing something wrong And my Stats are I am a Female 5'3 223 And my BMR is 1,736 - 1800 different websites say different numbers any help or suggestions will be appreciated thanks

Hi Michelle,

If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you realize. However, if you've started a new exercise, some of the weight increase could be water.

If you open your diary you will get more concrete advice.

Weigh all your food as eyeballs and measuring devices are deceiving.

Also, what do you do to burn 300 calories? If you use MFP or internet estimates those are way overestimated. Eat only about 60-75 % of those back.

What do you have your activity level set at?

I am Doing Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home 3 Mile walk And i put my Activity level at Sedentary But I do move around alot being a mom to 2 boys :) Do you think eating 1440 calories a day is too low for a BMR of 1700-1800? I feel Like i am doing everything wrong And thanks again for all your help :)

Your 5.3" and if your activity level is sedentary(pardon me If I am wrong) How can mfp suggests you to eat 1440 as I am 5.5' and sedentary but my limit is 1200 for 2lbs.

Given the amount the original poster has to lose (100 pounds, as I recall) (and going from my own experience), when I started, with 90 pounds to lose, my goal for the day was on the order of 1400.

5'2", sedentary, originally 218 pounds, now 142. Still 20 to go, and now I am at 1200, but I started with 1400+calories/day.

Your mileage may vary.

• faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    So i have been eating 1440 Calories That's what MFP tells me to eat to lose 2 pounds a week I went and weighed myself yesterday and I weigh 223 and i was 217 2 weeks ago I measure my Food with Measuring cups And i walk and burn off 300 calories a day I need help figuring out should i be exercising more or eating less? Because i am doing something wrong And my Stats are I am a Female 5'3 223 And my BMR is 1,736 - 1800 different websites say different numbers any help or suggestions will be appreciated thanks

Hi Michelle,

If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you realize. However, if you've started a new exercise, some of the weight increase could be water.

Also, what do you do to burn 300

Your 5.3" and if your activity level is sedentary(pardon me If I am wrong) How can mfp suggests you to eat 1440 as I am 5.5' and sedentary but my limit is 1200 for 2lbs.

Given the amount the original poster has to lose (100 pounds, as I recall) (and going from my own experience), when I started, with 90 pounds to lose, my goal for the day was on the order of 1400.

5'2", sedentary, originally 218 pounds, now 142. Still 20 to go, and now I am at 1200, but I started with 1400+calories/day.

Your mileage may vary.

Thank you for the clarification :smile:
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Heavier bodies require more energy day to day, while lighter bodies require less fuel. I held off on recalculating my goals after I lost the first 60 pounds or so, and stalled. I needed to drop my intake to not be at maintenance. I was very sad dropping from 1400+ to 1350, and then to 1200. :( Now I just have to work harder for every pound lost because 1200 doesn't actually have me at much of a deficit. That's one of the reasons it gets harder as you approach your goal weight, especially if you're generally sedentary.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    OP - have you lost any weight at all or is this your first 2 weeks? In addition to weighing your food, I would also take a close look at your macros. Make sure you hit your protein & fat target. Surprisingly no one has suggested this thread, but this is an excellent post, please take a moment to read it. (Very informative useful read.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member

Hi Michelle,

Also, what do you do to burn 300 calories? If you use MFP or internet estimates those are way overestimated. Eat only about 60-75 % of those back.

What do you have your activity level set at?

I am Doing Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home 3 Mile walk And i put my Activity level at Sedentary But I do move around alot being a mom to 2 boys :) Do you think eating 1440 calories a day is too low for a BMR of 1700-1800? I feel Like i am doing everything wrong And thanks again for all your help :)

Your 5.3" and if your activity level is sedentary(pardon me If I am wrong) How can mfp suggests you to eat 1440 as I am 5.4"and sedentary but my limit is 1200 for 2lbs.

It is saying to lose a 1.5 pound a week to eat 1420 a day I have no idea lol That's what it is telling me to eat
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
    OP - have you lost any weight at all or is this your first 2 weeks? In addition to weighing your food, I would also take a close look at your macros. Make sure you hit your protein & fat target. Surprisingly no one has suggested this thread, but this is an excellent post, please take a moment to read it. (Very informative useful read.)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This is my first 2 weeks
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    @freeza12 see those numbers under exercise? If I didn't eat those back or at least some of them, then I'd be netting in the very low hundreds calories. Definitely not safe or healthy..

pu7rlw58010f.png
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    OP, I'm not sure if someone mentioned this or not yet, but nobody has an exact weight. You have a weight range, and you'll fluctuate up and down within that range from day to day depending on a lot of factors (hydration, sodium, rest, weight of food still in your system, etc.). Definitely get your own scale and weigh in at the same time of day under the same circumstances, but be prepared for your weight to fluctuate. You'll get to learn how big your range is, and get used to identifying those fluctuations. It's the overall big picture that matters, not any one weigh-in.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    freeza12 wrote: »
    Eating back calories after you've exercised is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Two part: Why in god's name do you bother exercising if you're going to put the calories back in? What a waste of time, effort and money!
    Secondly, it's highly likely you're eating much more than you exercised. For example, half an hour on the bike equals one slice of pizza.

Weight loss ain't easy and you have a big hill to climb - you can't trick the weight off, so stop kidding yourself and get serious.

You sound really really rude.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Food scale.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Doesn't anyone get tired of telling people, day after day, that they need to use a food scale instead of measuring cups? Not that I'm disagreeing!! The advice is correct. But man, for all the regular posters here, it must be aggravating lol

Sorry to but in on the post, btw. I feel better that I got that off my chest.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Doesn't anyone get tired of telling people, day after day, that they need to use a food scale instead of measuring cups? Not that I'm disagreeing!! The advice is correct. But man, for all the regular posters here, it must be aggravating lol

What is annoying is the amount of verified entries on MFP that are in CUPS instead of GRAMS or Oz.
    Get with the program Under-Armour ;-)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

What is annoying is the amount of verified entries on MFP that are in CUPS instead of GRAMS or Oz.
    Get with the program Under-Armour ;-)

ugggh so true :rage:

• sarelen
    sarelen Posts: 1 Member
    Oh! I had to read down a bit to discover you're exercising. Take heart. This is completely normal in the beginning. You're building muscle which weighs more than fat and your body hasn't quite geared into fat burning mode yet. Right now your body is also building tons of new blood vessels to handle the new flow pumping from your new routine. This is why you're tired too. You might be overdoing it a bit. Make sure you're getting balanced protein, carbs and sleep. Hang in there. I'm pulling for you! Btw, I used to own a fitness gym and I've seen this happen a lot.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 401 Member
    tldr

Jumping on the food scale bandwagon, I measured vs weighed a cup of black grapes and the measuring cup was nearly double the cals it was supposed to be for a serving size vs the weighed.