PLZ HELP: Bone-In Chicken Calories

itsMcKay
itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
Hi, all,

I have a chicken thigh in the oven. It weighs 16.5 oz., skinless, bone-in.

How can I calculate calories for this without having to weigh it after it's cooked or take the bone out and weigh that?

Isn't there a rule-of-thumb for these?

I would imagine ~45 calories per ounce of meat but how to account for the bone?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• itsMcKay
    Please, any help at all?
  • itsMcKay
    I do have a scale. Was asking how to weigh the whole thing without pulling the bone out. :/

I guess no one has a rule of thumb then???
  • itsMcKay
    I just called it 150 calories per thigh. The 16.5 is two thighs.

Guess everyone's too busy on the chit-chat threads.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    itsMcKay wrote: »
    I do have a scale. Was asking how to weigh the whole thing without pulling the bone out. :/

Mine is to Google things... I do it at least once every few days to check foods.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member

Those are really big thighs. I just had two chicken drumsticks, bone in and they weighed approx 2 oz ea cooked. The bones weighed 1 oz. I googled dark meat chicken with skin, roasted and came up with 72 calories per ounce. MFP numbers entered by users are all over the place, they vary enormously so I double checked. Hope that helps!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    I'll just guess that you'll get 5 oz of meat out of an 8 ounce thigh, leaving behind the skin, bone and some connective tissue left on each end.
    I've got 2 frozen thighs that weigh 16.6 oz. I've also got a cooked frozen thigh bone with most all the meat chewed off that weighs 1.4 oz. I don't remember weighing thigh skin. Also, keep in mind that you lose some weight it the cooking.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    You're talking about a pound of chicken thigh being 300 calories? You're looking at a lot more than that. If you have a scale, why not just weigh it before you eat and then weigh what you don't consume? I don't understand why you're looking for a rule of thumb when you have the equipment to be precise.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/897?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&qlookup=&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&_action_show=Apply+Changes&Qv=4.34&Q2186=1&Q2187=1
  • itsMcKay
    tomatoey wrote: »

Mine is to Google things... I do it at least once every few days to check foods.

You don't need to be a jerk. I googled the hell out of it. Go away.
  • itsMcKay
    I just ended up doing it the normal way, which I planned to anyway if I couldn't find a rule of thumb. I don't know why tomatoey felt the need to spell out simple math...? :/ Why does everyone on the internet seem to think everyone but them is stupid?

Anyway, I only ate one. Pawned the other off on my bf who had two of his own. :) The bone was only one ounce. 30 g to be specific. So That left 7.5 oz. of meat and skin. At 55 calories per ounce, that's 412 calories.

I know how to do this. I was hoping to find a rule of thumb. So, now, the rule of thumb, as far as I'm concerned is:

SUBTRACT ONE OUNCE FOR THE BONE.

EsmeSqualor: you were dead on. THANK YOU!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    I just ended up doing it the normal way, which I planned to anyway if I couldn't find a rule of thumb. I don't know why tomatoey felt the need to spell out simple math...? :/ Why does everyone on the internet seem to think everyone but them is stupid?

Anyway, I only ate one. Pawned the other off on my bf who had two of his own. :) The bone was only one ounce. 30 g to be specific. So That left 7.5 oz. of meat and skin. At 55 calories per ounce, that's 412 calories.

I know how to do this. I was hoping to find a rule of thumb. So, now, the rule of thumb, as far as I'm concerned is:

So, you've weighed one thigh bone and, based on that, all chicken thigh bones will now be considered to weigh one ounce? What happens when they weigh 2 ounces? What about a half ounce? An extra half ounce of chicken is quite a few calories.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Hi, all,
    Please, any help at all?
    I don't know why tomatoey felt the need to spell out simple math...? :/ Why does everyone on the internet seem to think everyone but them is stupid?

So McKay, Do you see any pattern in your own comments?
  • itsMcKay

So, you've weighed one thigh bone and, based on that, all chicken thigh bones will now be considered to weigh one ounce? What happens when they weigh 2 ounces? What about a half ounce? An extra half ounce of chicken is quite a few calories.

No, I weighed four and they averaged out to 30 g. All the thighs in the freezer are the same total weight and size. I don't freak out about a difference of 20 calories for food. I have too much left to lose to be that precise right now. If it becomes a problem, I'll reevaluate.
  • itsMcKay
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Hi, all,
    Please, any help at all?
    I don't know why tomatoey felt the need to spell out simple math...? :/ Why does everyone on the internet seem to think everyone but them is stupid?

So McKay, Do you see any pattern in your own comments?

Yeah, I'm frustrated with not getting an answer to the question I asked.
  • itsMcKay
    MyFitnessPal used to be awesome. Now it's a mess of people just talking about "WHICH POSTER WOULD YOU SLEEP WITH?!" It's dumb. I practically had to beg for help with an actual fitness-related question.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Come on... why fight over a chicken bone! :)
  • itsMcKay
    Exactly. It's pathetic. Everything here is a fight now.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Lol well good luck in your weight loss journey :)

(I felt the need to spell it out because you seemed to need help spelling it out.)
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    MFP is full of smart *kitten* these days... Honestly, I've never subtracted anything. I weigh them with bone in and leave it at that. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    I cut the cooked meat off and weigh it.