Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Replies

• airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2015

coco_bee wrote: »
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

In answer to your questions. How do I manage it? I make it my daily pledge. A pledge is a promise that I cant break, no matter how hard it gets.
    You say you get super hungry - ask yourself these questions - how hungry are you? Is it real stomach hunger or emotional hunger or are your taste buds hungry for something you crave with your mind? Are you eating enough? Are their certain foods that make you feel more hungry?
    I practice mindful eating. This makes me more aware of when I am truly hungry. I dont stuff myself to fullness anymore. I eat very slowly and I eat to half-full which is enough for my body to function and still meets my daily calorie requirement.
    I dont have typical meals and I eat what I want (within reason and with limitation). I enjoy every.single.bite. Food should be enjoyed :)
    For health reasons I try not to go overboard with foods that are high in saturated fat or sugar.
    I never feel famished. If for example I feel hungry before bed, I will have a yogurt to make the hunger pangs go away so I can have a good sleep.

I'm not sure "convince yourself you're not hungry" is a healthy strategy. It does no good to go from one extreme to another just because you want to lose weight. You should be eating for fuel and enjoyment, but not more fuel than you need. It's about learning to moderate not learning to be ok w/starving.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    You can definitely get "full" on 1200 calories if that's one or two substantial meals. But you won't feel full all day long, no. You will be hungry at some point.

Losing fat requires being hungry. It's ok to be hungry. Get used to being hungry sometimes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    tabl_23 wrote: »
    I usually do a 2 day detox....especially if I'm experiencing heavy cravings and high hunger. Usually after a 2 day detox 1200 calories seems like a ton! But the 2 day detox sucks! But as long as I stay around 1200 calories...I don't need to do another detox. It's only when I over eat heavily for a period of days....like holidays eat.

Notice....this is a detox.....not a fast. I do 1 day of vegetables only (excluding potatoes). 3.3 lbs.
    Then 1 day of only fruit (2.2 lbs)

That mentality of punishing yourself for wanting more food sounds ... worrisome.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm at 1300 today. I would have been full on 1200, I used at least 100 calories of PB2 in my protein fluff which doesn't need it.

Oh, and that's how I get full. High volume: veg, protein, and that protein fluff

PB2 in protein fluff? I'm interested in this concoction. What is it? How do you make it?

• maedj
    maedj Posts: 1 Member
    I eat 3 meals a day which are generally made up of lots of vegetables, as well as low calorie snacks like plain popcorn or low-calorie cereal bars. Makes a lot of difference doing some exercise too, so that you're allowed a little bit more, even just walking for a short while or doing some relaxing yoga.

When you cook, don't use too much oil, or use low calorie alternatives- this will help immensely without making a difference to how full you are!

Hope that helps a little?
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    I have a 1200 limit (and an open diary). I make almost all my meals from scratch and during the week I snack between to keep me full (although I've always had to do that) I do eat excercise cals back sometimes more than others but it's doable. It suits me . Oh and I'm particularly anal about weighing my food. Even have a pocket scale in my bag. If it's my homemade I work out the cals, if it's someone else's I try ago stay away as it's not quantifiable.
    Almost 3 months doing this on MFP 1 stone 7 pounds down. Total loss 5stone 7 pounds. So if you want to put the effort in / can realistically live on that amount of cals then it can work x
  • Xena518
    Xena518 Posts: 3 Member
    It's hard on 1200 but your body will get used to it. I drink water as fills you up as well.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Why 1200 :s

Because this is approximately my TDEE -20%

Your TDEE is 1500? That seems low...
    What are your stats? Activity level? Exercise?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited August 2015
    I am always surprised on these threads at the number of people who believe that if you are female, petite (5'2 and under), have a desk job, and maybe over a certain age you are destined to have to eat 1200 cals in order to lose weight.

I am 5'2, have a desk job, am over 40 and lose weight anywhere under 1700 cals net. My TDEE is ~2100 and it's not like I'm a marathon runner.

I started at 1200 too, was always over, but kept losing. I raised my goal first to 1400, then 1500, still losing. After I had less than 15 lbs to lose I raised it to 1650 and was losing about 0.5/week. I always eat back my exercise cals. Every last one of them too.

I would advise if you are having trouble meeting your calorie goals you should:
    1. Reevaluate to make sure that's the right number for you. Maybe try a higher number for a few weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised.
    2. Exercise and eat back at least a portion of your calories
    3. Eat more nutrient dense, satiating foods.

ETA I think many people could benefit from steps 1-3 above, not just if you are struggling to stay within goal...
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    I usually do a 2 day detox....especially if I'm experiencing heavy cravings and high hunger. Usually after a 2 day detox 1200 calories seems like a ton! But the 2 day detox sucks! But as long as I stay around 1200 calories...I don't need to do another detox. It's only when I over eat heavily for a period of days....like holidays eat.

my liver and kidneys detox my body

Sometimes, that's called a "hard reset" as that's more accurate than "detox." Basically, you're "resetting" your brain and body's expectations with a very strict day or two, so the regular days feel regular again. I did this Monday after a carb orgy over the weekend. If I don't, I crave the carby foods for days or even weeks. Or, I can do a hard reset to get myself back into the right mindset and I'm only craving for a single day or less. I think those of us with heavy carb cravings would find a hard reset more useful than those who are able to practice moderation. That's a personal thought based on anecdotes, not a medical fact.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

In answer to your questions. How do I manage it? I make it my daily pledge. A pledge is a promise that I cant break, no matter how hard it gets.
    You say you get super hungry - ask yourself these questions - how hungry are you? Is it real stomach hunger or emotional hunger or are your taste buds hungry for something you crave with your mind? Are you eating enough? Are their certain foods that make you feel more hungry?
    I practice mindful eating. This makes me more aware of when I am truly hungry. I dont stuff myself to fullness anymore. I eat very slowly and I eat to half-full which is enough for my body to function and still meets my daily calorie requirement.
    I dont have typical meals and I eat what I want (within reason and with limitation). I enjoy every.single.bite. Food should be enjoyed :)
    For health reasons I try not to go overboard with foods that are high in saturated fat or sugar.
    I never feel famished. If for example I feel hungry before bed, I will have a yogurt to make the hunger pangs go away so I can have a good sleep.

Sounds like an ED in the making.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    I wait to eat until later in the day..I stay busy with 10 hour work days so I just don't get hungry during that time. By the time I get home at 4pm I can have two big meals of 600 cals each.
    I eat low cal/high volume, nutrient rich foods like entire bags of veggies, grilled chicken, baked potatos.
    Also ranch dressing..I owe a lot of my 45lb loss to it...I can eat a huge bag of nutritious veggies with only 100 cals of ranch on it and I still find it very apetising =)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member

I use an Ideal Shape meal replacement shake for two of the five small meals they recommend. 110 calories and many of the nutrients needed. Although you don't feel full/bloated,( you feel that you COULD eat,) you do not feel hungry that you HAVE to eat. That's been the change for me, not feeling hungry but not being over stuffed. A little exercise also helps stave off feeling hungry for a while.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

I use an Ideal Shape meal replacement shake for two of the five small meals they recommend. 110 calories and many of the nutrients needed. Although you don't feel full/bloated,( you feel that you COULD eat,) you do not feel hungry that you HAVE to eat. That's been the change for me, not feeling hungry but not being over stuffed. A little exercise also helps stave off feeling hungry for a while.

Tried those. Didn't fill me up one bit...

Still don't get it, lol.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member

Yes.

Mindful eating takes practice. I spent 6 months before surgery learning how to do this, how to feel about hunger, how to figure out if I'm hungry, thirsty, or bored. Once I figured out the mental game, the eating less has been easy. I admit, I can't wait to add more foods to my current diet, because some days are a little boring. But that's my GI tract cooperating and if it doesn't, oh well. I now see food as a tasty vehicle for nutrients and not much else. More tasty would be great, but it is what it is.

airbent wrote: »
    I'm not sure "convince yourself you're not hungry" is a healthy strategy. It does no good to go from one extreme to another just because you want to lose weight. You should be eating for fuel and enjoyment, but not more fuel than you need. It's about learning to moderate not learning to be ok w/starving.

This is exactly what mindful eating isn't. It's not saying, "I'm not hungry." That's an eating disorder. Mindful eating is analyzing if you're actually hungry, not bored or thirsty. And if you are hungry, what's the best way to get nutrients? Mindful eating is really about planning food to get the most out of it for the least unwanted addition, be that calories, fat, carbs, salt, etc. Mindful eating is all about eating until you're nourished, which may or may not be "full." I feel hungry and I act on that hunger by eating. However, through mindful eating, I also know that a little hunger for a little while won't kill me while I decide the best food to deal with the hunger.

"Mindful eating" is really putting a name/title to a concept most everyone here already practices... what are you eating and why and how to meet your weight goals with food? Kinda what we're all doing using various methods.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Fruit and veg, really. I'm only 5'1'', which is why I keep to 1200-1300. Also, I can only sustain it really if I have one maintenance level day per week. I could raise the calorie level every day, but having that one day when I can have a meal out and a glass of wine with my husband is better for me.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    Fruit and veg, really. I'm only 5'1'', which is why I keep to 1200-1300. Also, I can only sustain it really if I have one maintenance level day per week. I could raise the calorie level every day, but having that one day when I can have a meal out and a glass of wine with my husband is better for me.

I'm trying the same now. Doing a couple 1300 calorie days so I can be a normal person on the weekend.

I've been full enough this week on 1300. Admittedly, I chew a bit of gum, drink black coffee, and eat a stupid amount of veggies and protein-which makes my fat intake drop a bit low. Have to find a good way to fix that up. 50 grams of avocado per day isn't doing it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am always surprised on these threads at the number of people who believe that if you are female, petite (5'2 and under), have a desk job, and maybe over a certain age you are destined to have to eat 1200 cals in order to lose weight.

I am 5'2, have a desk job, am over 40 and lose weight anywhere under 1700 cals net. My TDEE is ~2100 and it's not like I'm a marathon runner.

I started at 1200 too, was always over, but kept losing. I raised my goal first to 1400, then 1500, still losing. After I had less than 15 lbs to lose I raised it to 1650 and was losing about 0.5/week. I always eat back my exercise cals. Every last one of them too.

I would advise if you are having trouble meeting your calorie goals you should:
    1. Reevaluate to make sure that's the right number for you. Maybe try a higher number for a few weeks and see what happens. You might be surprised.
    2. Exercise and eat back at least a portion of your calories
    3. Eat more nutrient dense, satiating foods.

ETA I think many people could benefit from steps 1-3 above, not just if you are struggling to stay within goal...

Rather than criticizing others or assuming they're doing something wrong, perhaps you should be very thankful.

I'm 4'10" (on a good day, and with a bit of fudging ;)) so . . . really short. I'm also 52 and hypothyroid.

Per the Scooby site my BMR is 1260. My sedentary TDEE is 1512 and lightly active TDEE is 1733. And keep in mind those numbers aren't taking hypothyroidism into consideration. Thankfully, according to my Fitbit I've yet to have a truly sedentary day. But my highest TDEE day has been 2043, and that involved walking a little over five miles, over ten flights of stairs, plus spending four hours on hands and knees giving my (large) kitchen floor a very thorough scrubbing.

You might also keep in mind that as you age your estimated TDEE will likely decline, too. There's quite a difference in "over 40" and "over 50." And I'm sure it's not going to get any better. ;)