Losing weight/trying to recover

So I have had an eating disorder on and off for about 10 years now.
I need to lose some weight, but I keep falling back into bad habits.
I try to keep to around 1200 calories, but then I eat more. And then I freak out and restrict. And then I end up basically binging. And then unhealthy things to "get rid of the calories" even though the logical part of my mind knows that it is not that simple, and that I will still have to either exercise or restrict a certain amount of calories in order to offset it or I will gain weight.

And I'm incapable of following a meal plan. I eat so much garbage. I know the right things to do, I just can't seem to do them. Any tips or advice. (Aside from the usual, "go get help" or "go to your doctor" because I'm not capable of that)

Replies

• katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Why is getting some pro advice not an option? I found that I couldn't get healthy before I had my head straight and that required professional help. No shame in that.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited August 2015
    Don't be so restrictive. Set MFP for losing 0.5 pounds per week and eat those calories.

Record what you eat and drink, no matter what that is. You won't be perfect so don't expect yourself to be. If you have a bad day, let it go and aim to meet your goal tomorrow. One day at a time.

Slowly make changes to what you eat but only make changes that you can live with forever. Find things that are just as satisfying. If you can't find things that are just as satisfying, then just keep eating what you are eating now but in small enough portions to meet your calorie goal.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Because my anxiety is too intense to do so. Making appointments, having to take time of work, it is just very overwhelming
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Because my anxiety is too intense to do so. Making appointments, having to take time of work, it is just very overwhelming

I get that. I just had my first appointment with a therapist last night. Had my mom call and pretend to be me to even make the appointment.

If you want to avoid therapy, tryout yoga. It helped me a lot to clear the evil thoughts. I've had EDNOS for 17 years, and upping my calories fairly high helps me not worry about overeating.
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    My_Butt wrote: »

I get that. I just had my first appointment with a therapist last night. Had my mom call and pretend to be me to even make the appointment.

If you want to avoid therapy, tryout yoga. It helped me a lot to clear the evil thoughts. I've had EDNOS for 17 years, and upping my calories fairly high helps me not worry about overeating.

Yoga I like if it's hot yoga and then yea I can eat more. I went to a treatment place, and stopped after the first family session. Before that, I'd go to therapists twice and I wouldn't open up so my parents wouldn't take me anymore. Plus I think the therapists thought it was a waste of time
  • YehuditIsFat
    YehuditIsFat Posts: 8 Member
    I am in a similar boat.
    Maybe try setting both daily and weekly goals.
    Like say, 1200 a day and 9000 a week. That way, you have a little room (1200 x 7 is only 8400) for error, and if you undereat or overeat one day, you can make it up the next day and still be on track and winning.
    That's what I do, and i do it with gym time too. :smiley:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

You just stated one more very serious reason to get an appointment with a therapist. There are therapists who can talk to you over skype. Or can suggest other solutions, it is their job to know how to help you. A calorie counting site might seem an easy solution, but it will probably only make things worse for you, not better. Seek a therapist. Perhaps the experience you had int he past was negative, but a good therapist can make a huge difference.