Exercises

randilast
randilast Posts: 99 Member
So I just did the Pilates Fix and wow! It was crazy hard and I'm worried I may not do the planks right. I do the modified plank (on my knees) but I'm always catching my shoulders up by my ears and I feel the workout in the small of my back. Not painful but am I supposed to?

Otherwise, it went okay. Had to stop a lot, especially on the holds. Hopefully it will make me more flexible over time.

Replies

• CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Planks: Try pulling your belly button in towards your spine. Your back should be flat between your shoulders and your hips. Look at the correction autumn gives the girl with the amazing Afro during the work out. I think it's during the bonus round? She pulls her butt up into the air just a little. I've found that helps my back.

As for the shoulders, I'm not sure what that's about, but I have to pull my shoulders away from my ears l the time!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    The planks annoy me too. Only because I'm fine with them most of the time, but in most of the workouts there is shoulder work, so on this doubles week there has been twice as much shoulder work and that causes me to have to use my knees for some of the plank stuff. I'm tired, ladies; very tired. It's almost over. Doubles week makes the first 14 days seem like a breeze.
  • rjpittner
    rjpittner Posts: 70 Member
    You shouldn't feel anything in your back, upper or lower. Try contracting your booty and glutes while simultaneously pulling in your abs. A good trick a yoga instructor once taught me while planking is to try to "push the earth away from you"...that way your shoulders don't creep up and you don't feel that tension in the back! :-)
  • randilast
    @rjpittner @synacious @CrosbyMcDowell Thanks for the tips! I'll keep those in mind whenever Autumn has me doing planks again. I slept in again this morning so I didn't cross off the Cardio Fix video yet. I took a peek at it last night and it seems too intense for me to do on my lunch hour, and I work tonight at my second job. I'm making the plan, right now, to do Cardio Fix tomorrow morning, work my second job (5 hours) and then come home and do Dirty 30. I'll still do Zumba on my lunch break today but it's easier to do that since I can moderate the intensity and it's only 20 minutes versus 35.
    @synacious "Doubles week makes the first 14 days seem like a breeze." Yikes. Especially since this week has made me feel even more out of shape. I'm cheering you on! You can do it!
  • randilast
    Just completed cardio fix and whew! Those burpees were killer! I think I only managed 6 modified versions.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Well, today is officially the last day of doubles week, as doubles week still only has yoga by itself on Sunday. It was hard, I'm not going to lie. Especially since on two of the days I also went running for 2.5 miles and I walked for 5 miles every day. I think my legs are finally failing on me. All I have to do is Pilates in a half hour and the hard part is over. Tomorrow, I do plan on going running in the morning and doing the yoga when I get back. In any case, I can actually say I did it. I did not do the 3 Day Quick Fix eating plan for the last three days and I did allow myself extra protein or veggies on the days I did three workouts. I guess I'll see what happens during my weigh-in tomorrow morning.
  • randilast
    Good luck @synacious ! I'm sure it's going to be awesome. I'm not following the food plan this round, beyond being aware of portion sizes and calorie count. Hopefully I'll still see results at the end of this.
    Kept my promise! Completed both Cardio Fix and Dirty 30 today. Even have a friend staying the night and told her I'd be working out in front of my TV, lol
  • rjpittner
    edited August 2015
    So excited for you, @synacious! :-) Tomorrow is yoga and then it's two-a-days for me as well! I'm really looking forward to kicking some butt (although I am expecting mine to be kicked just as equally in return ;-P). I'm just so excited by the progress I've seen so far. The weight isn't coming off as drastically now as it did during week #1, but I'm SEEING my body change, which is even better if you ask me! Can't wait to hear how weigh-in day goes for you! Way to go, girl! :-) Oh, also! Have you given any thought to upping to 21DF Extreme!? I've been eyeballing it, but I'm definitely going to do a round or two more of 21DF once I've finished to build up some more tolerance...that and I'm not ready to give up my English muffins yet! :-(
  • randilast
    Today was the Upper Fix and I modified some of the exercises so my hips wouldn't start popping again. When Autumn had me doing the circle crunches, I did them on my stability ball to help my lower back. Still really worked out my core, but until I gain more strength there it helps me keep the correct form.
    @rjpittner Your suggestions regarding plank positions really helped! While doing the forearm plank I think I held longer than I did last week. Still took a break but I did it! And I challenged myself to do some of the moves with weights before going to the modified version. I'll keep pushing myself until I'm following Autumn all the way!!!
    I'm very happy that I'm sticking with the program still. I normally get like this, amped up and ready to lose weight, and after a bit of time goes by I'll slide back to my sloth nature. Working hard to make sure that doesn't happen!
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    So yesterday was day three for me. Lower fix. I was honestly pretty nervous about it because I was STILL so sore from day 1 total body cardio. So I was actually thinking of doing a different workout first but then thought no follow schedule, it’s set for a reason. So I did and I’m so proud of myself!! I did some modified moves when I felt my legs shaking too much but my energy really kicked up about 10 min in and it felt awesome!! Really loving this program so far you guys! 
  • rjpittner
    That's awesome @Randilast! Glad to hear it!

@Ladybug1250: That's great! Those first few days are so hard, but you've obviously got the will power to push your way through it! Lower fix is one of my favorites next to pilates...they burn so good! :-) Keep up the good work, ladies!!!
  • eliseandlila
    eliseandlila Posts: 10 Member
    Day 3 of extreme for me - Pilates. I also did Saturday's workout dirty thirty, since I work a 16 hour shift that day. Can I admit something? I hate that band. I'm sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow.
  • musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    I just got the 21 day fix in the mail today! i just finished total body cardio fix for day 1!

I am sweating so much and when I walk my legs feel like jello but i got through it.

I had to modify for some of the moves but I am proud of myself for finishing it.
  • randilast
    Got my FitBit Charge HR last night and was SUPER excited to use it this morning when doing Cardio Fix!!! Check out my heart rate! da1kht7hjcya.png

I love seeing the spikes and valleys, totally proves that Autumn is working you hard. That last spike? That was me attempting to do modified burpees. My arms and legs were so tired by that point I dropped to my knees a few times while trying to step back (versus jump back.) But I would just stop, breathe and try again.
  • randilast
    @musicfan4life Congrats on starting the program! I'm right there with you, the first time I did Total Body Cardio Fix... actually every video has me sweating like crazy and walking with noodle legs. But you're doing it! That's what counts and you're going to enjoy seeing every little bit of progress you'll make.
    Welcome to the group!
  • musicfan4life30
    edited August 2015
    randilast wrote: »
    @musicfan4life Congrats on starting the program! I'm right there with you, the first time I did Total Body Cardio Fix... actually every video has me sweating like crazy and walking with noodle legs. But you're doing it! That's what counts and you're going to enjoy seeing every little bit of progress you'll make.
    Welcome to the group!

Thanks for welcoming me to the group! :)

I'm doing the Total Body Cardio Fix again today because yesterday I didn't start with the containers until dinner.

This morning I have done the containers so when i get home this afternoon I am going to do the Total Body Cardio Fix again with my Mom. My Mom didn't do the video yesterday so I told her i would do it with her.

So yesterday was a practice day for me and today is day 1 of my 21 day fix :)

I will post after I am done doing the video.

I'm going to wear my fitbit while doing the video and see how many calories I burn and how many steps I do.
  • randilast
    randilast wrote: »
    I'm going to wear my fitbit while doing the video and see how many calories I burn and how many steps I do.

What kind of FitBit do you have? @synacious just helped me straighten out my Charge HR. And maybe we can be FitBit friends! My user profile is: https://www.fitbit.com/user/358F79
  • musicfan4life30
    I have a fitbit zip but i couldn't find it today.

I still did the Total Body Cardio Fix workout video today!
    I am sweating just as much as yesterday and my legs are feeling the workout again but that is okay!

I can't wait to move onto day 2 tomorrow! :)
  • musicfan4life30
    Yesterday I did Upper Fix workout video.

I just finished the Lower fix workout video and I'm sweating a lot! :)

• randilast
    I crashed early yesterday after work so didn't do my dirty 30. Completed it this morning and I'll do yoga in a bit. But those side arm planks get me! I do the modified version but it's still hard for me to get off the ground.