Hiking - Come share your tips and experiences.

Hey everyone,

I don't seem to meet many people on here who have hiked at all, let alone hike at the moment. I'm fairly new to hiking, it has become a part of my routine over the past month as I have started on this journey.

So far I have done a 70km (43m), 40km (24m) and 30km (18m) as my top three hikes. They were done straight through in one go. The thing is that I really love hiking and would love to go more often but my feet just fail me.

I have had many blisters, mainly interdigital, several black toe nails and pretty severe bruising around the outside of the calf (only one) from the boots. Even resting my feet for a week doesn't result in anything close to healing and the next hike compounds the problems.

I did the 30km in trainers, had heel blisters so got a pair of hiking boots. I wore those on the 70km hike (admittedly I was stupid to break them in on this) and had severe issues as listed above. The 40km the week after just compounded the existing issues making them worse and resulted in new ones due to adjusted gait when walking. It's nearly monday and my feet are a mess, I just want to go hiking again though.

So initially my reaction was to get the boots, then I went for some dual layered socks, now I've just bought some 'toe socks' that are like foot gloves and am wondering if Trail blazers would be better than hiking boots?

It occurred to me that if I had just got some advice first from those with experience then I probably could have avoided a lot of this discomfort. Still better late than never so, is there any advice you can share with me that might be useful suggestions? It doesn't just have to be feet either, any experiences you have.

I would also love to hear about what sort of things you all get up to, maybe some photos of you on your hikes/places you have been.

Replies

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Getting the right boots is key. I can't tell you which boots are right for you, you need to find a good store with someone that can help you fit the right boot. For your current boots, you could try new insoles or socks, but I'd say that your boots simply don't fit you well. See if you can get a refund from the store, though it's unlikely since theyre worn.

You can also wrap your toes with bandaids or mole skin.

With the right boot, you won't have these foot problems. A good pair of hiking boots is essential for hiking imo, but they must fit right.

DON'T keep hiking with your feet in their condition. seriously it will only exacerbate them. Try short walks for a while until your feet heal.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Buy a pair of boots slightly larger, you'll have more room in the toe box area. I hike a lot but have yet to buy a pair of hiking boots. I hike in trail runners with a good tread on the sole. I also use wool socks.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    Thanks earthout :)

Yeah there is no way it would get refunded but that isn't a problem. Do you have much experience with the difference between hiking boots and trail runners? I've just found that hiking boots seem so heavy and stiff for such long walks and I can't really see the point or need for such a high ankle. What am I missing here?

I do do walks throughout the week, I just.... I need to get out there, I get so restless. I can't imagine waiting a month or more for them to heal :/ I guess I'm just hoping that as you say the damage is caused by improper equipment so if I find the right match then it won't exacerbate the problem?

How about you though mate, what are your personal experiences with hiking? Do you still hike now?
  • Jonny15121983
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Buy a pair of boots slightly larger, you'll have more room in the toe box area. I hike a lot but have yet to buy a pair of hiking boots. I hike in trail runners with a good tread on the sole. I also use wool socks.

Interestingly my boots do have a bit of room in the front, I think it was improper lacing technique that resulted in the toes banging over and over again into the front rather than being held back. That's great to hear that you see no need for boots, sounds like it is worth trying out a pair of these trail runners.
  • queenliz99

Interestingly my boots do have a bit of room in the front, I think it was improper lacing technique that resulted in the toes banging over and over again into the front rather than being held back. That's great to hear that you see no need for boots, sounds like it is worth trying out a pair of these trail runners.

I agree with you and the weight of boots, I don't like it. Also, I have never twisted an ankle while hiking, my ankles are very strong. If the trail gets difficult and rocky I focus my eyes downward.

I have, however, lost toenails but that is part of the fun. LOL
  • earthnut
    I have hiked in lightweight shoes, but for long hikes, hikes where I'm carrying any significant weight (backpacking), or rough terrain, I need the stability of a hiking boot. Also a taller waterproof boot is nice when crossing streams. You can just stomp through the middle and your feet stay dry. :)

Walking in boots does feel different than walking in shoes. Your gait changes slightly as your body adjusts to the stiffness.

Even my regular sneakers have more support than most. My feet hurt if I try to wear thin shoes for long.

• Jonny15121983

I agree with you and the weight of boots, I don't like it. Also, I have never twisted an ankle while hiking, my ankles are very strong. If the trail gets difficult and rocky I focus my eyes downward.

I have, however, lost toenails but that is part of the fun. LOL

Is that pretty much the point of the boots? To stop ankle twisting? Yeah totally ready to ditch the boots if that is all it is lol

Haha yeah I couldn't care less about them falling off, I just wish they would hurry up and fall off, they obviously want to, we all know they are going to, so chop chop toes nails.
  • queenliz99
    edited August 2015
    Toenails falling is a long process, yep. I trim my nails short before a long hike.
  • earthnut
    BTW, I have never lost a toenail. yuk. :P
  • Jonny15121983
    earthnut wrote: »
    I have hiked in lightweight shoes, but for long hikes, hikes where I'm carrying any significant weight (backpacking), or rough terrain, I need the stability of a hiking boot. Also a taller waterproof boot is nice when crossing streams. You can just stomp through the middle and your feet stay dry. :)

Walking in boots does feel different than walking in shoes. Your gait changes slightly as your body adjusts to the stiffness.

Even my regular sneakers have more support than most. My feet hurt if I try to wear thin shoes for long.

My hikes are always one shot continuous without stopping hikes so I manage to keep my pack fairly light with just water, a snack, med kits, headlamp/torch for nighttime hiking and a jumper. The terrain is somewhat rough but I just feel so out of contact with it in my boots, I average about 3mph through the hike which is probably a pretty reasonable speed considering the terrain. No water issues to be concerned of here either.

How far would you usually hike in one go? For how long? At what speed? I'm curious as to what most people do and aim for/enjoy in their hikes,
  • Jonny15121983
    Toenails falling is a long process, yep. I trim my nails short before a long hike.

Yeah that was one of those 'wish I knew' bits of advice I didn't learn about until after I caused the issue lol How long am I looking at here? Any way to speed the process?
    BTW, I have never lost a toenail. yuk. :P

Me neither, yet lol But 4 or these bad boys look like they will break my cherry xD
  • earthnut
    edited August 2015

My hikes are always one shot continuous without stopping hikes so I manage to keep my pack fairly light with just water, a snack, med kits, headlamp/torch for nighttime hiking and a jumper. The terrain is somewhat rough but I just feel so out of contact with it in my boots, I average about 3mph through the hike which is probably a pretty reasonable speed considering the terrain. No water issues to be concerned of here either.

How far would you usually hike in one go? For how long? At what speed? I'm curious as to what most people do and aim for/enjoy in their hikes,
    I've never been a "speed hiker" type. I don't like stopping a lot but my hikes are more about keeping a steady pace for long periods of time rather than attaining a certain speed. I havent been hiking as much as I'd like since having a kid, but before then my favorite hikes were multi-day backbacks. I had a full pack, about 40-50 pounds, and averaging 15-20 miles a day.

You should carry the "10 essentials" in case you get lost/injured/stuck. I'd add a knife, firestarter, and a space blanket to your supplies at least.
  • queenliz99
    Months. You can't speed it up. As the nail grows out it eventually falls off then the new nail comes in, so months.

Last month I hiked the Angel's Landing in Zion National Park in Utah, USA which was series of switchbacks almost 6 miles long roundtrip. This is a pic of my hubby taking a pic, LOL. If you ever visit the U.S. and like hiking I highly recommend Zion. In fact, I met a lovely couple from England at the top. But we have many amazing places to hike. I have done a bunch. Checkout this link

http://internetbrothers.org/2014/11/06/angels-landing-and-west-rim-trail-zion-national-park/
    1itwuljbxbvo.jpg

• emereey
    emereey Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2015
    Definitely +1 on getting new shoes and resting/healing until you go out again. I'm in the camp of thinking that real hiking boots aren't a "necessity". Use them if you like them for the ankle support, but there's nothing wrong with running shoes or the cross/hybrid hiking shoes.

I'm in Wyoming in the US - we have some gorgeous hiking opportunities if you're ever this way. Just did a round-trip hike of 18 miles over a 10,000 foot mountain pass. We ended up averaging about a 1.25 mi/hour mostly because of the intense pass. I used my running shoes for this hike (including over boulders/scrambling) and they worked wonderful for me. Use what works for you!

5krfawt6bbbb.jpg

• queenliz99
    @emereey Totally get that slow pace, I've been on trails that were slow moving. Your pic is amazing.
  • yardprincess
    yardprincess Posts: 42 Member
    I used to do a lot of hiking before I had children - now that they are older I tried to get back into it (and take them along) but it's more enjoyable with people who actually want to be there of their own free will.... anyway, I used to wear boots, but they were well worn in. I also used to wear two pairs of socks, one inside out and one regular.
    My hiking experiences were in the Gros Ventre mountain range in Wyoming (USA) and I went a time or two up in the Sawtooth mountain range in Idaho, USA. Both very beautiful and challenging!
    Definitely a good knife is essential, and sure way to make a fire (such as a flint- rock or a case to keep matches dry).
    PS if you like to read about experiences ie survival in the wild, I would suggest the book "Hatchet" by G. Paulson - sort of a kids book, but an easy read you could finish in a day. :)
    Best of luck to you as gain health and fitness though hiking!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    I've done a ton of hiking, and I eventually got to the point where I almost never wore hiking boots on trail. A good fitting running shoe will work on most popular trails. If the trail is wet, a Gore-Tex running shoe, or an ultra-light-weight hiking shoe will work.

Rocky, or on snow or ice, or the footing is treacherous, or steep terrain, then you need a more substantial sole and ankle support. If I anticipate rough terrain higher up, I carry my boots in my backpack and wear running shoes down below. Makes for a heavy backpack, though.

Get your blisters mostly healed before you do another long hike. Keep your feet dry. Moisture wicking socks - wool in cold weather.

As for blister first-aid, I hesitate to say this, but I've always popped my blisters and cut off all the loose skin with sterilized scissors. Keep the sore super clean and exposed to the air as much as possible. Lots of antibiotic ointment. Stay off it. If I can do that, my blisters will heal enough in just a few days.

Moleskin on small blisters or hot spots always worked well for me on the trail. I always carry a sheet of moleskin in my first-aid kit.

If you're really serious about hiking and you're sure you're going to lose your toenail, go to a doctor and ask to have it removed. My brother finally did that after suffering with a loose nail for 3 months.
  • Jonny15121983

I've never been a "speed hiker" type. I don't like stopping a lot but my hikes are more about keeping a steady pace for long periods of time rather than attaining a certain speed. I havent been hiking as much as I'd like since having a kid, but before then my favorite hikes were multi-day backbacks. I had a full pack, about 40-50 pounds, and averaging 15-20 miles a day.

You should carry the "10 essentials" in case you get lost/injured/stuck. I'd add a knife, firestarter, and a space blanket to your supplies at least.

That sounds like a lot of fun, I've been thinking about going for some multi-day/ hiking holidays. I think there are definitely a few things I need to add like the ones you listed there. I occurred to me today that I really need something a simple as spare laces for my boots too!

• Jonny15121983
    Months. You can't speed it up. As the nail grows out it eventually falls off then the new nail comes in, so months.

Last month I hiked the Angel's Landing in Zion National Park in Utah, USA which was series of switchbacks almost 6 miles long roundtrip. This is a pic of my hubby taking a pic, LOL. If you ever visit the U.S. and like hiking I highly recommend Zion. In fact, I met a lovely couple from England at the top. But we have many amazing places to hike. I have done a bunch. Checkout this link

http://internetbrothers.org/2014/11/06/angels-landing-and-west-rim-trail-zion-national-park/
    1itwuljbxbvo.jpg

Wow that looks gorgeous, I lol'd at you taking a picture of your hubby taking a picture. You have some amazing scenery over there, much more dramatic than we have here in the Cotswolds though it is very beautiful here too :) Thanks for sharing :)
  • Jonny15121983
    emereey wrote: »
    Definitely +1 on getting new shoes and resting/healing until you go out again. I'm in the camp of thinking that real hiking boots aren't a "necessity". Use them if you like them for the ankle support, but there's nothing wrong with running shoes or the cross/hybrid hiking shoes.

I'm in Wyoming in the US - we have some gorgeous hiking opportunities if you're ever this way. Just did a round-trip hike of 18 miles over a 10,000 foot mountain pass. We ended up averaging about a 1.25 mi/hour mostly because of the intense pass. I used my running shoes for this hike (including over boulders/scrambling) and they worked wonderful for me. Use what works for you!

5krfawt6bbbb.jpg

So beautiful! What a rewarding place to hike! I wish there were more opportunities like that around here for me, I like the idea of a more challenging assent at a slower pace too.

I was looking at some trail runners today actually as the boots thing just isn't going to work for me. I've found one that has the BOA lacing system on it, I have them on my rollerblades and the BOA is insanely fast, easy and gives such a great fit :) Definitely going to swap on over!