How to incorporate more movement in my life??

Hey all,I would like to know the various ways to incorporate more movement in my day..!! And also what is considered as being lightly active? Thanks...

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What are you already doing? :) That would help us with talking about "more."
  • ri228
    ri228 Posts: 8 Member
    I exercise 5-6x per week for 30-40mins(30DS and Bodyweight Exercises) ,take the stairs often,stand for most hours of the day...Do I qualify as a moderately active individual???
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    ri228 wrote: »
    I exercise 5-6x per week for 30-40mins(30DS and Bodyweight Exercises) ,take the stairs often,stand for most hours of the day...Do I qualify as a moderately active individual???

Personally, I'd say no. Maybe lightly active ... but if it were me, I'd put myself at sedentary, and then just add the exercise I do.

• eshnna
    eshnna Posts: 109 Member
    Get a fitness tracker. For me it has been a great motivator to push myself to be more active.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    You don't have too - weight loose happens in teh kitchen!!;

Just kidding. It sounds like you are moving a lot already. What is your reason for wanting to move more? That might change people's answers.
  • ri228
    ri228 Posts: 8 Member
    The Reason-I want to eat more Food lol :D
    555_FILK wrote: »
    You don't have too - weight loose happens in teh kitchen!!;

Just kidding. It sounds like you are moving a lot already. What is your reason for wanting to move more? That might change people's answers.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    on your breaks, walk around
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Machka9 wrote: »

Personally, I'd say no. Maybe lightly active ... but if it were me, I'd put myself at sedentary, and then just add the exercise I do.

Ditto, but I have a desk job.

@ri228 - what do you do for work?

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    A fitness tracker really, really gave me targets that got me up off the couch and moving more, even when I was already moving a reasonable amount. It might not work the same way for you, but it might be worth considering.
  • CarolinaCricket
    CarolinaCricket Posts: 127 Member
    when I first started having a fitness tracker encouraged me to meet those daily goals and then one day it was just second nature. Mileage may vary.
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Cycling is great. It's low impact and it's cheap. You'll pick up a second hand bike for 50 eur/usd and can do just a couple of miles at a time if you don't want to splash out big bucks just yet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Walk to the store or park farther away. I think your day could use a little more cardiovascular activity. Like running up and down the stairs a few times until you are puffing. As a rough guide, twenty minutes of vigorous activity (some puffing, difficult to talk) is one cookie.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Do something useful with your free time -- make, fix or clean something. Start a long term project that adds some extra activity into your day. Plant a couple of vegetable plants, take care of them, harvest them, prepare and cook them in different ways.

The point is to just keep moving throughout the day. It doesn't have to feel like a workout or be purposeful exercise in order to increase your TDEE.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Park at the back of lot, take the stairs, clean your own house, mow your own grass. If the store is close enough, walk there.

Or just do exercise for the sake of doing it. Go for a walk. It's a better way to spend an hour than parked in front of the TV. :)

I have seen people actually stand in line, stopped and waiting, to take an escalator when the stairs are right there, next to it. I was like, "What is with these people?" and then I realized that a few years ago, I'd have done that. Now, even if the escalator was empty, I'd take the stairs.

You just develop new habits and ways of doing things. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I always park the farthest away when I go to the store. Anything that is less than a mile away from my house, I make myself walk instead of taking the car.
    What do you do for work?
    I ask because I feel like you should set your activity level to sedentary as well.
    My sons school is .5 miles away. I walk him to school every morning and I walk to pick him up every afternoon. I teach dance twice a week as work but I mostly stay at home cleaning and taking care of my toddler. I have my activity level set to only lightly active.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Get a dog. Ever since I got a dog, I added an additional 3 miles of walking to my days.

That's probably not a practical solution, though. I'll second the Fitbit or activity tracker.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Just as exercise foes not contribute a lot of calorie burn to weight loss, it's not going to enable you to eat a lot more either. Endurance runners are about the only people I've ever heard say they run so the can eat what they want to. Some of my Crossfit friends claim this as well, but their physique does not back
    It up.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Just as exercise foes not contribute a lot of calorie burn to weight loss, it's not going to enable you to eat a lot more either. Endurance runners are about the only people I've ever heard say they run so the can eat what they want to. Some of my Crossfit friends claim this as well, but their physique does not back
    It up.
    My BMR is around 2100. My maintenance is about 4000. I can't eat whatever I want, but exercise enables me to eat a lot more. That's why I do a big part of it.

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    My Fitbit has really helped me to move more. If I am low on steps or stairs I will walk up and down the stairs a few times . I will also march in place during commercials if I am watching TV.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Hey all, I would like to know the various ways to incorporate more movement in my day..!!

You can be less efficient. For example, I need to go down to the garden for a number of things and normally would do all of them at once, but to get in some extra up & down the stairs, I'm just doing this as I need to.

I work from home and plan to not go to the mail and take out the trash in the same trip but to do them separately so I get out of my chair and interact with gravity more frequently.