Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Kelley- The pictures look great and it sounds like a great vacation.

Lori- It has been a quiet weekend, I think everyone is out enjoying the weekend. We had two beautiful days this weekend. Today, I went on a 26 mile bike ride, it was wonderful and slightly challenging. One of the people I was riding with had a tire blow out, the outside tire blew not the inner tube. Scary but we are thankful that he was not riding, he had stopped to checkout the noise he heard. The outer tire was shredded.

Cbaker- Welcome to the group. You will feel better as the weight comes off and you start changing your eating habits. Take this journey one step at a time.

I am looking at a new bike. I have outgrown my hybrid which I love but I want something lighter and made for endurance rides. I am looking at the Trek Domane with Full Altegra parts. This is the next step up from the 105 components. The bike is on sale right now, so I may go for it. This bike will be better for longer rides like a century or a triathlon. I will post a picture later, when I can get to my photo gallery.

I am Laurie, 45 years old and I live in Maryland. I started this journey about 5 years ago when I weighed about 268 lbs. I started by walking around the track everyday and built from their. Then about 6-7 months in, I started working with a personal trainer, who got me started on changing my eating habits and pushed me to work harder. With his support I lost about 68 lbs to get under 200lbs. For the past year and a half, I have worked with a different trainer who is teaching me to run and encouraging me to set goals. Under her guidance I have successfully started swimming with Masters, completed several 5K, a sprint triathlon and I enjoy riding my bike. Today I weigh around 195 and my goal is to be under 190. However, my endurance and overall fitness level has increased and I enjoy exercising. Exercising is my main stress reliever and I do a variety of things so I don't get bored.

Monday school starts for the kids so life will once again pick up. Hope everyone has a great week.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Happy Monday Friends! I hope the weekend was good. Mine was OK for the most part. Cyrus played in his first official football game and actually got to go out for the coin toss. Poor kid was pulled from offense to defense and wasn’t sure what he was doing. Coaches definitely know he needs more practice, but I know they see his potential. We didn’t get home Saturday night until 11:30 p.m. Long night of football. Here's Cyrus and a buddy. He's #54 of course. Sunday was a big storm and I didn’t want to leave the house so missed church. Not good, but I used my time wisely and did meal prep. The rest of the day was pushing Cyrus to get a project done that was due today. Last minute once again – grrrr!!!

u0rbfc0h20qy.jpg

I was a little bummed because I went all week without seeing my friend Greg. Between my work and Cyrus’ schedule, we just can’t squeeze in time for each other. Dating is so hard, but we both want to keep trying and will just keep talking and texting during the week. Hopefully, we find some actual together time this week.

I was pleased with my weekend food intake. I did a workout Friday night and took off Saturday and Sunday. I made good food choices all weekend. No eating out at all, which I know helped too. I feel good about my food choices this coming week and already scheduled 4 work outs as well. So far so good.

@cblue315 (Lori) – Thanks for the quotes! I’ve been trying so hard to keep only positive people in my life. Love to read inspirational quotes. Quick little reminders. I can totally relate to the work/life balance. Awesome news on the DS finding a ride. I know a 2 a.m pick-up would not have been any fun. Hang in there!

@Laurie – Don’t you hate car stuff??!! But, the good thing it was an easy fix and like you said you’re all ready for the awful word winter. Yuck! A new bike? How exciting!! I can’t wait to see what you decide on. Have a great week and hope the school year is a good one for you.

@Kah68 (Kelley) – Loved seeing your pictures on FB. The orca is amazing! Can’t wait to hear all about it. I try to keep track so I’m not in total sticker shock when I get that last on board invoice, but I definitely missed a few cocktails along the way too. LOL!!! Congrats on no gain – Woo Hoo!!

@Cbaker5156 – Welcome! This thread is awesome and the only one I follow. It’s been super quiet lately, but when everyone chimes in you’ll have pages to read and it can get a bit overwhelming. Check in daily if you can. These folks will support you and give some great advice!!!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Good Morning, I've decided that it is time to get a handle on what I am eating again. Nicole started as a Beachbody coach, and is very excited about the program. She reached her goal weight without the program, but feels that being involved with it and other people will help her to maintain. I have decided to do the diet with the 21 day fix. I'm not doing the shakes, but using the little containers to measure food servings, and following the exchanges. I'm trying to find some workouts to add to my walking. I have 20# to lose to reach my 100# goal. I figure I can do this for that long, and then find a more successful maintenance method than I've had.
    Stress is off the charts! In addition to DH's problems, my sister is very ill. She had gall bladder surgery almost 2 weeks ago. She was okay for almost a week, then started having severe pain. To make a long story short, she has been in the hospital for nearly a week. They found that the bile duct was also full of gall stones. They put in a stent. Now she is bleeding from her liver, has had 5 units of blood so far. She is in severe pain. Because she has 3 blood clotting disorders, stopping the blood thinners has been very scary. Once she starts clotting, it doesn't know when to stop. Another sister is falling apart because sister has been her anchor through some pretty major problems in her life. She called me yesterday crying, and I'm afraid I wasn't much help. Add to that the baby sitting again, and I am pretty uptight. It is very important for me to hold myself to this new food program or I will end up gaining way too much weight.
    Sorry no personals although I am following all of you very closely and really appreciate your prayers and good wishes for DH and me. Time for the kids to come.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    @Grandma Kaye…I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s health. And now your sister??? Know that prayers are being sent for you, him, doctors and your entire family. I’m glad you have a neighbor to lean on for those crunch times.

@Tom…Hot and Spicy Food Day is NOT for me. I love chicken wings, but I like the mild flavoring (and then I use quite a bit of ranch dressing to cool it off – HA). I can get behind Lemonade day…yum!

@Susan…I’m so glad that things are going well for you now that you are back to MFP…I’m still struggling to make this a daily effort again.

@Moira…3 lb fluctuation is pretty normal for me. If I eat too much salt or lower my water intake, or Aunt Flo, or, or. Hang in there and it’ll come off!

@Laurie…glad your battery is replaced – in my opinion, it’s better to happen now than when it is below freezing and you’re late for work. You are doing so good – yay for a new summer low!!

@Kelley…can’t wait to hear more about your trip. We saw orcas for a split second on our trip but from the top deck and not that close. It’s amazing how those drinks can add up isn’t it?!

AFM…this dang cold is getting old. I take cough medicine and it wears off in the middle of the night so I’m up coughing. I’d sure like to get a full night’s rest. I did buy some new OTC medicine yesterday so hopefully. I went to the doctor because the phlegm was yellow and I was worried it was a sinus infection that won't go away on its own. He acted like it was stupid of me to be there and told me that colds actually take on average 2 weeks before they clear up. He was the first doctor I didn’t like since coming here to Bismarck. I’m fine with the diagnosis but he didn’t have very good bedside manners.

Back to school shopping is finally done! Nothing like waiting to the last minute and then having to go to 2 different stores because they were sold out of what we needed. But truly, it was a good shopping – less than $40 for all supplies and then with shoes and clothes included, I have both kids ready to go for less than $150. I’m more of the buy clothes throughout the year so I’m not stuck with a huge bill come this time of year. There are enough expenses (football fees, activity fees, filling lunch accounts, uniform bills) to not have to add a ton of clothes. Emma did outgrow all of her long pants and her tennis shoes so we have some requirements, but not too bad.

Jacob had his football jamboree on Saturday. The other schools all wore their uniforms. For some reason, our coaches had them wear their practice jerseys. That means I had no idea when Jacob was on the field. He told me when it was all done that he was out there several times and that he even had a couple of tackles.

They start school on Thursday and I can’t wait. It’s not even that they are bugging me that much, but I’m just ready for the regular schedule that accompanies it. Still busy with football and music lessons and church activities but at least they fall into a rhythm.

My husband made ribs overnight for his meal and he told me they were ready for me this morning and that he felt they were some of his best yet (we had a rub that we both loved and now can’t find in any stores and he can’t remember the actual name for on-line purchasing). It was too spicy for me…two ribs and I was done. But it gave me a good start on my protein.

Have a great day!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 877 Member
    Happy Monday. Just checking in. I often read but do not often post here. I'm up north in my cottage but there isn't any running water. We had a rain storm last night. Something must have happened. The weather is definitely changing and fall is in the air. The leaves have already started changing colour here, as the nights are cold. Last night I had trouble sleeping and got up and ate. Haven't done that in a long time so I'm really regretting it.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited August 2015
    Good morning everyone.

Happy International Day Against Intolerance, Discrimination and Violence Based on Musical Preferences, Lifestyle and Dress Code
    Back in 2007, Sophie Lancaster and her boyfriend were attacked and beaten in Rossendale, Lancashire. Sophie subsequently died from her injuries at the age of 20. The motive for the attack? Sophie and her boyfriend were goths.
    I remember the news of this attack breaking, and being shocked at the senselessness of it all. That senselessness has lead to August 24, the anniversary of Sophie’s death, being commemorated as the International Day Against Intolerance, Discrimination and Violence Based on Musical Preferences, Lifestyle and Dress Code. It’s a bit of a mouthful, but in a world where the Sophie Lancaster Foundation is necessary, the day is worth remembering.
    While labels can sometimes be used positively – consolidating a community, perhaps, or drawing together those with an affinity to each other – they’re also a curse. Too much of our worth can come from labels, superficial tags that can’t possibly represent the whole person, and at some point that can become dangerous. The teenagers who attacked Sophie and her boyfriend were living under a label, culture and mindset that saw ‘moshers’ as The Other, aliens to be attacked rather than fellow humans with different preferences in fashion. And while it’s horrifying that musical taste should become a life-and-death issue, it’s sadly unsurprising when we’ve been spending years killing each other over race, religion, gender, sexuality… Too often we base our labels around what we’re against rather than what we’re for, and when we do, bad things inevitably happen.
    (Of course, this affects public policy too. In the wake of the UK riots a couple of weeks ago, politicians were quick to blame things on criminality, dismissing such issues as poverty and a breakdown in authority. Maybe there’s some truth in that, but it’s still a them-and-us mentality.)
    So maybe there’s an opportunity today; to listen to a genre of music we’ve never bothered with before, to chat with someone outside our clique, to rise above our labels and comfort zones. Because no-one should die because of what’s on their iPod.

A pessimist is one who makes difficulties of his opportunities and an optimist is one who makes opportunities of his difficulties. ~Harry Truman

11857432.png

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Monday Check-in ... oh-oh up again and I know it's the sodium in recent foods and not taking a diuretic ... however it is discouraging that I'm not dropping enough to overcome that ... after all, 3-4 pounds of water weight is a norm for me.

13541709.png

On a positive note ... I accomplished 2 of my 3 goals that I set on Friday. Guess which one didn't get done ....
    Right, the one that involved physical activity.

The food that I cooked however was truly wonderful.

Fish and vegetables in parchment packets turned out to be zucchini, lemon, Alaskan cod ... so very very good. Even my cat Strawberry kept sniffing at me and I broke of bits for her that measured about 1/2 teaspoon. She licked her lips.

Garlicky Chicken thighs with white beans and tomatoes ... I tried a new way to make this dish as I didn't want to run the oven so I rolled my thighs in the seasonings I use and browned them very well on the skin side in a large skillet. Then I added the white beans, grape tomatoes, garlic, and covered the pan to let them finish cooking. It made enough for another couple of meals and again, Strawberry was sniffing and licking her chops, but didn't want to eat any chicken pieces because she doesn't like garlic.

Soup this week was turned out great. Beef vegetable ... it made 10 servings of 1-1/2 cups each for only 168 calories per serving (MFP recipe builder). I was tempted to turn it into beef-barley soup but decided that I really wanted it to be just vegeetables. Natch ... there are quart jars of it in the refrigerator. And I'll be tired of it before it is all gone ... think I'll take a jar of it over to a friend to help it go quicker.

For this week ... my goals are:
    . Clean that utility room
    .. Scrub that kitchen
    ... Organize the bedroom and closets
    .... Gather ALL the recycle items for this week's trash pickup
    ..... Start cutting back and clearing the 'wild' areas of my landscaping

...... Continue monitoring computer time ... keep it to under 4 hours a day!!!!

....... Recipes to cook this week will include using up all the leftover vegetables and some of the protein that's been hanging around my freezer before I shop for more food in mid-week. ... Shrimp stir fry; tuna pasta, eggplant parm.

I saw a novel method to make French Onion Soup ... which I love, love, love ... so I plan to make that for my next soup cook-out.

@Everyone-here ... it was great catching up on my reading of all your posts. The school year is starting for amny of you already and that always brings a change in daily patterns ... for the long haul! fall is definitely in the air, but we still have a few weeks of summer weather to look forward to. School starts in early September in the parts of the country I've lived and I recall it always being extremely warm right after it started after an August cool down.

Follow-through
    Niki
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    Monday check in... I hit the hundred pounds lost mark last Thursday but when I stepped on the scale today I was up 6 pounds. Oh well, my co-workers will have to wait for their donuts.

I had a NSV over the weekend. We went to Kohl's department store looking for neon green socks for my soon to be 3 year old nephew. I glanced at a nice looking shirt on a sale rack and realized that it might fit my new dimensions. Lo and behold I found 12 shirts on clearance. First victory, I love a good sale, especially for something I need (most everything I have hangs like feed sacks now). Second victory, this is the first time since the late 90s that I could buy clothing, that fits, in a regular retail store. A certain big and tall retailer will probably miss me as that was about the only place I could buy clothing. Oh yeah, victory number 3 , I found neon green socks for my nephew.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Hello everyone. New to the thread good to know there is support for someone needing to lose half their body weight. I am doing well diet wise however my herniated disc is acting up so no activity for now. Not that I was doing marathons before, I had just gotten to point I could walk 30-60minutes at a time without major consequences.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Bigaug wrote: »
    Monday check in... I hit the hundred pounds lost mark last Thursday but when I stepped on the scale today I was up 6 pounds. Oh well, my co-workers will have to wait for their donuts.

I had a NSV over the weekend. We went to Kohl's department store looking for neon green socks for my soon to be 3 year old nephew. I glanced at a nice looking shirt on a sale rack and realized that it might fit my new dimensions. Lo and behold I found 12 shirts on clearance. First victory, I love a good sale, especially for something I need (most everything I have hangs like feed sacks now). Second victory, this is the first time since the late 90s that I could buy clothing, that fits, in a regular retail store. A certain big and tall retailer will probably miss me as that was about the only place I could buy clothing. Oh yeah, victory number 3 , I found neon green socks for my nephew.

I love NSV like those, you're killing it right now!

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Well the school year has started and I see my kids tomorrow. Hopefully it will go well.

It was a trying day with little sleep last night.

I am heading to bed at this point since I am mentally and physically drained. I will fill you in tomorrow.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Hi guys! Just a quick pop in to let you know I haven't disappeared. Busy weekend and students starting classes today has kept me from posting. I will try to catch up with a longer post tomorrow evening.
  • susan2396
    Happy Tuesday!! Yesterday was good just long. Up at 5:30, work by 7, worked through lunch, home at 5:30, made sure Cyrus had dinner and football stuff was ready, out the door at 6:30, dropped Cyrus off, exercise class from 7-8, back to football for another hour, home around 9:30, quick bite to eat of Bison & Zucchinni Primavera (so good), shower after 10, texted with Greg for a few minutes, read a little to calm myself then bed around 11:30. Back at it again today. Same schedule. Food choices were very good and over 130 oz of water. I can do this!!

@Grandmakaye – I’ve got a few friends who swear by Beachbody and got great results with the 21-day fix. I can relate to the stress factor, but just my work/life balance. I’m so sorry to read about your sisters. Prayers to your husband, sister for healing and your other sister for strength. Also, you have to take care of yourself. We all know how quickly the weight gain and spiral downward can happen. I know you’re stronger than that. Keep pushing forward my friend.

@Tlh0407 – Girl, it’s a battle every single day. I just love food and food that’s NOT good for me. I just keep trying to focus on my body deserves healthy stuff. Clean stuff in and that’s it. I’ve got to stay positive and know that I’m in this for life!! I think us parents are more excited for school to start than the kids. I was ready to get back in a routine that’s for sure. Cyrus just started his 3rd week. Crazy!

@NK1112 – I did meal prep on Sunday and it makes a huge difference. When I really put some effort into it, I really do enjoy my healthy eating. It makes such a big difference. The garlicky chicken thighs sound delish!! Let me know how the French Onion Soup turns out – a favorite of mine, but I always stay away due to the sodium, cheese and bread. LOL!!

@Bigaug – Woo Hoo!!!! Great NSV, which I know many of us can relate. I cannot wait until the day I no longer have to shop in Plus size. Lane Bryant will no longer be a friend. LOL!! It’s going to be awhile, but it WILL happen. Those 6#’s will be off before you know it. Keep working hard!!!

@Chasity6 – Welcome! This is an awesome thread and the only one I follow on MFP. These folks are great and will support you. Try to check in daily if you can. Advice is here!!

@Laurie – Hugs my friend!! You’ve got so much on your plate with school starting, your dad’s health, fundraisers, etc. . . Make sure to find time for Laurie too. You deserve some R&R!!!!

@Skinny (Karen) – Have a great first day!!!!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    @Bigaug now that's my kind of NSV!
  • Morgori
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Whiskey Sour Day – August 25th
    August 25 is National Whiskey Sour Day. Celebrate this classic
    tart cocktail by making the standard bourbon Whiskey Sour
    cocktail recipe or one of our other Whiskey Sour variations.
    Cheers!

National Whiskey Sour Day

The happiest people don’t worry too much about whether life is fair or not, they just get on with it. ~Andrew Matthews

11857432.png

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    @Tom great quote.
    @Susan Thanks for being my cheerleader. I really need one. I think the Beachbody will work. It's just a different way of keeping the calories down, but it seems simpler for now.

Good luck to the teachers on the new year. My day goes better when Keith is in school. Anya and I are going for a walk soon.

Onward and downward. Kaye
  • jrsc28
    jrsc28 Posts: 9 Member
    Hello Folks! I'm new to the thread, starting over (again), and I hoping I may be more successful if I have some support this time around. I have 150 lbs to lose to be in the normal weight range for my height - something I've never been in my entire life. I've tried dieting on and off for as long as I can remember... nothing has ever lasted longer than a few weeks or a couple of months. It feels different this time though. I've been working hard to incorporate my favorite meals and treats in moderation instead of banning the things I love. The weight is coming off a bit slower than it has previously but it feels sustainable. Hoping to make some friends here and gain some support and encouragement to keep going! Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • Morgori
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Make Your Own Luck Day
    About the Holiday
    Thomas Jefferson once said, "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it." On Make Your Own Luck Day do just that by being open to new experiences and opportunities. Don't be stuck in a routine. Set a goal and work hard for it. Don't accept defeat and take risks. Richard Wiseman, head of a psychology research department at the University of Hertfordshire in England, says he's cracked the code "Luck isn't due to kismet, karma, or coincidence, he says. Instead, lucky folks — without even knowing it — think and behave in ways that create good fortune in their lives".
    More quotes about luck:
    “Luck is believing you’re lucky.” – Tennessee Williams,
    "Diligence is the mother of good luck." Benjamin Franklin
    “Luck is not chance-It’s Toil-Fortune’s expensive smile Is earned-” — Emily Dickinson
    “Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca

11857432.png

Tom
  • NicMom2
    NicMom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there! I just joined today and I'm excited to start this journey. Ready for more energy and life long health. I'm aiming for a lose of 58 pounds. I've never done an app like this and am hoping it's user friendly. :smile:
  • susan2396
    Happy Hump Day!! Another good day yesterday. Food choices were on target. Class was tabata last night, which kicked my butt!! Sweated profusely. Today has been good so far. I'll just keep taking this one day at a time.

@grandmakaye44 - You've been there for me so you know I'm going to cheer you on. Baby steps - right??!!

@Morgori - Always great to see your tidbits of trivia every day. Thanks for sharing! Hope you and the Mrs. are doing well.

@jrsc28 & @NicMom2 -Welcome! This is a great thread and the only one I follow. Everyone is super supportive. Check in daily if you can. To be honest, it's super quiet right now because we have a lot of teachers who start classes this week so they've been busy prepping. They will definitely support you and give advice. We're here to share our weight loss journey, but also life too. There will be days where the tread is pages long and hard to keep up, but lately its been pretty quiet. Come back often!