This Ain't working, help

2»

Replies

• robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    Hi RunRunTheeRun. Being Indian by origin, family diet for dinner is mostly curry / stirfy / Lentils with rice / roti followed by fruits / something sweet. If I have to change my diet forever, I guess I have to ask my family to do it as well ... I'll try asking tonight.... LOL

You don't have to change your diet completely, just learn better portion control. As Rabbit says, if you go back to eating what you've always eaten then you'll end back right where you are now. It's unrealistic for your whole family to change what they eat so instead, accurately calculate the calories of the ingredients, weigh out your portions of food and log them correctly. You can lose weight, and maintain it, by eating whatever you like. Just make sure you eat less of it, or rather, the correct amount for your weight or weight loss goals.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2015
    I eat Indian food at least once or twice a week - it is totally possible to adapt what you're already eating into a healthier version. First, take out any ghee, and replace it with a low cal spray or at least a very small amount of oil. Be careful about the amount of rice you have - load up on tomato/veg based curries, and keep the side dishes to a minimum. As I'm sure you already know, naans are highly calorific, rotis and other flat breads (chapattis etc) are much better (as long as they're plain, and made with no additional fats). Finally, those Indian sweets - special occasions only, I'm afraid!

You've not got your diary open - if you're happy to do that, people will give you pointers as to where you may be going wrong. It can be as simple an error as using the wrong entries to log your cals. You can overeat by quite a bit if you use some of those 'homemade' entries, and even commercial product entries can be wrong. In my first week logging, I had no idea some of those entries would be so wildly wrong - I basically lost because I cut out a lot of the very high fat food I was used to eating, not because I was logging accurately! Now though, every calorie counts, and I make damn sure I'm logging to the most accurate gram weight measurements!

Saying you will go back to your usual food is a popular conclusion to someone's 'diet' that I see all the time, and is absolutely the way you'll regain any and all weight you lose with your restrictive diet currently. Yes, you DO have to change the way you eat forever - but sometimes you don't need that big a change! Portion sizes adjusted, recipes slightly adapted for healthier meals, reducing the frequency of very high cal/fat foods, and you can eat pretty much the same as you've always eaten, as long as you log correctly!

BTW, get yourself a big vacuum flask and fill it with a homemade soup - heated to as hot as you dare in the morning. That will be a filling, nutritional lunch, on the go, that doesn't involve resorting to those awful weight loss shakes! You can also make a huge batch once a week, and that will do you for the week. Take crackers, bread or pre-packaged snacks to have with it, if soup alone doesn't fill you with joy!! Even a jar of PB or vegemite (Marmite) doesn't need refrigeration, and you can have that with an apple - again, no chiller needed. Best of all, get some freezer packs and a lunch box. A big frozen pack will keep stuff like cheese or salad to a cool enough temperature for a few hours.
  • tinyc82
    tinyc82 Posts: 21 Member
    And beef jerky's a pretty good snack for during the day. You just have to watch out for the sodium content of some brands. But it's fairly low calorie and it's portable, no special treatment needed.

• crazycbrrider
    crazycbrrider Posts: 8 Member
    Hi guys

I was just kidding when I said I'll ask the family. Lighten up :smiley: yes I have changed my diet and no I don't expect my family to change for me. Its me that needs to change. BTW how go I make my diary public, so you guys can abuse the crap out of my eating habits ... :smiley::smiley::smiley::wink:
  • crazycbrrider
    Omg, my diary is public ... Here it comes.... Lol :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Lol loving the optimism ...
    I'm not going to knock it, if you eat within your cals you'll lose

..the only tiny comment I have was on yesterday's breakfast. ..huge amount of margarine! Maybe it's a mispost :-D but each to their own and whatever floats your boat lol
  • crazycbrrider
    Lol loving the optimism ...
    I'm not going to knock it, if you eat within your cals you'll lose

..the only tiny comment I have was on yesterday's breakfast. ..huge amount of margarine! Maybe it's a mispost :-D but each to their own and whatever floats your boat lol
    :D optislim, lazy man's diet... :D
    I could have been reading the margerine wrong. I'll check it again. Thanks mate