Most likely reason I've gained this week?

I admit the last week hasn't been great. Only exercised 3 days out of the week and ate badly for 2 days (thursday and friday) because I went out with people for food.

I was 127.5lbs last Tuesday, weighed myself today and I've gone up to 129.8lbs. I know weight loss isn't linear etc but it's disheartening to see a gain when I've been consistently losing over 1lb a week for the last 11 weeks.

What's the most likely reason? Could I have gained that much in a week?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Likely reason: Water retention

Possible causes:
    Hormones
    Increased salt intake
    Exercise
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    water
    more waste in your system than last time

weight fluctuates constantly...
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Did you track whatever you ate and if so, was that more than 7000 calories over maintenance? That's the only way you would've gained that much in a week. If not, you could be holding onto water from excess sodium etc.

Just log it accurately, keep doing what you're doing, and move on.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Yeah, water weight can go up or down by as much as 5-10 lbs on a daily basis. Just look for a downward trend over the course of weeks, and don't get discouraged!
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Water weight. I notice it the next day after I go out to eat.Way too much sodium in those dishes.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    You know it's not linear, but you're discouraged when it turns out not to be linear?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    You know it's not linear, but you're discouraged when it turns out not to be linear?

yeah, I'll never get that one either...

post-11357-I-don-t-get-it-At-all-5dWP_zps245b6a0f.gif
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    airbent wrote: »
    Did you track whatever you ate and if so, was that more than 7000 calories over maintenance? That's the only way you would've gained that much in a week. If not, you could be holding onto water from excess sodium etc.

I definitely didn't eat over 7000. I knew I was going out to eat those days so I didn't eat much during the day.

Do Doritos have a lot of sodium? I ate some yesterday and did feel bloated after them.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member

I didn't mean I was discouraged, I'm still going to keep at it and carry on. I know it's not linear but it still doesn't stop it from sucking when you suddenly see the scale number go up that much.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    If you weigh daily and chart it you will see all sorts of these silly things and SOMETIMES you will know what caused them. Just have to keep going and watch the trend.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2015
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    airbent wrote: »

I definitely didn't eat over 7000. I knew I was going out to eat those days so I didn't eat much during the day.

Do Doritos have a lot of sodium? I ate some yesterday and did feel bloated after them.

dude doritos have TONS of sodium. Honestly almost any time you eat out or eat salty snacks like that, expect some bloat. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever eat them if it fits your calories but just keep it in mind whenever you have a salt spike. It usually shows and usually takes a few days to flush out. make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

But if you aren't overeating enough to gain fat or muscle (you can only be confident of this if you are logging as accurately and honestly as you possibly can), then trust in what you're doing and give it a few weeks. If you're in a deficit the scale will right itself.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    I've lost over 60lbs since February. My exercise and diet have been consistent and there have been weeks when I gained a few pounds and weeks when I've lost several pounds. I weigh myself daily, but, I understand that's only one piece of data and an increase in weight does not mean your body fat percentage is going up.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    There is a thread in the Motivation and Support forum titled WHY SCALES LIE. It does a great job of explaining scales fluctuations. It should be required reading here on MFP!! Check it out or do a search for it if it's dropped off the first couple pages.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    ajc1309 wrote: »

I didn't mean I was discouraged, I'm still going to keep at it and carry on. I know it's not linear but it still doesn't stop it from sucking when you suddenly see the scale number go up that much.
    At some level, yeah, it sucks. But it's ultimately meaningless. I gain 6-7 pounds for 2-3 days when I go eat Tex-Mex. I know it's not fat. Mostly it annoys me because it messes up my charts. Not enough to pass on Tex-Mex, but still...