Contraceptive Implant Weight Gain

So I currently have the implant, had it for 2.5 years I have gained a staggering 4+ stone.. I was at my doctors this morning and she swears it hasn't been the implant even though I haven't changed any of my lifestyle.. I always eat clean and cook all my meals with the exception of the odd takeaway.. over the last year I have tried slimming world, fitness classes, walks, strength training everything.. I can't be put in the combo pill because I have a bmi of 42! My doctor has agreed to remove my implant next week. Has anyone else had a similar problem and will I lose weight again? Im so depressed!

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    You do not gain weight unless you're eating too much. That's just a fact of life.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    over the last year I have tried slimming world, fitness classes, walks, strength training everything..

Did you try calorie counting?
  • The_Fit_Fangirl
    The_Fit_Fangirl Posts: 2 Member
    over the last year I have tried slimming world, fitness classes, walks, strength training everything..

Did you try calorie counting?

Yes I've used this app frequently, this is my third time using it.
  • DemoraFairy
    I had a look through your diary, the days I found where you had logged stuff, about half of it was in measured in grams and half was measured in cups. Do you weigh your food? Are the parts in grams actually weighed or is that just what the default serving size in the database was? If you weren't weighing your food you could have been eating more than you think, especially considering there were large periods where you weren't logging.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    I think with contraceptives they just make you really hungry all the time.

They don't make you gain weight, or stop you losing, they can just make it that much harder for those affected with an increased appetite.

• icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Yes, as said above. Contraceptives don't make you gain weight, that's just a fact, but they can increase your appetite or tendency to overeat in various ways - if you aren't being entirely consistent in your logging it would be very easy for that to add up.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have the implant too. It made my skin break out something fierce. I did gain weight but that was related to my eating. I've also successfully lost weight while having it in. So...yeah.
  • One of the side effects to contraceptives is weight gain. They can alter your hormon levels in a way that can take what you eat everyday and change the way your body processes it. Something similar to aging. Talk to your doctor they may need to alter your contraceptive.
  • DemoraFairy
    One of the side effects to contraceptives is weight gain. They can alter your hormon levels in a way that can take what you eat everyday and change the way your body processes it. Something similar to aging. Talk to your doctor they may need to alter your contraceptive.

Got a source for that? According to my research, "there is no evidence to show that the implant causes weight gain". If it was known that the implant changes how the body processes food, and not simply the possibility that it makes some women feel hungrier, I feel like this would be classed as evidence.
  • Did you happen to Google the side effects of any birth control? If you do you will clearly see that weighr gain is one of them.
  • DemoraFairy
    Did you happen to Google the side effects of any birth control? If you do you will clearly see that weighr gain is one of them.

I did, the result I linked is what came up. The second result states: "all the medical research points to no. however its a hormone at the end of the day and all women react differently to them and may cause an increased appetite but thats all, it has no effect on the rate of metabolism."

Weight gain is usually caused by feeling hungrier and therefore eating more - not from the medications actually changing how the body works. I ask again for a source.
  • The most common side effects reported by users of NuvaRing are irritation inside your vagina or on your cervix; headache (including migraine); mood changes (including depression); the ring slipping out or causing discomfort; nausea and vomiting; vaginal discharge; weight gain; vaginal discomfort; breast pain, discomfort, or tenderness; painful menstrual periods; abdominal pain; acne; and less sexual desire.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Birth Control itself WILL NOT make you gain weight. It might make your hormones go nuts and make your hungrier so you eat more, sure. But that's a decision YOU make. You can also chose to eat less, ignore the hormones, and lose the weight. I've been on the Pill since I was 16 (20 years). In 2012 I lost 50lbs. While on the pill. I currently maintain the weight I lost, while on the Pill.
  • Depo-Provera can cause a number of side effects, including:
    Irregular menstrual periods, or no periods at all.
    Headaches.
    Nervousness.
    Depression.
    Dizziness.
    Acne.
    Changes in appetite.
    Weight gain.
  • DemoraFairy
    The most common side effects reported by users of NuvaRing are irritation inside your vagina or on your cervix; headache (including migraine); mood changes (including depression); the ring slipping out or causing discomfort; nausea and vomiting; vaginal discharge; weight gain; vaginal discomfort; breast pain, discomfort, or tenderness; painful menstrual periods; abdominal pain; acne; and less sexual desire.

I didn't ask for a source stating that weight gain was a side effect. I never said it wasn't. I asked for a source claiming that weight gain slowed your metabolism and changed the way your body processes food.
  • Both came from the actual company sites. While I understand the frustration I don't intend to argue. Hope you have a good one.
  • DemoraFairy
    edited August 2015
    Both came from the actual company sites. While I understand the frustration I don't intend to argue. Hope you have a good one.

From this I'm going to conclude you don't have a source for your claim that implants change how your body processes food and therefore made it up. Strong first post.
  • Again to the person who originally posted... Just ask your doctor. They will be able to give you the best advice.