When you don't want to cook......what do you have to eat?

Replies

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    A sandwich usually.
    If I have a tiny bit of energy, I put on some rice in the rice cooker :-P
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Maybe its technically cooking- but eggs are my "lazy" meal. To me it takes even less effort than gathering the ingredients for a sandwich.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Progresso soup with crackers.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Often a can of tuna or a tuna steak mashed up with something, usually hummus, sliced onion, and hot sauce. Sometimes with scrambled eggs.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    cereal or ice cream
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I often cook anyway because I have to feed my family regardless of wanting to cook. We only eat out 1 meal a week.

For low effort meals, I might have leftovers, yogurt, sandwich, frozen pizza, eggs, or pasta.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If we have leftovers, then we'll eat those.

If not, then usually a sandwich, greek yogurt with fruit and cereal, tuna or egg salad, or maybe a frozen pizza
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited August 2015
    Usually sandwiches. I have no issue eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches for dinner. Or we order pizza. We also usually have tortilla shells laying around, so we can open a can of beans and make bean & cheese burritos without much effort. Microwave dinners, egg sandwiches (I don't count frying an egg as cooking), leftovers.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Our "not cook" is fajitas. We have peppers and onions pre-cooked for omelets, so we grab that, some nukable chicken from the freezer, add cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Hubby eats his on a tortilla, I don't. Otherwise, I cook. We do a lot of meal prep on the weekends, so cooking dinner at night is pretty easy. We rarely spend more than 15 minutes cooking, including time to heat the grill. To me, tossing it in the oven and waiting isn't cooking. But again, that's prepped on the weekend. I throw it into a pan and into the oven. Ziploc freezer bags are my friend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    @ExRelaySprinter - what do you mean by not cooking? Not making hot food or not fussing a lot? Sandwiches are my no fuss, cold meal. I like eggs and veggies for a low fuss, hot meal.

Last night after hiking in the hot woods I wanted something salty, started to chow down on tortilla chips, restrained myself and added chicken, cheese, and salsa and put it in the toaster oven to melt the cheese.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Cobb salad or tomato soup with cheese on toast topped with Worcestershire sauce (haven't had that in ages though.)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've usually got portions of various stews, chillis, etc in the freezer for such occasions.

Ditto, and many other frozen foods that I've made. If I want something with just teeny effort: pita pizza, quesadilla with canned beans, zoodles with any kind of sauce, frozen stir fry vegetables with bottled stir fry sauce mixed with peanut flour, breakfast for dinner.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Leftovers or something fast like an omelet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well there's always leftovers in my fridge. Otherwise it's typically a wrap with ham and cheese and a bag of frozen veggies.

Most of what I make only takes 10 minutes to prepare anyway so cooking for me is never a huge deal.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @ExRelaySprinter - what do you mean by not cooking? Not making hot food or not fussing a lot? Sandwiches are my no fuss, cold meal. I like eggs and veggies for a low fuss, hot meal.

Basically, i meant not having to cook a "proper meal" from scratch.
    Microwaving something quickly or a quick frying of an Egg etc doesn't count as Cooking. ;)
    But some great ideas here Guys, keep them coming!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Basically, i meant not having to cook a "proper meal" from scratch.
    Microwaving something quickly or a quick frying of an Egg etc doesn't count as Cooking. ;)
    But some great ideas here Guys, keep them coming!

If simple and quick cooking is an option, then my go-to meal is to take pre-cut vegetables, toss in oil and spices, dump on a baking sheet and roast in the oven. In that same oven I put frozen thin fish topped with a generous amount of Mrs. Dash garlic and herb. Prep time is about 3 min.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Cobb salad or tomato soup with cheese on toast topped with Worcestershire sauce (haven't had that in ages though.)
    My ultimate comfort food - and ready in under 3 minutes!!! God, now I want cheese on toast! Ah well, I'm having my comfort food runner up tonight - risotto, but that is a lot of stirring and chopping, so definitely not a no-cook option!

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    I always have some kind of prepared meat like poached chicken and always some kind of cheese. At worst i shred chicken and make chicken salad, heat in salsa/pesto and water, or just toss it atop a prepared green salad. Or I make tuna, or eat hard boiled eggs if I have them. There are lots of things I can think to make with my fridge supply. It's usually more an issue of keeping the house well-stocked.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I usually have leftovers in the fridge or, if that doesn't sound good, I'll make a sandwich (tuna salad, turkey and cheese, pb&j) or a salad of some variety.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited August 2015
    I didn't feel like cooking last night, so I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a ready-made rotisserie chicken, a can of baked beans and a bag of pre-trimmed fresh green beans. All I had to do was heat up both beans, and I was good to go in about 5 minutes. Quick, easy and nutritious.