Calm me down

I went over for the first time in 38 days yesterday. By a whopping EIGHT calories. Something about seeing red makes me feel awful, but i thought eh..whatever. and this morning i gained a 1lb. Wtf wtf wtf. I rationally know i didn't really gain a whole lb. Still sucks.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    You can't reason someone out of a position she didn't reason herself into.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    You rationally know they're not cause and effect. Maybe you need to step away from the scale for a few days.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Think of it big picture: even if you went over your calories by 8 every single day for the whole year, you wouldn't even gain a full lb! Don't beat yourself up over such a small number :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    lol good post tex.

Op maybe be a bit more rational, its all estimates. Go out and walk for 5 minutes and that will burn more than8. Enter that exercise for yesterday or just keep a weekly total.

Why did you gain 1lb? Is it because you ate an extra 3500 calories over maintenance? is it because you body naturally fluctuaes 1-5lbs in a day becayse you havent been to the loo, youve eaten, youve reatined some water or its the time of the month. The more you undestand how it works the less you will get sidetracked by things that do not matter. Your choice. Chill out.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Go look at last Thursday in my diary. Then tell yourself that the guy who ate that didn't gain anything as a result... it'll be ok.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    You've probably been over and under more than that over the past 38 days. Even careful logging has a certain margin of error that cannot be avoided.

Weight loss is not linear. Your weight is affected by so many factors outside of calories. Stop obsessing about one off data points and focus on the long term trend.
  • accidentalpancake
    You can't reason someone out of a position she didn't reason herself into.

This should be the MFP forum motto.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Like I said i KNOW I didn't really gain it. But it still made me want to punch the scale, and I KNOW i almost always have AT LEAST 20 or so calories if not more left on mist days. But it hurt my poor little heart.
  • jemhh
    My microchip cannot process the idea of hurt feelings based on knowingly incorrect data.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I went over for the first time in 38 days yesterday. By a whopping EIGHT calories. Something about seeing red makes me feel awful, but i thought eh..whatever. and this morning i gained a 1lb. Wtf wtf wtf. I rationally know i didn't really gain a whole lb. Still sucks.
    Like I said i KNOW I didn't really gain it. But it still made me want to punch the scale, and I KNOW i almost always have AT LEAST 20 or so calories if not more left on mist days. But it hurt my poor little heart.

based on these two quotes you need to re-examine your relationship with food/losing weight.

if you are having a meltdown about going over by eight calories then that is border line eating disorder.
  • accidentalpancake
    ndj1979 wrote: »

based on these two quotes you need to re-examine your relationship with food/losing weight.

if you are having a meltdown about going over by eight calories then that is border line eating disorder.

I agree for the most part, but MFP is set up to encourage it in a way.

I'm set for maintenance, but MFP still congratulates me when my weight goes down and gives me that angry red when I go over my calories...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I agree for the most part, but MFP is set up to encourage it in a way.

I'm set for maintenance, but MFP still congratulates me when my weight goes down and gives me that angry red when I go over my calories...

That's true. And they call it a 'goal' but goes red on you if you hit it right on the nose.
  • jemhh
    What screen are you on when you get a congrats for losing? I just get a graph no matter whether my weight goes up or down.
  • accidentalpancake
    jemhh wrote: »
    What screen are you on when you get a congrats for losing? I just get a graph no matter whether my weight goes up or down.

The feed. My scale syncs automatically, and if it goes down, it notifies my adoring fans.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    I went over by 374 yesterday and this morning I weighted 0.7kg less than yesterday morning. Weight loss isn't linear! Also weight fluctuates, if you aren't already, then think about using trendweight.com where it filters out the 'noise' of water weight to give you a smoother line.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    You have to calm down about going over by 8 calories. You didn't gain weight.

Also, these calories are just estimates. You may have been under. You might be over on days when it says you're ten under.

These numbers aren't exact, carved-in-stone numbers. They're just estimates. If you're within ten of the goal, you're close enough. :)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Gently, and said as someone who has had an eating disorder -- If you're truly that upset over 8 (or 20) calories and a one pound fluctuation on the scale you're heading into dangerous territory. Or maybe already there. You need to do whatever it takes to stop that level of obsession.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Sometimes all it takes is having a better understanding of your body and how things work to calm you down. Learning about daily fluctuations and what causes them helped me a lot. Maybe you should go through your diary over the last few days and see if there is any change in your sodium levels or look at the calendar and see where you are at with your monthly cycle. Those two are usually the culprits for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.

ummm, what did he dig out of the trash?

Yea, I am thinking you need to seek out some professional help ..

or, this is not a serious thread….