Calm me down

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited August 2015
    you didn't lose an expected 0.002lb of fat from that splurge, you better do an extra hour of cardio today.

Also, if you have problems with scale flucations use trendweight.com to visualize the data differently. (if you don't have a Wifi scale, link trendweight to fitbit, and MFP to fitbit and you can enter your weight on MFP and it'll show up in trendweight) Many people freak out over the scale increasing while the overall trend is downward and the higher reading is still under the trend. Being able to visualize it really helps.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.

ummm, what did he dig out of the trash?

Yea, I am thinking you need to seek out some professional help ..

or, this is not a serious thread….

The packaging. Lol nothing exciting. We made homeade pizza. And im not like seriously upset. I just kept telling myself 8 calories..no big deal. And for me so far my weight seems to go down an oz or 2 every day. I rarely go up. So to have it happen on the one day i went over pissed me off
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    this post made me chuckle. I mean this is a nice way - chill out. LOL.

8 calories and some red print is nothing, wait until you have your first stall or weight gain that's when the fun really starts.

You need to have a good sense of humor and some thick skin to succeed at this :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.

The packaging. Lol nothing exciting. We made homeade pizza. And im not like seriously upset. I just kept telling myself 8 calories..no big deal. And for me so far my weight seems to go down an oz or 2 every day. I rarely go up. So to have it happen on the one day i went over pissed me off

Your first thread you started was amazing but this thread is concerning.
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    It helps me to look at long term patterns. I always get a little bummed when my period hits because it can take me 2 weeks some months to get back to losing again. I don't gain usually, but it just sits there, mocking me :)
    Looking at my average over the last 13 weeks though, even with monthly hiccups like that, I average 1.907lbs lost a week. It definitely helps me take a step back from obsessing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    What screen are you on when you get a congrats for losing? I just get a graph no matter whether my weight goes up or down.

The feed. My scale syncs automatically, and if it goes down, it notifies my adoring fans.

Ah. I have those notifications turned off.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Geez, my weight bounces around all over the place! I also eat over my goal quite frequently (I take a weekly view of intake). You need to get a grip or this will get out of control. You didn't gain a real 1lb, it's just one of those fluctutations, could even be down to the salt in the pizza.

Honestly, this is more than just irrational.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    What screen are you on when you get a congrats for losing? I just get a graph no matter whether my weight goes up or down.

The feed. My scale syncs automatically, and if it goes down, it notifies my adoring fans.
    You can turn those notifications off in the news feed settings. Once I transitioned to maintenance, I turned mine off.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

Yes, it makes sense. You have a perfectionist "all or nothing" mindset which is a great predictor that your weight loss efforts will ultimately fail (it is a mindset shared by many dieters.)

You need to address it - perfect is the enemy of good.

Be consistent, be patient, look to the long term. You will smash it.

Now calm the hell down!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

so you dug the packaging out of the trash to check the calorie count…?????

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    um, take a poo and weigh again?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    I went over for the first time in 38 days yesterday. By a whopping EIGHT calories. Something about seeing red makes me feel awful, but i thought eh..whatever. and this morning i gained a 1lb. Wtf wtf wtf. I rationally know i didn't really gain a whole lb. Still sucks.

Next time you go over by 8 calories, climb up your stairs 3 or 4 times and log it as walking up stairs. Time yourself on the "up" portion only. That'll burn the 8 calories and you won't feel so guilty.

But note that even if you had done that, you may have still gained 1 lb. That happens. Weight loss is not linear, it's a whole lot of ups and downs, but with a generally downward trend. This may be the first time you've experienced a small gain in the middle of a downward trend, but it won't be the last.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    edited August 2015

Salt = weight gain.

• glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member

Well, yeah..so i could log it. It was a brand i was not familiar with, and it was sitting on top. Its not like we went dumpster diving!

And i *think* this thread is being taken too seriously, the *tone* of it should be interpreted as light hearted. I promise im not crazy, well not about stuff like this anyhow.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member

There is nothing wrong with pulling the packaging out of the trash to check the nutritional information. I do it if I failed to log the item beforehand and matching the right database entry is messy (many DB items are incorrect and by a lot).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,486 Member
    Don't weigh everyday if you live and die by that number you see.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited August 2015
    I hate the red too! In the past I lied to keep it green. Now if I go over a little, I usually do not have to go back very many days before it averages out to green. Yesterday I was in the red by -294 but the day before I was in the green by +415, two days before in the green +286, and three days before that in red again by - 590, four days before green +82, five days before green +35, six days before green +12, and seven days before +386=a seven day total of green +344. The week before that all days were in the green. I lost weight. When I see red, I look at a slightly bigger picture and soon I am in the green again, Whew, no need for me to freak or give up or be anything but encouraged. Make sure you don't get so focused on the trees that you don't see the forest.
    Edited because of poor math.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    I was over >500 calories yesterday. Yup.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    I went over by about 1,000 calories yesterday. I had as many calories at dinner as I would normally have in an entire day. I did not, however, go over my goal by **7,000** calories (the rule of thumb number of excess calories needed to gain two pounds).

So when the scale showed a two pound increase this morning over last night, I said, "Huh. I had a lot of food yesterday, a lot of grains (which I don't normally eat), a glass of wine with dinner, a lot of sodium (fettucine carbonara, and I could taste the salt in the bacon), and not much water, plus I took my (diuretic) medication two hours later than typical." *Plus* the caveat with weighing every day - even if you are consistent about weighing at the same time every day, in the same state of dress - is that your body weight fluctuates.

So today I will drink a lot of water, and eat a lot of protein, and limit my grains and know I should limit my fat.

Actions have consequences, but correlation is not causation and going over the goal by 8 calories is not the trigger for the weight gain.