Water question

How much water is too much? I am aiming for 3litres a day, is that too little? too much?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Are you thirsty? If you are drink more, if you're not well it's enough
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Everyone is going to be a little different. I suggest going by the color of your urine. If your urine has no color to it you are drinking too much water. od34tdfapwsf.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Three liters wouldn't be enough for me. It might be too much for you. I'd say go by that chart.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Too much or too little, for what?
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Well I find the urine test is hard as the new multivitamins I am taking turned them a lighter yellow (say #4) if I work out I drink way more though. Not thirsty just don't want to drink too much as I hear its bad for you
  • DeguelloTex
    If they vitamins turned it lighter and that's #4, it looks like you need to drink more.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Unless you have a physical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, you can trust it. Drink water when you're thirsty. That's all you have to do. No measuring, counting necessary. You don't have to urinate and examine the results to figure out if you should have something to drink.

Drink to your thirst.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    edited August 2015
    i have read drink half your body weight in water ounces. So if you weigh 150 drink 75 oz water. I drink 64-100 oz per day [weigh 150] and do the urine test above.
  • DeguelloTex
    Drinking water only when you’re thirsty doesn't mean you're properly hydrated.
  • Azexas
    edited August 2015
    spm2010 wrote: »
    Well I find the urine test is hard as the new multivitamins I am taking turned them a lighter yellow (say #4) if I work out I drink way more though. Not thirsty just don't want to drink too much as I hear its bad for you

Drinking too much can throw off your electrolyte balance. But it would have to be a lot of water. If your urine is around 4 with multis you can increase it a little more if you would like To get in between #1-3but it's a personal preference.

If your urine goes clear, then you are drinking too much.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Although you'd have to drink a lot. 3 litres in one go might cause you some problems but over the course of the day should be fine. According to Wikipedia (yeah I know......) your kidneys can excrete 0.8 - 1 litre per hour.
  • robspot
    robspot Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2015
    In fact when I do cycling endurance events I work on the basis of approx. 750ml of fluid per hour (which is one drinks bottle)
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Azexas wrote: »

Drinking too much can throw off your electrolyte balance. But it would have to be a lot of water. If your urine is around 4 with multis you can increase it a little more if you would like To get in between #1-3but it's a personal preference.

Good to know, I always heard clear urine meant you were drinking the right amount.
  • Azexas

Good to know, I always heard clear urine meant you were drinking the right amount.

you want it to be around a straw yellow color. :)
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Their are many factors in weather you drinking too much or too little. Height, weight, how much water you have been loosing due to sweating (exercise or heat related.) best option is speak to a health professional on best amount to drink.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member

I have clear urine, and have had blood tests done recently, and my electrolytes are just fine,

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    andympanda wrote: »
    Their are many factors in weather you drinking too much or too little. Height, weight, how much water you have been loosing due to sweating (exercise or heat related.) best option is speak to a health professional on best amount to drink.

We're supposed to make an appointment with our doctor to ask how much water to drink? Seriously? People have survived for a really long time without consulting professionals for advice on how much to drink.
  • Azexas
    edited August 2015
    A good reference:
    http://www.hydrationcheck.com/the_science.php

There are a few studies on this website that are a pretty good read as well.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I will say this because I just had it done due to starting a new job. clear urine may trigger a flag if you get a drug screening done. ease up on it that day. to the screeners, it's a sign that you are trying to flush illegal things from your system. the place I went had a chart of appropriate urine colors and ones that were flags. fyi. they more you know.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    I have had as much as 5 gallons in a day only negative is having to pee frequently. I average 2-3 gallons daily