Success by eating what you want???????

Replies

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    I never was one to follow what others thought was the right diet for me. Ive been eating what I want and have lost 17 lbs in 50 days
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    I lost over 2 stone using portion control and eating what I did before (just less of it).

Sometimes I can split evening meal in half and take the rest for lunch at work etc.

Have salads sometimes but they're full of chillies, chipotles, curry powder so taste a lot better!.

Never written a thing down, just try and tot up an estimate during the day, which has worked well for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I've lost 30 lbs eating around 1700 calories of whatever I wanted, and am currently maintaining eating around 2000 calories of whatever I want... I will say, I am more mindful of my food choices. I think about and plan my meals out, making sure I get enough protein, and I've added more nutrient dense foods to my diet overall to help me in the process. But I drink wine pretty much every day, eat out 1-2x/week, have pizza, ice cream, burgers regularly.

• handeye
    handeye Posts: 52 Member
    yes! i've lost 35 pounds eating what i want and just aiming for a calorie deficit. like others have said, i do aim to eat real, whole, foods and aim to get a good balance of protein, veggies, etc. but if i want that chocolate chip cookie or that piece of pizza and it fits into my calories for the day, i eat it. it's interesting as how time goes on you don't even want junk food anymore - those items just naturally left my diet. and i never feel deprived! i honestly think this way of dieting is the best. it's a lot more sustainable and seems like less of a risk that you'll go crazy when you reach goal weight and gain it all back.
  • Asallings323
    Asallings323 Posts: 25 Member
    Portion Control rocks! I still eat everything I used to, just not as much. I do try to meet my macro and fiber goals now, but at the beginning I never worried about those things. My eating habits have naturally evolved as I see the nutrients in black and white every day while logging. Discovering portion control was a life changer for me.

4z8c3mh4o8c0.jpg
    8j79rc9uow3m.jpg

57611793.png

That's so awesome....congrats
  • leoalexgo
    leoalexgo Posts: 5 Member
    Reply to the OP: I'm not an expert, but I do believe it's possible to lose weight by restricting calorie intake alone regardless of foods consumed. I have friends at work (I work in a fast food restaurant!) who are young, fit, sporty kids who play football and have muscle who do have a fast-food meal for their break, burger and chips and dessert. Not a huge meal, but they have it all.

But:

- You would need to exercise too in order to make significant changes to your body shape. Otherwise you'll be a "flabby skinny", if you know what I mean.

- You need to consume the right amount of macro and micro nutrients for your health's sake. If you are eating a 1200 calorie diet of cakes, yes, you'll lose weight, but that's not going to be good for your body in the long term!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Lose. Loose is something your clothing gets when you lose weight.

If what you want to eat is 300kcal a day, you will not lose weight. If you are referring to not eating, for example, yogurt, because you don't like it, that's not an issue.
  • sarasakoor
    sarasakoor Posts: 12 Member
    I love this thread! I want to add you all as friends :D
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    As long as you're eating in a deficit, it'll be fine. Also just need to make sure you are eating necessary nutrients as well. I've noticed "eating what I want" usually still means eating an overabundace of fats and such. I've lost ~20lbs so far by just weighing food and walking about 7-10 miles a day.

2mbmcpkx84f2.jpg

• helenkaraven
    helenkaraven Posts: 27 Member
    i.love.burgers! so yeah.... i totally do this. and wine too, refuse point blank to give that gorgeous nectar up. so i just count it all and if it fits in my diary, i will put it in my face :) if it doesnt, i will eaither exercise until it does (special occasions etc) or adjust the portion accordingly. no diets! ever ever! (35lb down 7lb to go)
  • linzi02
    linzi02 Posts: 74 Member
    All my weight I have lost eating what I want. That's what makes a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet'. The difference is I have educated myself more about nutrition and food and more often than not I will automatically WANT to choose healthier choices. But, that being said, no one is stopping me having a glass of wine or a great big burger when I want them :p
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Yep. I even eat Taco Bell every now and then and still have managed to lose 50 lbs. The difference between the new me and the old me, however, is that the old me would have added a 5 layer beef burrito to my order, and the new me sticks with three regular crunchy tacos to stay under my calorie limit.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    linzi02 wrote: »
    All my weight I have lost eating what I want. That's what makes a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet'. The difference is I have educated myself more about nutrition and food and more often than not I will automatically WANT to choose healthier choices. But, that being said, no one is stopping me having a glass of wine or a great big burger when I want them :p

This ^^^^^

Really wish MFP had a "like" button. :/

• QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Yes! I've lost 30lbs since mid January. I just got in a healthy bmi first time since having my kids. Truely the only thing I can say I cut out would be sodes(wasn't big fan anyways). I will say I try make better chooses but I love my snack cakes, chocolate and pizza. I always make them fit in my calories and macro. As I sit here thinking about getting candy bar because I can.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    I have "Pizza Wednesday", used to eat a large one all in one go but now I take half to work on Thursday and have double the treat!.

Hell would freeze over before I stop pizza Wednesday..
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2015
    25 lbs down and not one friggin salad yet!!! lol

Heh, I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I suppose. My tastes have changed so much I usually eat my salads dry with tasty veggies and proteins I actually like with a nice little bit of parmesan or feta cheese. I also relish my green smoothies like I did my milkshakes. I used to be heavily addicted to the drive through fatty sodium bombs. Now I feel like Mel Gibson screaming "FREEDOM!" in Brave Heart. So glad the buds have adapted. I actually want the healthy bits, now.

I still have a treat now and then. Rather than desserts, my guilty pleasures tend to be pasta, a good burger and fries, or occasional BBQ. They're just for variety now, rather than staples. Feel soooo much better for it.

Down 79lbs.
  • Asallings323
    Great replies everyone. So glad I started this thread!!!!
  • Jimmie342
    Jimmie342 Posts: 56 Member
    I've been eating what I normally would. Just less than I would normally eat. I've lost 20 lbs since August 1st. I think that is what really makes the difference this time.
  • Asallings323
    Jimmie342 wrote: »
    I've been eating what I normally would. Just less than I would normally eat. I've lost 20 lbs since August 1st. I think that is what really makes the difference this time.

Great job
  • bustedsweetie
    bustedsweetie Posts: 16 Member
    I lost 21 pounds by mostly cutting down on what I eat. I have changed some things such as switching high sugar foods to lower sugar foods, and eating less fatty foods. I don't eat as healthy as a lot on here but I eat better than I did before.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!