Workout Check-in: Heavy Metal Edition (aka August)

Replies

• ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Squats 140 lbs 5x5, still. Form was much better and felt strong throughout. I'm going to stick with this weight for another session, then increase to 145.

Bench 90 lbs!! 5x5 This was my third try at this weight and I had pretty much resigned myself to a de-load. However, I came across a video in an older thread (can't find it now) that got me on track. Following her advice, I beat that 90 lbs. The shoulder position and leg drive made a big difference.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34XRmd3a8_0

Row 110 lbs 5x5 Starting to get heavy, hahaha.

I just do so much better on my Tues workouts than on my Thurs, for some reason. I always "feel" stronger.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Leg day o' terror, but I gotta do it before vacation! I won't have access to a decent squat rack for awhile.

Front Squats 5x5 85lbs (warmup 45/45/65lbs) - These are going great, I'm starting to like front squats. Ask me again once they are 135lbs.

Low Bar Squats 3x5 160lbs (warmup 135lbs) - This was overkill. Too much squat.

Romanian Deadlift 3x5 95lbs

Sumo Deadlift 1x5 135lbs - I was supposed to do 150lbs but my knee was starting to get unhappy during squats.

I'll be back in 2 weeks - take care everyone!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Jogged 3 miles this morning. Gym tonight and had a nice day off from work.

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 165 - barely. Struggled but made it through all of the reps. Going to be very slow going from here, when I do increase.

bench press 3x5 @ 90 - meh. Wasn't bad but still struggling with leg drive and getting it off the rack to start. I tried putting it on the lower "oh @#^&" spot but that doesn't work either. It's just a tiny bit too high up for me on the regular spot. Hard to keep shoulders and everything in place during.

bent over row 3x5 @ 80 - easy enough.

Accessories:
    leg press 3x10 @ 200 - managed and might increase soon

good morning 3x12 @ 60 - fine as normal

rdl 3x10 @ 90 - okay but grip by the end was rough
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 80 - challenging still

sleep time!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Hur durr kurrrr. Kro runs dislikes. Kro sleeps moar wants.

6x700m (2 laps)
    3:56
    3:57
    4:01
    4:02
    4:12
    4:08

Oh yeah, on Sunday I was running 3 laps in under 6 minutes. Can't believe I couldn't push the pace to do better than 2 mins a lap for the most part. I'd run out of steam after about 2/3rds of the distance. I tried. I pushed. The next gear just wouldn't slide in. I had to yell and grind to finish the last interval. And yet I wasn't all that out of breath afterwards. I guess there are bad days and today was one. I did forget to take my watch and end up in shorts too tight with parachute underwear... >_<
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Man, my first gym workout in over a week and a half was brutal! It was Stronglifts B tonight with 100 lb on squats, 45 on OHP, and 105 on DL. I finished all but the last rep on squats - could have done it but form was starting to suck so I need to stick with 100 again anyway. Then did flys and donkey kicks (amazingly brutal with just 10 lbs, especially after the squats), crunches/lower crunches/planks/side planks. I wanted to do more but was short on time because of car issues and forgetting half my workout clothes at home. Not to mention short on energy! Looking forward to getting consistent again - life has kind of been a series of unfortunate events lately.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    B-day:

Squat: 65lb 5x5. Really focused on not tipping forward on the way up, wasn't successful every rep, but definitely better than last time. this is getting hard, lol. But I'll try 70lb.

OH press. 50lb 5x5. This is still super hard, I've deloaded once already. On the last two reps today I could barely get the bar up and was wobbling a lot so I'll do this weight for one more day before I move on to 55lbs.

Deadlift. 1x5 at 95, 1x5 at 125, then 1x5 at 135, which is my work weight. I think the 135 warmup set tired me out. I made it but I was exhausted, lol. Didn't help that this was my first time with the big girl plates. I felt completely ridiculous trying to even get the plates onto the bar and off. Hopefully I get used to that.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Today was a struggle, my legs have not really forgiven me for Monday yet!

Still, managed a strong curves B day which for me is the toughest day, A and C have more in common with 5x5 and are a bit more relateable so forgive me if this is gobbledegook to 5x5ers

3 sets of:
    12 single leg hip thrusts followed by 3 assisted (15kg) chin ups
    16 dumbell step ups (on to a bench carrying 2 8kg dumbells) followed by 8 20kg OHP

2 sets of 12 single leg back extensions (prisoner 45 degrees thingies)
    15 straight let sit ups
    10 60kg seated abductions and 10 at 45kg - supposed to be one set of 20 but I decided I was losing my full range of movement as I went too high with the weight...
    20 of each 45 degree side bends - I find them tough as my pelvis is all twisted so my form is less than good.

Also, foam rolling, I think that hurt more than the workout
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Last night was

Squat 5x45,55; 3x70; 5x75,85,95
    Bench 5x45,50,;3x60;5x65,75; 6x85
    Pause bench 3x5x65
    Row 2x5x65; 5x75
    Push-up 3x10

Nothing exciting. Frustrated that I only got 6 for my last set of bench. My strength just sucks right now!
  • ar9179
    Typical Thursday outcome, so kinda bleh feeling.

Squats 140lbs 5x5- I'll up it to 145 on Tues since form and strength did improve.

OHP 65lbs 5x5- Was supposed to be 70 but after only 1 rep I knew form fails would do me in, so a little de-load today. I keep thinking I'm going to wet my pants on these. Am I the only one? LOL

DL 205 lbs 1x5 - Good grief, this was heavy. I think I'll stay here for a bit as I could barely stand up straight on the last two and my grip almost failed me!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    So, one of my progress pics in a massive success stories thread has been flagged as Abuse.....ummm ok....I don't really understand why?? It does show my bikini bottoms which I guess look kind of like underwear? But seriously? How is that abuse? and its been flagged twice!!! WTF?!?!

Anyways, lifted last night

squat 5x5x120lbs still working up from hip issue
    ohp 5x5x70lbs
    deadlift 1x5x210lbs

• ar9179
    Maybe Planet Fitness is trolling you because you're intimidating (too hot)? I don't know. Your pics were in the thread that inspired me to start lifting so, Thank You!
    Not only am I stronger and look better, but my whole outlook has changed for the better with lifting and yoga.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Missed my workout on Tues because it was my bday and we went out and had a huge dinner :P I was so stuffed, the gym was not happening.

Squats - 3x5 at 125 lbs. Ok, could be better.
    Pull ups - in between squat sets - 3,3,2. May have cheated on the last rep, as I kind of had to tilt my head back to really get my chin above the bar. :p
    OHP - 3x5 at 57.5 lbs. Ugly. I can't seem to get the hang of chest out and shoulder blades down and back without arching my back.
    DL - 1x5 at 170. Pretty good. Then one rep at 175 because that is 1.5x my body weight and I wanted to see if I could...I could :D They will all be at 175 next time!
    Rows - 3x5 at 70 lbs. Fine
    Close grip BP - 3x8 at 60 lbs. Hard, but good.
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 45 lbs - finally got all the reps :) Super hard, but I did it.
    Cable crunches - 3x12 at 50 lbs.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Today was

Squat 5x45,55; 3x70; 5x75,85,95
    Ohp 5x45,45,50,60
    Deadlift 5x65; 3x90; 5x105,120; 8x135
    Pause deadlift 3x3x105
    Hip thrust 3x10x125
    Ab wheel 3x10

I think my form on squats has definitely been improving. I maybe have my hips come up a little bit fast but definitely not as much as I used to. I will probably post a video for feedback soon. I probably could have gotten more than 8 on my last set of deadlifts but my hands and wrists were bothering me so I just called it good.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    ar9179 wrote: »
    Maybe Planet Fitness is trolling you because you're intimidating (too hot)? I don't know. Your pics were in the thread that inspired me to start lifting so, Thank You!
    Not only am I stronger and look better, but my whole outlook has changed for the better with lifting and yoga.

Nawww ❤️❤️❤️ this is awesome. Thank you, I feel better
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Urg, this might be the last barbell workout I report for a while. Flared up my shoulder again. Not too sure what exactly did it. I know the OHP wasn't super comfortable, but it only started feeling pinched later on...

Squats 140x4x4 - was actually kinda "easy", as far as those heavy sets go.

OHP 45x5x5 - not hard, tried to fix my technique some, did feel some discomfort. Meh
    Deadlifts 135x3x5, 155x5 - nothing to write home about.

Straight arm pulldown 15x15, 25x2x15, 15x15 - these may be what caused the flare up, but they,re really close to one of the band moves my physio prescribed as rehab, only with 2 arms at a time, and i kept the weight relatively easy. However my left arm was getting the brunt of the work on the sets @ 25 so maybe it was too much?

I tried to counter balance with 2 sets of super light curls. My left elbow didn't like that.

I don't know what to do anymore. *sighs*
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    I wasn't feeling great this morning, so I deloaded my squats just for today.

Workout B

Squats, 5x5@95 lbs. I will go back up to 115 lbs next week, just needed to back off a bit today so I could still get my lifting in.

OHP, 5x5@50 lbs. These felt easy today.

Deadlift, 2x5@125 lbs. Ooh boy, these are getting heavy! Next time I may only do one set at 130 lbs.

Good mornings, 3x10@50 lbs.

45 minutes on the elliptical to finish up.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Thursday was workout B

Squats 5x45,55 3x65 5x70 lbs
    OHP 5x45 3x50 5x55 lbs
    Deadlift 5x45 5x60 3x70 5x85

Squats felt good, deadlift felt good, overhead press felt...challenging. Up until now I've been pretty cavalier about taking the full 90 seconds between sets. I think I should start respecting that time if I want to avoid failing.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Squats 140 lbs 5x5, still. Form was much better and felt strong throughout. I'm going to stick with this weight for another session, then increase to 145.

Bench 90 lbs!! 5x5 This was my third try at this weight and I had pretty much resigned myself to a de-load. However, I came across a video in an older thread (can't find it now) that got me on track. Following her advice, I beat that 90 lbs. The shoulder position and leg drive made a big difference.

I just do so much better on my Tues workouts than on my Thurs, for some reason. I always "feel" stronger.

Thank you so much for posting this video--really helpful, especially the leg drive.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    @psych101 - Your picture is awesome. I think I've seen it a few times now and each time, it's inspiring.

I'm a bit behind as the last two days were quite busy. Lifted before work yesterday, rushed to finish decorating cake and such, worked close shift, then finished a couple of things before bed. Today, I got up at 5:30 am, was at the park before 6:30 for long jog. Got coffee, then went to work for a short shift after which I got dressed up and walked around a mall for a little bit just to get out and do something. Now I'm going to rest my poor feet (pesky girl shoes) and order a pizza. Plus I have chocolate cake. Later maybe I should post somewhere a picture from last year and one from today since it has been a year and I've lost almost 70.

Thursday's Lifting: Workout B

low bar 3x5 @ - not bad at that weight

OHP 1x4 and 2x5 @ 70 - Struggled the first set, had a guy waiting for me to finish using the squat rack, but the other sets weren't bad.

deadlift 1x5 @ 195 - barely. I almost didn't get the last rep. Was lucky the guys using the spot let me in as they were going to spend an hour doing I'm not sure what, maybe snatch or power clean, I didn't wait around to see. Since I just had the small amount of reps to do, they let me.

Lat pull down 3x12 @ 70 - okay but challenging by the end.

Morning Jog = 4.5 miles. My longest jog so far and it wasn't too bad. I might consider myself a "runner" at this point, since I got up at an unsightly hour just to get the jog in before working the shift I took for a coworker. So sleepy now.
  • ar9179
    scrittrice wrote: »

Thank you so much for posting this video--really helpful, especially the leg drive.

I'm happy it helped someone else. Obviously, she knows what she's talking about! Yes, pushing back instead of up made a difference for me, and my husband. He's finally using his whole body instead of his arms and upper torso (because COMPOUND didn't register, even though I explained the whole compound thing).