Calm me down

13»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    You can't reason someone out of a position she didn't reason herself into.
    +1
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Gently, and said as someone who has had an eating disorder -- If you're truly that upset over 8 (or 20) calories and a one pound fluctuation on the scale you're heading into dangerous territory. Or maybe already there. You need to do whatever it takes to stop that level of obsession.

^^ that.

I've lost 70 some odd pounds over the past 9 months. there are PLENTY of days I'm WELL over my calories. Due to the death of my father (who we cared for) and moving, I haven't worked out in over a month. I still lose weight (proof perfect you lose weight in the kitchen not in the gym). My weight does not go down every time i step on the scale. But obviously, the overall trend is absolutely perfect (as perfect can be when it comes to weight loss, anyways).

take a chill pill. i guarantee you are over more often than you think you are, simply due to normal calories estimations, and the scales don't register it. remember- overall trend, not one day, week or even couple of weeks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Climb off the crazy train there girl. You're doing fine. You were almost 400 over in sodium yesterday - that's probably where the increase on the scale is coming from. Have some extra water and keep away from the scale for a while if the natural fluctuations bother you so much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.

ummm, what did he dig out of the trash?

Yea, I am thinking you need to seek out some professional help ..

or, this is not a serious thread….

The packaging. Lol nothing exciting. We made homeade pizza. And im not like seriously upset. I just kept telling myself 8 calories..no big deal. And for me so far my weight seems to go down an oz or 2 every day. I rarely go up. So to have it happen on the one day i went over pissed me off

so you dug the packaging out of the trash to check the calorie count…?????

There is nothing wrong with pulling the packaging out of the trash to check the nutritional information. I do it if I failed to log the item beforehand and matching the right database entry is messy (many DB items are incorrect and by a lot).

yea, rummaging through the trash can in a panic to get the nutritional information is totally normal. …
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't have a weird relationship with food, o have a weird relationship with myself. Like i expect better blah blah blah. Does that make sense? Im one of those if i say im going yo do it, i am..and i feel like i failed myself.

It was also the first time i ate dinner before i logged it. My husband made dinner, and had thrown all the trash away..so he dug it out.

The packaging. Lol nothing exciting. We made homeade pizza. And im not like seriously upset. I just kept telling myself 8 calories..no big deal. And for me so far my weight seems to go down an oz or 2 every day. I rarely go up. So to have it happen on the one day i went over pissed me off

There is nothing wrong with pulling the packaging out of the trash to check the nutritional information. I do it if I failed to log the item beforehand and matching the right database entry is messy (many DB items are incorrect and by a lot).

yea, rummaging through the trash can in a panic to get the nutritional information is totally normal. …

I've been there before... it's not a nice place... never again.

Never.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It was probably the 8 extra calories.

But seriously, it was just the pizza. Extra carbs, extra salt... They make you retain water.

What you weigh day to day means very little. Also, I think you might need to step away from the scale (for a while) and/or logging (for a few days).
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    You remind me of... Me :). I used to get all freaked out when I saw the red number. I'm almost 6 full months in, I've lost 62 pounds, and I weigh every morning and evening. I do not, however, get freaked out by my scale. I'd be in an asylum by now if I did.

I've figured out what causes gains, for the most part my gains are due to sodium, TOM, or after strength training. If my muscles are sore I will bounce up 1-2 pounds for a day or two.

Occasionally my scale will go up 1-2 pounds because she likes to mess with me. But inevitably my weight will decrease and whatever fluke happened will settle.

Oh, two days ago I ate 600 calories in the red. And I loved every single bite. My weight bounced up 1.2 pounds. But it will be gone in the morning. And every now and then... It's worth it!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    I went over for the first time in 38 days yesterday. By a whopping EIGHT calories. Something about seeing red makes me feel awful, but i thought eh..whatever. and this morning i gained a 1lb. Wtf wtf wtf. I rationally know i didn't really gain a whole lb. Still sucks.
    Like I said i KNOW I didn't really gain it. But it still made me want to punch the scale, and I KNOW i almost always have AT LEAST 20 or so calories if not more left on mist days. But it hurt my poor little heart.

Haha, I hope you won't be crushed to know that nutrition label guidelines allow rounding off to the nearest 5 if a serving is under 50 cals and to the nearest 10 if over 50 cals. So that means a label can be off by 20% and if you consider all the multiple foods you're consuming, think of the cumulative effect.

So freaking out over your 8 or 20 calories is hilarious and at a minimum, is disordered thinking.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    In my defense i just noticed that my calories went down by 10 now, aren't i supposed to get an alert or something?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member

I'm yet to see anything about rummaging through the trash in a panic. It was probably right on the top in the can. Open can, grab item.

If you have a problem with that, then you probably have a problem with anyone who even looks at a nutrition label, as they must be panicking about what they might eat.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Yeah, i didn't realize that was that big a deal.

I'm yet to see anything about rummaging through the trash in a panic. It was probably right on the top in the can. Open can, grab item.

If you have a problem with that, then you probably have a problem with anyone who even looks at a nutrition label, as they must be panicking about what they might eat.[/quote]

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    In my defense i just noticed that my calories went down by 10 now, aren't i supposed to get an alert or something?

No ... it just happens automatically when you've lost a certain amount of weight.

Mine started at about 1250 and dropped to 1200. I tried that for about a week, didn't like it, and manually raised it to 1250 again where I stayed until I hit my first goal.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    To be bothered about 8 calories and getting upset about out is ridiculous. Why stress out on something so trivial? If this thread is serious then you might want to reappraise your approach and whether you are making it harder than it needs to be. In the time it took to post you could have burned those 8 calories off, problem solved.
  • keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    um, take a poo and weigh again?

LOL, exactly what I would have said!!!