this Weight DOes Not Want to Come off..! Need Advice..

I Began MFP again 1 month ago , In hopes that i would master it to lose weight after failing so many times though i put in the work.. I'm 45 years old so i know it prob contributes to losing weight harder. 1 Month ago i decided i would not eat a thing unless i weight & calulate every bite. i also purchached a treadmill and carefully measured every meal to be precise in order to stay withing my calories. I aslo calulated how many calories i need to burn weekly to burn 1 lbs by exersice alone besides my diet, > which is 1300 . i have a Problem now and not sure what to do.. The weight was falling off the first month & i was able to lose 22 lbs. ut for some reason no matter how much walkng, Running i do which happens to be between 1-2 hours 5 days a week. i Also changed the food i eat & began eating a clean eating diet. NO Processed foods at all. mostly seeds, beans, whole wheat, and Tons of vegies.. Can Some one tell me why My Body is not letting go of the weight now? & what can i do to get it to lose again.. i started at 280 & now 257.8 i lost this weight in a month and wasnted to lose the same again..

Replies

• LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Posted in wrong section, IMO. This belongs more with "General Weight Loss Help" rather than "MFP Suggestions".
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Most folks lose water weight at the beginning then the loss slows down. You won't continue to lose at that rate. It also isn't linear. Some weeks you'll lose inches but the scale won't move. As long as your consistent, it will come off.

No need to drop foods you would like to continue eating. Nutrition is important but so is not feeling deprived. Enjoy what you like and just weigh and log. If you in a calorie deficit, the weight will come off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @torchita I suggest you keep doing what you are doing and read as much as you can on the subject. Losing nearly a pound a day is a LOT and your body may just be taking a break to readjust to your new way of eating and weight.

In my case the first 6 months was a huge learning curve so give yourself some time as you learn more about weight loss.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    torchita wrote: »
    I Began MFP again 1 month ago , In hopes that i would master it to lose weight after failing so many times though i put in the work.. I'm 45 years old so i know it prob contributes to losing weight harder. 1 Month ago i decided i would not eat a thing unless i weight & calulate every bite. i also purchached a treadmill and carefully measured every meal to be precise in order to stay withing my calories. I aslo calulated how many calories i need to burn weekly to burn 1 lbs by exersice alone besides my diet, > which is 1300 . i have a Problem now and not sure what to do.. The weight was falling off the first month & i was able to lose 22 lbs. ut for some reason no matter how much walkng, Running i do which happens to be between 1-2 hours 5 days a week. i Also changed the food i eat & began eating a clean eating diet. NO Processed foods at all. mostly seeds, beans, whole wheat, and Tons of vegies.. Can Some one tell me why My Body is not letting go of the weight now? & what can i do to get it to lose again.. i started at 280 & now 257.8 i lost this weight in a month and wasnted to lose the same again..

How long has it been since you last lost weight? stalls do happen and there's nothing you can do. But if you just began a month ago and you have lost 22 pounds in that time, you are doing well. As someone else pointed out, you lose lots of water weight at first.

When did you start running? I stalled for a couple of weeks when I started--my muscles were holding water

For weight loss, unless you have a metabolic disorder like PCOS, only calories matter. I ate plenty of processed foods while I lost my 70 pounds.

My advice, since you're weighing everything and presumably using the recipe builder, is to simply be patient. Keep it up and results will follow.
  • torchita
    torchita Posts: 32 Member

How long has it been since you last lost weight? stalls do happen and there's nothing you can do. But if you just began a month ago and you have lost 22 pounds in that time, you are doing well. As someone else pointed out, you lose lots of water weight at first.

When did you start running? I stalled for a couple of weeks when I started--my muscles were holding water

For weight loss, unless you have a metabolic disorder like PCOS, only calories matter. I ate plenty of processed foods while I lost my 70 pounds.

My advice, since you're weighing everything and presumably using the recipe builder, is to simply be patient. Keep it up and results will follow.[/quote]
    I just started walking a month ago at a speed 3.3-3,5 . i was so big that i couldnt go any faster.. i would do that for 1 hour strait , and 20 minutes later do another minutes the same to complete a 90 minute work out . since im still heavy and have back knees, i still walk fast and then add running 2 minutes of every ten i am walking.. its all i can do since i have a heart condition also.. and i began adding the running a week aho and did not lose anything.. and i cant figure it out becuase i only rest 1 day a week from walking, but i still eat my calorie intake.. infact i even leave 100 calories uneaten every day this week to see if that was the problem, but it hasn't helped me lose anything.. I wonder if I should have 1100 calorie to eat a day and add another an another hour.. at this point im not sure what else to do , becuase it cant be salt.. iv cut the salt out and now use a few drops of amno acids instead to my cooking.. i also do not use oil. but instead use pam when cooking and to get my fate in i eat boiled eggs & nuts.. i'm gonna continue and hope this doesnt last for more then a a month because i doubt i can continue doing this every day before my knees start gvining me problems again.. im still 257.8 lbs and its hard on my nees..
  • kami3006
    edited August 2015
    Would you mind opening your diary for us? Do you weigh you food?
  • torchita
    yess ill figure out how to open this diary.. and i use a food scale.. and measuring spoons I make sure to level every thing that mounds to a perfect leval.. today my my breakfast consisted, of 50 grams roma tomato, 38 grams of yard beans, and one green onion stalk that by the gram turned out to be 5 calories. i also had a bell pepper that was 28 cals and my Carb for breakfast was a homemade, whole wheat toritll that was 130 calories .. i know it was because i make sure to measure every ingridient an do not add salt or oil.. i devide the amount i made according to the calories from each ingridient and knw how many calories each toritlla is.. i make my own bread as well to cut out all processed foods. and have been eating whole foods clean of any addtives.. iv been doing this for a month now and I use amino acids instead of salt to cut back on sodium.. I'm wondering if carb cycling would help me start lsoing again.. i heard that help metabolism..
  • kami3006
    edited August 2015
    Doesn't sound like you've stalled for very long. It's perfectly normal to not have the scale change for a few weeks and then whoosh, it's down a couple pounds. I really don't think you need to do much more than give it some time. If it's been 6 weeks or more since you've lost, that's when you make changes. Also, take body measurements. Sometimes you're getting smaller even though the scale hasn't shown it yet.

Cutting out processed foods, carbs, etc won't do anything other than possibly lower your deficit. You can gain, lose, or maintain on whole foods too depending on your intake.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Are you over-estimating your calorie burn?
    Are you eating back too many of your exercise calories?
    My weight loss stalled for a while, and that was probably part of why.
    Are you eating enough protein to support muscle and tissue repair following your workout?

Eat enough protein.
    Eat enough fat.
    Drink enough water.
    Get enough sleep.
    Don't stress about the loss rate.

• torchita
    Yes.. Half my calories come from lean protien , skinless boneless chiken breast. Or Black beans.. the rest are carbs that come from vegies and a once a day break which i also make at home from whole wheat organic product. I eleminate all salt an oli so that my fats come soley from greak yogurt & nuts.. the nuts are counted aswell and salt free. i have 16 raw almonds 3 times a week to make sure i am getting a sufficient amount of fats. and also allow myself to eat 3 whole eegs a week to also get fat from the yolk.. but other then this.. i practically live off green beans and black beans. along with fresh raw vgies.. I drink 5 32 oz glasses of water per day an inbtween that I have another 2-3 32 oz at a tme of lemon aid i sweeten with a zero calorie sweetner.. I figure mybe my body grew accustomed to the same work out from the whole month.. so will be alternating swimming every other day now in hopes it will help.. my fam says they iv'e lost alot of nches.. and i was able to get back into some jeans when i was forty lbs less. but they were tight .. so i want to lose at least another 20 for the hollidays.. i dont plan on ever being thin because iv been in the 300's 330 to be exact. most my life.. but i would love to be 230 again ,, i felt alot better at that weight..
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Don't put deadlines on yourself and you will have a better time. Forgive me if you answered this--your syntax is a little difficult--but HOW LONG have you been stuck? I wouldn't worry until it's been a few weeks.

I also wouldn't drop down to 1100 calories. You'll lose more muscle along with that fat.