protein oatmeal

ok all.....thought this would be a stupid simple thing but apparently im missing something. Tried making protein oatmeal that ive been looking forward to alllll day i was so excited for it and it turned out DISGUSTING:( Couldve cried. I used two packs of sugar free maple instant oatmeal, cooked with plenty of water, added in a sample pack i had (equal to 1 scoop) of Quest Salted Caramel protein, stirred in and added a bit extra water. The whey STILL got clump and almost cooked even though i didnt put the oatmeal back in the microwave! what gives?! im the type that HAAAAATES to waste food and will eat something even if its not great, but this i had to dump after suffering through a few bites, i was so sad. What am i missing here?

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    I put coconut oil in oatmeal to make it smooth out

Protein mix in oatmeal turns to concrete

You could make the stuff, dig a hole to put up your mailbox post, and dump the oatmeal in the hole.

It would be hard as concrete and hold up the mailbox post for years!

Yeah....

It is disgusting
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    You did two things wrong
    1. Used instant oatmeal
    2. Added Protein Powder

Just have normal oatmeal and don't get too obsessed about protein you are unlikely to need. If you want more protein in your oatmeal add some chia or hemp seeds
  • Moter98
    Moter98 Posts: 51 Member
    The protein powder you used is really thick. I have to add twice as much liquid to it compared to other protein powders and it's still thick. Great to fill you up, but you may want to try a different powder in your oatmeal. I've added others to my oatmeal before after cooking and did not have a problem.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Or egg whites - cook your oatmeal with eggwhites and you're getting some protein in and it makes it really smooth!
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/09/protein-oatmeal-add-an-egg-yall_n_6288246.html

I do like the protein powder in my oatmeal - I love how thick it gets. But that's just me :expressionless:
    It also tends to make you constipated I find, so be careful with that haha
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I tried adding protein powder to my oatmeal once. I agree that it's disgusting. No thank you.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    This morning I added a 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt to cinnamon oatmeal to up the protein. Sometimes I add peanut butter on mornings when I am doing a long run.

If I was going to use protein powder I would mix it with water first, before adding it to the oatmeal. Even when using a Blender Bottle protein powder tends to clump and needs to set for a little bit before being shaken again. Trying to stir it into cooked or semi-cooked oatmeal is just going to draw all of the available moisture out of the oatmeal and the powder would still not be fully hydrated. The only fix might be to add a lot of water so that it is soupy and then cook it back down.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Add oat or wheat bran, hemp or chia seeds and some nuts to your oatmeal. These are all protein boosters.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    When I had to work hard at getting my protein in I did that and logged the recipe as "gruel". That's how much I hated it. These days I put a dollop of Greek yogurt on top of my oatmeal and eat it that way.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    ok all.....thought this would be a stupid simple thing but apparently im missing something. Tried making protein oatmeal that ive been looking forward to alllll day i was so excited for it and it turned out DISGUSTING:( Couldve cried. I used two packs of sugar free maple instant oatmeal, cooked with plenty of water, added in a sample pack i had (equal to 1 scoop) of Quest Salted Caramel protein, stirred in and added a bit extra water. The whey STILL got clump and almost cooked even though i didnt put the oatmeal back in the microwave! what gives?! im the type that HAAAAATES to waste food and will eat something even if its not great, but this i had to dump after suffering through a few bites, i was so sad. What am i missing here?

Use old-fashioned oats and then at the protein powder in after you scoop into the bowl and stir. Never use instant packets
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I use plain 1 minute oatmeal and Quest caramel powder and it turns out delicious every time.. no clumps at all (I mix it after the oatmeal is cooked too). I'm guessing it's the type of oatmeal you used, probably the flavoring or spices that they added in there... (plus really, maple and caramel just doesn't sound good to me).
  • roiarceneaux
    roiarceneaux Posts: 3 Member
    Protein powder and oatmeal has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten.

Now scrambled egg whites with olive mixed in oatmeal is daily my breakfast. That's good stuff.
  • roiarceneaux
    roiarceneaux Posts: 3 Member
    Protein powder and oatmeal has to be the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten.

Now scrambled egg whites with olive mixed in oatmeal is daily my breakfast. That's good stuff.

Olive oil

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

Dunno I used not to be fond of it until I tried with Quest powder...

I like egg whites in it too though!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd mix the protein powder with a bit of milk before adding it to the oatmeal