salsa and chips?

I have lots of fresh ingredients in my garden right now for making homemade salsa. (tomatoes, basil, parsley, garlic, lemon and lime juice)

The problem is the chips are so high in calories. Any ideas what I can switch the chips out for.

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Celery? Baked chips? Use the salsa on salad instead?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I use salsa mixed in my sald for a little zing. I add it to my homemade turkey taco.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Maybe just use tortillas. Baked chips have almost as many calories as fried ones, they just shift the calories from fat to carbs.

What I ended up doing was buying scoop chips so that my salsa to chip ratio was very, very high. I could get a lot of salsa without as many chips.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Maybe just use tortillas. Baked chips have almost as many calories as fried ones, they just shift the calories from fat to carbs.

What I ended up doing was buying scoop chips so that my salsa to chip ratio was very, very high. I could get a lot of salsa without as many chips.

I like this idea!

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited August 2015
    Fresh cut vegetables? Cottage cheese? Salad? Ontop of chicken? Salsa is one of my go-to ways for flavoring foods without a ton of calories.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Tacos? Tostadas? Sopes? Yes, there's still a tortilla involved, but, if you're like me, you can eat chips nonstop, but a couple well-loaded tacos, tostadas, or sopes will fill you up and keep you from going overboard.

I also like salsa with eggs.
  • richmond2410
    richmond2410 Posts: 34 Member
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I like the salad idea. I would not have thought to add salsa to salad, but that sounds good. I might also try the scoops chips.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Omelets and eggs. Yum! That's one of the places I use them. I also top my chicken with it sometimes, or add it to goat cheese or cream cheese. I bet that would be delicious, especially a smear of soft cheese in a mini pepper half topped with good fresh salsa.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Oh yeah, I love salsa in my salad with black beans, cheese, maybe some fajita steak or shrimp, taco seasoning, avocado. Eggs too!

I also love to dip cucumber in salsa. Chips are great but the amount I need to feel satisfied doesn't typically fit into my calorie goal easily.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I use the white parts from a head of lettuce. I've trend other stuff, but nothing works and tastes as good.
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Salsa on salad is delicious! We have "taco Tuesday" weekly and I always have a ginormous salad and use salsa, greek yogurt, avocado and a bit of hot sauce. Or you can bake corn tortillas is the oven for chips. Yum.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I don't think chips are all that high in calories, unless you're eating a whole bag... The ones I usually get are a little thinner than usual (cantina style), and they're 140 calories for 14 chips. Not bad considering the salsa is next to nothing.
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Go online there are plenty of low calorie homemade chips
  • 5ft9andgettingtrim
    5ft9andgettingtrim Posts: 12 Member
    Mediterranean chips look and taste good. Mixture of vegetables
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I never use salsa as a dip. I just use it in tacos and taco salads.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    When I go eat salsa at the Mexican place I get a spoon break off one crumb and eat it that way. You really don't need but around 5-7 chips eating it like this. You will have the "crunch" without calories. 5 chips and salsa is 175 calories and I use to eat an entire basket lol.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    I use a spoon. :) I also mix salsa with bay shrimp for a shrimp salad.

At 9-15 calories a chip, the problem is not the calories per chip, per se. It's being able to stop after 5-10 chips instead of not realizing you've eaten 30-40. :/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Salsa is good on many things - burritos, tacos, eggs, chicken, white fish, salad.

You can also cut the calories by cutting and toasting a low carb tortilla for chips.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Salsa is good on baked potatoes. Potato with spicy black beans, cheese, and salsa is a quick and tasty meal.
    I also eat salsa on rice cakes. A regular rice cake (not the flavored mini kind) is 35 calories, salty, and crunchy.