September 2015 Running Challenge

Stoshew71
Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the August (2015) Running Challenge which can be found at:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10222628/august-2015-running-challenge

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 200 miles. However, don't let that worry you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? if you are new to running, set a low goal.

You can set your goal now but wait until Tuesday September 1st to log your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    In for 127. Woo hoo! September is my favorite month! Fall weather, football, back-to-school and my birthday!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,482 Member
    edited August 2015
    In for 135 miles! I was going to say 125 but I keep under estimating my total and I want more of a challenge. This month I'm spending one weekend visiting my daughter in college and one weekend moving Mom to her new apartment, so 135 should be a challenge, yet still doable.

Thanks @Stoshew71!
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    I'm in for another 40.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    I'm in for a fifty miles in September!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    IN- I'm going to roll over august months since it's all the same training if that's okay with everyone!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    im in for 45 miles

exercise.png
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've had two months at 100 (went over in July, slightly under for August due to travel and activities), but I'm having some problems with my hip. :( In an effort to be in good shape for my first 10K at the end of the month, I'm going to dial it back to 75, in the hopes that I won't feel so much pressure to run every day. I think I'm going to either swim or do elliptical workouts on the days I do strength training. I'm also breaking my new shoes out of the box and retiring my first pair of running shoes!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in 80+ for September! Maybe 90 ;)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'll take September running challenge for 120 miles please Stan. It'll be a little harder with XC meets on Saturdays, but I'll have to step it up during the week.

thanks for setting us up!
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Gonna be ambitious and say 40 miles, which is 10 more than last month. BUT school starts and I will be very busy with student teaching so we'll see what actually happens. I'll also begin weight lifting again this month.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    65 this month: Lily the rescue is doing well on the tandem leash, and as humidity should drop soon, we can go as a "foursome" more often:
    hhy2ty6dn5or.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I missed my shot at 200+ miles last month :cry: but I may not be ready for that anyway.:smile: Maybe next year.

This month I am down for 166 miles in my (revised) training plan. I think I'll have some fun and use that exact number instead of rounding.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Life got in the way of reaching August's goal so am moving it forward to September: I'm in for 322km / 200 miles.

I've no idea if I can fit in the volume I want to get to this fall now that soccer season is starting up again. I help coach a team so each week there's two evening practices and one game day taking away from running time. Sure going to try though...
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    I didn't hit my August goal, but did lots of biking. I will still do lots of biking and will be tapering the end of Sept for the 10/4 HM, so I think I will make my goal 75.
    I hope September brings everyone some nice running weather!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,482 Member
    edited August 2015
    mwyvr wrote: »
    I've no idea if I can fit in the volume I want to get to this fall now that soccer season is starting up again. I help coach a team so each week there's two evening practices and one game day taking away from running time. Sure going to try though...

"Coach, why are you running around the field while we do our warmup?"
    "Coach, are you sure that running these trails will help us win games?"

This is the first year since 2003 that I haven't been coaching soccer. It's been bittersweet getting out of it. I don't miss the preparation, time commitment, and a minority of the parents but I sure miss the working with the kids, the smiles, the successes and even the failures. I help coach the high school trap shooting team, but it's just not the same.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I'm in for 40!
    Hi Honu, I've got two, and even with my hubbie holding one, its a job keeping them from tangling each other up.
    They love to criss-cross.... The tandem leash is probably better, but one's a sprinter LOL

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    "Coach, why are you running around the field while we do our warmup?"
    "Coach, are you sure that running these trails will help us win games?"

This is the first year since 2003 that I haven't been coaching soccer. It's been bittersweet getting out of it.

LOL It's by no accident that we dragged the team up a mountain last weekend and around a mountain lake this weekend, partly for team building but mostly we need to get their aerobic capacity and endurance up to par. Five or six are already there and then some. We'll largely get the others there in time.

After this year and next season with my youngest son's team I'll be bowing out too. I'll miss working with the kids but before then we are optimistic to get through to the provincial championships.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    I hit my August goal of 200 miles. However due to some personal issues I am not going to have as much availability. I will say 120 and hope for more.
  • rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in! I took a 5-year hiatus from running and just starting back up again. My goal of 35 seems so puny compared to y'all though. :*
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    I'm in again! I'm aiming to do 400km/250-ish miles this month. I'm running a 50 mile race on September 26th so as long as everything goes according to plan and I'm still feeling strong, I've got about 2 more 100km+ weeks ahead of me before I start tapering.