• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    megaiken92 wrote: »
    I eat dessert basically every day; it's just a matter of making sure you account for it in your diary. If I know I ~really~ want a treat in the evening I log it in the morning and work around it.

Also, I'm lactose intolerant and have recently found coconut milk ice cream. I can't remember what the nutrition is exactly but I know it's not very much, especially when paired with some fruit. Yum yum yum~

It's about the same as regular ice cream I believe

I guess you're right, I just looked and it's 120 for .5 cup. Not bad though!

Oh actually that is a little less than I thought. Do you use that cocobliss brand or whatever?

The one I've got is So Delicious brand and it's the vanilla bean flavour. I also bought an almond milk ice cream but haven't tried that yet; I think it was 130 calories for .5 cup.

Ah okay. I've been thinking about trying it. I have tried the almond milk ice cream. It's fine though not creamy. I ended up preferring my 100 calorie frozen yogurt.

The Coconut Bliss is a bit richer, and more calories. Tasty.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I had a brownie with vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate sea salt caramel sauce last night. 350 cals and I was still under for the day. So I had wine too. :)

Hey, I had a brownie with ice cream last night too! Twinsies!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    I eat dessert basically every day; it's just a matter of making sure you account for it in your diary. If I know I ~really~ want a treat in the evening I log it in the morning and work around it.

Also, I'm lactose intolerant and have recently found coconut milk ice cream. I can't remember what the nutrition is exactly but I know it's not very much, especially when paired with some fruit. Yum yum yum~

It's about the same as regular ice cream I believe

I guess you're right, I just looked and it's 120 for .5 cup. Not bad though!

Oh actually that is a little less than I thought. Do you use that cocobliss brand or whatever?

The one I've got is So Delicious brand and it's the vanilla bean flavour. I also bought an almond milk ice cream but haven't tried that yet; I think it was 130 calories for .5 cup.

Hmm, I've bought the chocolate from that brand and either misremembered the calories or that flavor was more. I liked it--will have to try the vanilla bean. The almond milk one had a weirder texture to me, although was worth trying.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Just add it to your daily calories. I have lost over 30 lbs. so far. :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

(sig line trimmed)

WOW!! You must be very disciplined during the day.

I suspect he is, but there are other factors which may be in play. High activity level and significant muscle density/low body fat percentage seriously "up the ante" when it comes to available calories.

Plus, how much ice cream? I just checked a handful of Ben & Jerry's flavors; average it out to 300 calories/ half cup. Sure, 300 calories is a quarter of my recommended allowance, but Ninerbuff probably has a wider margin. :)

And if I get in a decent amount of steps and make conscientious choices during the day, I can leave room for a 300 calorie dessert. I happen to like the individual cakes at Nothing Bundt Cakes; 1/2 of a "bundtlet" is on the order of 225 calories; that with a cup of coffee (with half and half) is <300 calories. Or I could have a half cup of Ben & Jerry's and be pretty happy about it.

You learn to "Make it work".

Ben & Jerry's is the most calorie dense ice cream out there. Check out other brands. Hood, Edy's, Friendly's, Breyers are mostly 160-180 calories for a half a cup. That's a big difference from 300 calories.

Or try B&J's froyo instead. I had a serving of Ben & Jerry's half baked froyo for 180 calories last night.

Give me full fat ice cream or keep it!

• jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    I know I'm late to the game here, but if it fits in your calories for the day you can eat it. If I'm low on calories and desperate for something sweet, I normally eat chocolate rice cakes or 1-2 frozen chocolate mint cookies. However, some days I save calories for bigger desserts.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

(sig line trimmed)

I suspect he is, but there are other factors which may be in play. High activity level and significant muscle density/low body fat percentage seriously "up the ante" when it comes to available calories.

Plus, how much ice cream? I just checked a handful of Ben & Jerry's flavors; average it out to 300 calories/ half cup. Sure, 300 calories is a quarter of my recommended allowance, but Ninerbuff probably has a wider margin. :)

And if I get in a decent amount of steps and make conscientious choices during the day, I can leave room for a 300 calorie dessert. I happen to like the individual cakes at Nothing Bundt Cakes; 1/2 of a "bundtlet" is on the order of 225 calories; that with a cup of coffee (with half and half) is <300 calories. Or I could have a half cup of Ben & Jerry's and be pretty happy about it.

Ben & Jerry's is the most calorie dense ice cream out there. Check out other brands. Hood, Edy's, Friendly's, Breyers are mostly 160-180 calories for a half a cup. That's a big difference from 300 calories.

Or try B&J's froyo instead. I had a serving of Ben & Jerry's half baked froyo for 180 calories last night.

I usually eat full fat ice cream (or gelato). But I like frozen yogurt too, and B&J's does a good froyo.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The thing I don't like about "low cal" options is by and large the u
    Machka9 wrote: »

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm allowed 2400 calories a day for maintenance WITHOUT exercise. And I exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

For those of us who aren't on maintenance ...

It can be more of a challenge to fit the little treats in.

Thank goodness for low-cal options, and I wish there were more low-cal options here in Australia. I'm sure I've seen low-cal cake and muffin mixes in Canada, but I cannot find them here (maybe I just imagined them in Canada). Nevertheless, I have found a couple low-cal yogurts I like, and today I picked up some low-cal jello which I'm looking forward to. A couple weeks ago, I also noticed that a certain brand of sorbet wasn't bad for calories. And of course, there's fruit.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got all the low-cal ice cream brands people keep mentioning.

Meanwhile tonight, I'm planning to slice up a banana and fresh pineapple, and top it with vanilla yogurt and whipped cream. :)

@Machka9 I'm Also in Aus. have you tried making your own yoghurt from scratch. Either Easiyo or Hansells brands often on special with the whole kit and kaboodle starter package for around $20 at either Coles/Woolies etc, then yo u can make your own after that from the sachets proved in the supermarkets.

The lower fat ones are great for the calories....full fat better protein and lower sugar ratios so go with which ever suits you the best ie Hansells full-fat greek yoghurt I had last night was 68 cals for 87 grams. You can flavour them up with whatever takes your fancy, either sweet of savoury in place of dressing, spreading on wraps, dips etc.

Hope this gives you a hand.

My hubby and I made our own yogurt in a crockpot then into the oven at 150 for 12 hours. It came out absolutely delicious. Creamy just like custard not too tart or sour which I love because I'm not a big fan of sour yogurts( YUCK!) but I also heard dairy isn't good for your system so I cut back. Dairy it said create an acidic state in your body that your body fights to return to homeostasis by drawing calcium from your bones to neutralize the acidity. So I cut back on eating our delicious yogurt.

This is absolutely not true.

Coming back into this late I know but well it's about dessert.....and well you know DESSERT people!!!!

Totally agree @mccindy72 the ideas about negative consequences of dairy are not reliable.... @ttfnweight have a look at sources of info. like Pubmed to relieve your concerns and for goodness sake don't deprive yourself of your delish homemade yoghurt.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I had the no sugar added so delicious coconut ice cream a while back, 400 calories for the pint.
  • HippySkoppy
    I had the no sugar added so delicious coconut ice cream a while back, 400 calories for the pint.

Oooh @melimonTAR can I get a shout out for the brand and I wonder if it's available in Aus.??

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

I haven't seen a 100 calorie per serving one. What is the brand? :)

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member

(sig line trimmed)

For me, Ben & Jerry's is a special treat. However, for the parameters of the discussion, Ninerbuff had specified that he ate Ben & Jerry's, so I used those stats. Of course, Ninerbuff also later observed that his baseline calorie goal (before exercise) is (if I recall correctly) 2400 calories - double mine!

For me, the occasional Haagen Dazs is super-indulgent, and Breyer's (at 140 calories:1/2 cup for strawberry, if I recall correctly) is fine for an "everyday" ice cream.
  • kshama2001

I haven't seen a 100 calorie per serving one. What is the brand? :)

"So Delicious" is a brand name :)
  • HippySkoppy
    @kshama2001 TY....I asked along with Rose :)
  • lemurcat12

(sig line trimmed)

I usually eat full fat ice cream (or gelato). But I like frozen yogurt too, and B&J's does a good froyo.

Agreed.

B&J isn't extra calorie dense because it's full fat, also -- it's the extra stuff in it. I like extra stuff sometimes, including in froyo form.
  • kshama2001

(sig line trimmed)

I've never had gelato but have been hearing about it here. Talenti is on sale at Stop & Shop this week so was going to take a look but I got hung up at Mom's and my fiance went instead. I kept it simple and just had him pick up meat. Other gelato brand recommendations?

6cec709b1a9016c6352662493b1a6298.png

• lemurcat12

(sig line trimmed)

For me, Ben & Jerry's is a special treat. However, for the parameters of the discussion, Ninerbuff had specified that he ate Ben & Jerry's, so I used those stats. Of course, Ninerbuff also later observed that his baseline calorie goal (before exercise) is (if I recall correctly) 2400 calories - double mine!

For me, the occasional Haagen Dazs is super-indulgent, and Breyer's (at 140 calories:1/2 cup for strawberry, if I recall correctly) is fine for an "everyday" ice cream.

B&J is more because of the add ins. A lot of the other differences is how whipped the ice cream is--basically how much fits in a half cup. Talenti is usually 200-220 calories, but for a serving size of 100 g. Breyers is 140, but for a serving size of 66 grams (just checked, I don't know that one by heart, although the Talenti I do just know from experience). ;-)
  • kshama2001
    Was just reading something about the whipping:

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/07/whats-the-difference-between-gelato-and-ice-cream.html

...Compared to today's American-style ice cream (that's one made with egg yolks, as is basically the new standard in home recipes and commercial products), gelato has less fat in the base and less air churned into it during the freezing process. American ice creams are heavy on the cream, and have a fat content, by American labeling law, of at least 10% (considerably higher in most homemade and many premium versions). Gelato, by comparison, uses more milk than cream, so it doesn't have nearly as much fat. Additionally, it usually—but not always—uses fewer (to the point of none) egg yolks, another source of fat in custard-based ice creams.

American-style ice creams are churned fast and hard to whip in plenty of air (called overrun), which is aided by the high proportion of cream in the base. The most high-end ice creams have an overrun of 25% or so, which means they've increased in volume by 25%; cheaper commercial versions can run from 50% to over 90%, which gives them a light, thin, fast-melting texture that isn't very flavorful (those bites are a quarter to a half air!). Gelato is churned at a much slower speed, which introduces less air into the base—think whipping cream by hand instead of with a stand mixer. That's why it tastes more dense than ice cream—it is.

And what about sugar? Well, sugar levels vary wildly in ice cream and gelato recipes, so there's less of a hard difference there.
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

(sig line trimmed)

B&J is more because of the add ins. A lot of the other differences is how whipped the ice cream is--basically how much fits in a half cup. Talenti is usually 200-220 calories, but for a serving size of 100 g. Breyers is 140, but for a serving size of 66 grams (just checked, I don't know that one by heart, although the Talenti I do just know from experience). ;-)

What Talenti flavors do you like?
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2015
    I like nut flavors in general (not just Talenti), so Southern Butter Pecan, Sicilian Pistachio, Hazelnut Chocolate Chip (although WF has a hazelnut gelato I like that is much lower cal), Belgian Milk Chocolate. There are many I haven't tried yet, though.