No, You Do Not Have to Drink 8 Glasses of Water a Day

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Yaaay. Now can we tackle the idea that when you think you're hungry you might actually be thirsty? Its my second most annoying diet myth. Or is it the strange idea that water that contains caffeine/bubbles/anything else suddenly stops counting as water? hmmmm....

That never works for me. It just makes me feel sloshy and hangry.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Lol yeah I always find it funny when people brag about how much water they drink too... good for you for forcing down water just do have to run to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I drink lots of coffee, cashew milk, flavoured sparkling waters (yes with artificial sweeteners) diet sodas and mio, sometimes tea. I'm lucky if I drink 2-3 glasses of water a day.I'm never bloated during the day, never dehydrated, no headaches, plenty of energy. #winning :joy:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Then again:
    ffcbb2f67039c3ec44b118fcb44d874a.jpg
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    Is it also a myth that drinking plenty of water helps prevent gallstones?

No, this is fact. Proper hydration also helps prevent kidney stone formation.

Indeed. But the point here is that proper hydration need not mean forcing yourself to drink more water. Proper hydration can be achieved through all beverages, not just water, and by water from foods.

As my Untappd profile can attest - I wholeheartedly agree.

One of the finest field surgeons I ever worked with was a professed "Urine Guy" and could diagnose most patients from nothing more than a urine sample.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Lol yeah I always find it funny when people brag about how much water they drink too... good for you for forcing down water just do have to run to the bathroom every 30 minutes. I drink lots of coffee, cashew milk, flavoured sparkling waters (yes with artificial sweeteners) diet sodas and mio, sometimes tea. I'm lucky if I drink 2-3 glasses of water a day.I'm never bloated during the day, never dehydrated, no headaches, plenty of energy. #winning :joy:

Congratulations. You're as hydrated as I am with my gallon of water. Of course, all I drink is water and I only drink when I'm thirsty, so I suppose it's not much of a "brag" as all your coffee, Mio, cashew milk, diet soda, tea, and water.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Yaaay. Now can we tackle the idea that when you think you're hungry you might actually be thirsty? Its my second most annoying diet myth. Or is it the strange idea that water that contains caffeine/bubbles/anything else suddenly stops counting as water? hmmmm....

My body can tell the difference between hungry and thirsty. When it gets water instead of food, it opens the gates straight to the bladder and makes sure the GOTTA PEE NOW alarm is at 11.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »

Congratulations. You're as hydrated as I am with my gallon of water. Of course, all I drink is water and I only drink when I'm thirsty, so I suppose it's not much of a "brag" as all your coffee, Mio, cashew milk, diet soda, tea, and water.

My point was that most people who brag about drinking so much water usually dont enjoy it, so they tell people how much they drink to justify it to themselves that what they are doing is necessary, when its really not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

My body can tell the difference between hungry and thirsty. When it gets water instead of food, it opens the gates straight to the bladder and makes sure the GOTTA PEE NOW alarm is at 11.

As someone said earlier in the thread, it appears that humans are the only creatures who can't tell the difference between hungry and thirsty. Makes me wonder if it is an actual thing, or just something that's been invented to justify the "If you're hungry, have a glass of water" idea.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    It usually takes about 8 glasses to get your urine to show you are not dehydrated.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    i drink about 2 liters a day

i feel like crap if i dont drink at least 1 liter a day though
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member

As someone said earlier in the thread, it appears that humans are the only creatures who can't tell the difference between hungry and thirsty. Makes me wonder if it is an actual thing, or just something that's been invented to justify the "If you're hungry, have a glass of water" idea.

This reeks of a First World Problem.
  • Alatariel75

Doesn't it just?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I do drink 2 quarts/day, mainly because it keeps me distracted. If we didn't have well water where I live, the water bill would be ridiculous from all the flushing (no, we do not let it mellow).
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

Doesn't it just?
    665fc936bb2327e861287b741d5790e3.jpg

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Yeah I go by urine colour.

I seem perfectly fine with my glass of milk, glass or two of water and 600ml bottle of coke. That might end up being 8 glasses, but I'm not forcing myself to drink any specific amount.

If I 4L like some people seem to insist I might as well set up my toilet with a computer and better wifi cause I would be constantly peeing.

Sure if your super active and sweaty then 8 glasses is maybe what you need but it seem like people try to apply the rules of fit active people onto sedentary people.

How much is a glass? I drink about 1900ml I think, including coke and milk, I don't really track it. Plus some food water I guess.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    starling01 wrote: »
    And I agree that MFP's water nag is dumb.

MFP nags you about drinking water? I've never seen this.

The app nags/praises about weird things. I prefer to log on the computer anyway, but when I noticed this it became another reason not to log on the app.

If you don't want to the App to recommend things, just go to the settings tab and turn it off. It isn't hard.

The app is vastly superior to the web interface due to the quick search feature alone.

I basically 99% use the app, I can't think of a single time mfp nagged me about water.

Did I turn it off in the beginning?
  • Alatariel75
    Merkavar wrote: »

The app nags/praises about weird things. I prefer to log on the computer anyway, but when I noticed this it became another reason not to log on the app.

If you don't want to the App to recommend things, just go to the settings tab and turn it off. It isn't hard.

The app is vastly superior to the web interface due to the quick search feature alone.

I basically 99% use the app, I can't think of a single time mfp nagged me about water.

I never log my water, and have never been nagged, and don't recall ever turning it off, either.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »

I never log my water, and have never been nagged, and don't recall ever turning it off, either.

I'm searching the app to find a water reminder, and it's not there, as far as I can tell. Are we talking about an actual push notification? Like, "ding ding! You haven't logged any water today!"?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    It always makes me sad when I see people come in the forums and ask how to force themselves to drink water or if they'll ever get used to peeing all the time. :disappointed:

So very much this. One of those threads is what finally prompted me to start this thread.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    I used to believe this myth but now I just drink to thirst. I even drink during meals *gasp*. Sometimes I just can't get enough water and other times I can't be bothered with it. I always check my pee color so I usually know if I need to drink more.