No, You Do Not Have to Drink 8 Glasses of Water a Day

Replies

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    I have read many places that say to drink HALF your body weight in OUNCES of water. So 8 glasses might not be ENOUGH! The pee test posted on the first page is a good indicator for 'have I had enough water?'.

I try to drink at least 8 glasses because half my weight in ounces is 75. Water is good for you and it's filling...win win.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I have never found water filling. When I'm hungry and drink water, it just emphasizes that I'm hungry.

I do use the water counter on the app, mainly because I like to track things.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Drinking water never helped me stave off hunger. Now, if I've got the munchies or feel the urge to snack out of habit, drinking something with flavor that I like can head it off. But if it's actual hunger, doesn't do a damn thing except quench thirst.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I get dehydrated easily so I drink lots of water. My personal preference. Everyone needs to do them.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I'm amazed how much liquid I have to drink to stay within the hydrated section of the color chart. I drank probably around 60oz of water before 7am (I was at the gym at 5). Got to work and I was a solid 2. Between 7 and 10:30 I had 4 8oz cups of coffee and 2 8oz cups of tea. Solidly a 4. It's a little ridiculous...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    When I go to the desert for work travel I pretty much drink a 20oz bottle every hour and still don't have to pee very often.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    okay, but I'm gonna still down my gallon+ casually through out the day. I need it. When I only have 8 glasses, I find myself incredibly thirsty. All this coming from someone who rarely had water to drink.

If it works for you awesome. If it doesn't hey ya don't need 8 glasses so you're doing okay.
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Go give birth to a kidney stone, and then tell me that you do not want to drink 10+ glasses a day.
  • dubird
    EzRemake wrote: »
    Go give birth to a kidney stone, and then tell me that you do not want to drink 10+ glasses a day.

Even at that there's only so much you can drink. If you're drinking enough that your pee is near colorless, drinking more won't make any more difference.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    The problem with that chart is that it is entirely dependent on how much water is in the toilet bowl before you go. Sources say that isn't representative or true either. Of course, if it's really dark and there was water in the bowl, you should still look into why.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    What if my urine is this color?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWEEWyIFxQNXhRN2B9i2tZdTiex1xjfm3RfPwQO5mC6l3ZOXeN

(Full disclosure - I'm 1/4 Martian)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I love water, it's my preferred drink. I did experiment during weight loss and found drinking loads of it (more than 8 glasses but no more than 12) didn't equate to losing more. (It takes eating at deficit to lose)
    But my skin looks better when I consistently drink plenty.

People can get too hung up on water intake.
    Drink it when your thirsty. Simple :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Our main bathroom has a yellow toilet. Help!

I am 5 when I get up, and 1-2 by mid day.

Never tracked my input.
    Coffee, water, tea, beer, wine, food, plenty of liquids in my day.

Cheers, h.
  • dubird
    It's weird, my pee was always dark. Even as a kid. When I drank extra soda or something and my pee was lighter, I always thought there was something wrong! It wasn't until I was in grad school that I found out my pee wasn't supposed to be that dark and it meant I was dehydrated. Apparently, I was at least partially dehydrated my entire life, I just never noticed it.
  • nordlead2005
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    The problem with that chart is that it is entirely dependent on how much water is in the toilet bowl before you go. Sources say that isn't representative or true either. Of course, if it's really dark and there was water in the bowl, you should still look into why.

you are supposed to look at the stream or collect it in a cup.
  • nordlead2005
    ceoverturf wrote: »

13-HHB-1407-The-Color-of-Pee-Infographic_FNL-finalnm.jpg

Obviously you received a rare genetic mutation due to your 1/4 martian lineage.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2015

Probably but this test is supposed to keep people in check on a daily basis... no one's going to pee in a cup multiple times everyday unless they have a very, very specific reason. And I don't know about you, my pee stream is in the shadows while I'm sitting on the can lol.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

13-HHB-1407-The-Color-of-Pee-Infographic_FNL-finalnm.jpg

Obviously you received a rare genetic mutation due to your 1/4 martian lineage.

Actually this chart is not 100% accurate. There is such thing as purple urine, but it is very rare and only happen to those who you catheters.
  • nordlead2005

Probably but this test is supposed to keep people in check on a daily basis... no one's going to pee in a cup multiple times everyday unless they have a very, very specific reason. And I don't know about you, my pee stream is in the shadows while I'm sitting on the can lol.

That isn't a problem of the chart though. Sue the test procedures for being sexist though :wink:
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    I dont think I've ever been able to down 8 glasses a day but I do try to at least drink enough water so my you-know-whatsit isnt dark yellow but light in colour, probably more than a litre a day.