Hey dude wanna buy a watch?

Oh the confusion of it all! I have been watch shopping for over three weeks. My heart keeps going to the Garmin 920 XT and as a triathlete I'd use all the features of s/b/r but I'm wondering if it's just too much metrics? I was thinking of a pish poshy divers watch to keep it real simple in the metrics department (just work off the rotating bezel) but have something that could be worn into a biz meeting with a suit and be something I can hand down when I'm 345 years old. I swim open water until October then it's the outdoor pool for lane swimming until April again. Love to hear from both digital (and could there be any dive watch analogue wearers out there?). Much obliged.

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    It really depends on what features you want. I'm a coach and a data junkie so yeah the 910/920 appeals to me. That said it's overkill. No one NEEDS all that functionality. If you want something that looks more professional and less sportsy maybe look at the Fenix models. They look more like "real" watches.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    It really depends on what features you want. I'm a coach and a data junkie so yeah the 910/920 appeals to me. That said it's overkill. No one NEEDS all that functionality. If you want something that looks more professional and less sportsy maybe look at the Fenix models. They look more like "real" watches.

I LOVE my 920 but I agree. Fenix has almost all the same things to offer an is a little sleeker looking.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Agree with previous posts... decide what functions you really need, which ones you want, and what would be overkill. Then decide on how much you are willing to pay for those needs/wants/overkill. That should give you a good idea of what's really in the running.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    no such thing as too many metrics. just metrics you're not using yet.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    For the average age grouper? Wrong. It's VERY easily to get bogged down in the minutia of this sport and lose track of the fact that: 1. This should be fun. 2. Consistency trumps any single workout. 3. This isn't our job. Hitting your NP or target HR or VI for a workout shouldn't become an obsession and for many triathletes it does.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    For the average age grouper? Wrong. It's VERY easily to get bogged down in the minutia of this sport and lose track of the fact that: 1. This should be fun. 2. Consistency trumps any single workout. 3. This isn't our job. Hitting your NP or target HR or VI for a workout shouldn't become an obsession and for many triathletes it does.

i agree with you. i was just being a little cheeky before. yes, this should be fun, and being consistent is more important than any single workout, and no this isn't our job.

but there is a difference between exercising and training. my training got a lot better when i started paying much closer attention to things like heart rate and cadence, and pace,. i'll eventually buy myself a power meter (because more gadgets!) and have a little bit more data to analyze.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I agree, being an engineer with OCD, analyzing data is part of the fun for me, and Capt_Apollo is right in that, if you want to improve, you have to look at everything.

Some mentioned the Fenix watches. If you google around, you'll see that the GPS in it sucks and the recorded distances are often pretty far off.

I have an older 310XT, but I'm a duathlete so I don't need the swim metrics. But I will probably upgrade to a 910XT anyways because I want the NP/IF/TSS metrics for cycling that the 310XT doesn't have. The other option is to get a Edge 500, but at this point, they're both almost identical in price.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I, too, agree with Capt_Apollo. My training greatly improved once I learned more about designing heart race based training schedules, and conforming to those would be difficult without a HRM. I have the 920xt and love it; its my first Garmin after using Polar for about 10 years. I love that I have everything I need all in one device. I don't love the way it looks. It's large and bright and not for everyday wear, which is a shame considering how much it costs. The Fenix watches are much better looking, and had the Fenix 3 been out when I bought my watch I might have chosen that instead.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    I use a FR620 for my running and a Edge 500 for the bike. dont really fancy having a multisport watch tbh although the Fenix looks lovely and i'm sorely tempted.

The issue with the sidtance thing is probably to do with it being set up wrong as it is designed as an ultra/hiking watch primarily so the GPS is normally set to take points at 30seconds IIRC so if you are doing twisty routes you can lose a fair bit of distance as it straight lines between points when mapping you.