Fat percentage?

2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Marilynrene, we know that neither is 100% accurate, but it probably is an indication that your bodyfat is high.

As ghartleroad1 said above, weight lifting/ resistance training is the direction you need to go.

You could pick any of the progressive weight lifting programmes that are talked about on this forum. Start easy and use hand weights when needed.

You could also do bodyweight exercises.

Either would do depending on your fitness level.

Cheers, h.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Thank you, I I'll try that. The Aria scale was quite expensive. It is quite annoying that it might not be accurate.

All methods (including calipers, dexa, dunk tank) suck for absolute repeatable numbers. But they are good for relative change. If your bf % is going down, great. Just try and measure under the same conditions (dry, morning, whatever). Don't worry if it's 20 or 25. Just lower than two weeks ago.

And BMI, as a screen, is perfectly accurate for saying "If you are normal or below, you are absolutely not fat. If you are over the normal line, you might or might not be - have a closer look". That's it.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Try one of these sites that do body fat % from your measurements.

healthstatus.com
    Calculator.net
    Linear-software.com

They are probably more acurate than your scale.
    Compare them anyway and average it out.
    I know my scale is wrong, but at least it tells me if my BF is moving up or down.

Cheers, h.

online calculators are useless. Get a bod pod or a hydrostatic test done. You can do once or twice a year.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    My trainer measured me with calipers snd came up with 29.5% body fat. I had a DEXA scan the next day and my reading was 28.5%. I was surprised at how accurate the calipers were. The woman who explained my Dexa results said that for pear shapes who are not obese this is not unusual, as the thing calipers really suck at is measuring visceral fat, but they are not too bad at meauring subcutaneous fat. If I'd known that I would have skipped the Dexa!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Going for a bod pod/Dexa Scan is not within everyone's means, budget or distance.
    It would cost me $ 75 for 1 test, and $200 plus 8-10 hr travel including a ferry.

Booking a whole day out of my life to spend $300 just to satisfy my curiosity is not an option for me.

Most people know that the other methods are not acurate but having a couple of different methods of measuring gives one an idea of where they are in the BF% scale.
    I was quite happy using the scale, tape measure, and on line calculators take me from 31%+ to a 23% average.
    To many the progress matters more than an exact number.

I would love a scan when I am rich.

Cheers, h.
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2015
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Those Aria scales are known to be super inaccurate. I wouldn't trust it at all. Sadly, you can get a better "guesstimate" by just comparing yourself to the photo below.

body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg

I'll take 30% please!!!!!

Great pic! Is there one for men?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Riff1970 wrote: »
    Yep.
    5lfy6l9d5yst.png
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Yep.
    5lfy6l9d5yst.png

Cool! Thanks.
  • marilynrene
    marilynrene Posts: 24 Member
    [quthank yote="ExRelaySprinter;33853948"]
    Yep.
    5lfy6l9d5yst.png
    Marilynrene, we know that neither is 100% accurate, but it probably is an indication that your bodyfat is high.

As ghartleroad1 said above, weight lifting/ resistance training is the direction you need to go.

You could pick any of the progressive weight lifting programmes that are talked about on this forum. Start easy and use hand weights when needed.

You could also do bodyweight exercises.

Either would do depending on your fitness level.
    Thank you middlehaitch. I do Zumba fitness core now,but I will add body bar exercises to that. I don't look obese, but 37% fat is obese .

Cheers, h.
    Yep.
    5lfy6l9d5yst.png

Cool! Thanks.
    Yep.
    5lfy6l9d5yst.png

Cool! Thanks.
  • marilynrene
    marilynrene Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you. I do Zumba fitness core now, but I will add body bar exercises as well . I don't look obese as I am down to a size 8. But I have no waist, so I guess that's where the 37% of fat is! I wonder if I could hoola hoop it away? Probably not.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    edited September 2015
    Same here. I was at 19.4 BMI with 27.5% body fat. All everyone keeps telling me is to focus on weightlifting (instead of cardio). I'm a few weeks into the New Rules regime.

I think I really need to start New Rules.

I used a machine in the gym two weeks ago. It said my body fat % was 20%. An online calculater has just told me 12.8% lol.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    _bellator_ wrote: »
    BMI is an outdated and not-very-useful tool, particularly for those of us who lift weights. Bodyfat scales are not very inaccurate. You'll be better off not getting too freaked out by either ot these numbers, and instead gauging your progress with a) progress photos and b) how your clothes fit.

BMI is a pretty accurate measure for 80-90% of the population As you mentioned not good for those that do resistance work but not many in the population do resistance work.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Those Aria scales are known to be super inaccurate. I wouldn't trust it at all. Sadly, you can get a better "guesstimate" by just comparing yourself to the photo below.

body-fat-percentage-women-abs-and-bossom.jpg

I'll take 30% please!!!!!

Test for men. Remove clothes, look down, if you can't see your junk without bending or using a mirror probably obese.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Going for a bod pod/Dexa Scan is not within everyone's means, budget or distance.
    It would cost me $ 75 for 1 test, and $200 plus 8-10 hr travel including a ferry.

Booking a whole day out of my life to spend $300 just to satisfy my curiosity is not an option for me.

Most people know that the other methods are not acurate but having a couple of different methods of measuring gives one an idea of where they are in the BF% scale.
    I was quite happy using the scale, tape measure, and on line calculators take me from 31%+ to a 23% average.
    To many the progress matters more than an exact number.

I would love a scan when I am rich.

Cheers, h.

My scan was $45. Without the travel costs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    gdyment wrote: »
    Thank you, I I'll try that. The Aria scale was quite expensive. It is quite annoying that it might not be accurate.

All methods (including calipers, dexa, dunk tank) suck for absolute repeatable numbers. But they are good for relative change. If your bf % is going down, great. Just try and measure under the same conditions (dry, morning, whatever). Don't worry if it's 20 or 25. Just lower than two weeks ago.

And BMI, as a screen, is perfectly accurate for saying "If you are normal or below, you are absolutely not fat. If you are over the normal line, you might or might not be - have a closer look". That's it.
    Uhhh wut? Dexa, bod pod, and dunk tank have a 2%+/- margin of error. That's as accurate as you're going to get without doing an autopsy.

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    FrenchMob wrote: »
    gdyment wrote: »

Uhhh wut? Dexa, bod pod, and dunk tank have a 2%+/- margin of error. That's as accurate as you're going to get without doing an autopsy.

Your hydration level alone can muck it up by 20-30%. A dunk requires a complete exhale which most people cannot do consistently (they always retain a variable amount of air in their lungs, which floats).

This study did Dexa scans over 3 days on a group and there was body fat variance 3-5% based on their carb/water load:

http://suppversity.blogspot.ca/2015/07/three-days-on-pasta-muffin-bread-diet.html

So if you can swing it by 5+ percent with just your glycogen stores and water.

I've also read of results of dudes having 5% variance on the same DAY on the same machine. Let alone introducing different machines with different calibrations.

Bottom line, there is no absolute way. Save your money, measure, and take pictures.