Can I burn off 1200 calories then eat a pizza?

Seriously. I'm going hiking all day tomorrow and I want to know if I can immediately eat as many calories as I burn. Alternatively, can I eat half a pizza and THEN burn it all off?

Is it linear like that?

And I plan to actually burn closer to 1800, but I can't eat that much pizza. ;)

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The whole pizza? I could maybe do three pieces. If I were you I'd fuel that hike with a little carb, a little protein before, and carry a little hikers mix with me.

Not that it will change how your body burns, but if your glycogen stores get used up mid-hike you are going to hit a wall.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It's not linear like that.
  • lyric12882
    lyric12882 Posts: 6 Member
    I don't know, but if you do let me know the outcome
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    jgnatca: Nah, 3 or 4 slices. I eat fine before my hike. I still have my normal 1200 calories. That's not my question.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    It's not linear like that.

Then how is it? Can you source your comment?

lyric: I sure will. ;p
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    As a very general rule of thumb, yes, you want to eat a lot of protein right after an extended calorie burn. Pizza isn't what I would pick, but do what works for you. The rule of thumb on MFP is eat eat back 1/2 to 2/3 the calories MFP (or another app/device) calculates you burned to allow for s margin of error.

As others have noted, weight changes, while simplistically reduced to "calories in:calories out" and "3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound" are not linear. You need to look at an aggregate 2-3 week view, at a minimum.

On the flip side, no one day is going to make or break your prospects for success.

If your general pattern is to be within your calorie goal, one day should make no difference in the long term.

In the short term, especially if you do eat a lot of pizza, carbs, sodium, and poor hydration all lead to water retention. I would not be surprised to see a weight spike immediately after (i.e., the next day) making those choices. Three to five days out with more typical intake/hydration/activity will probably give you a clearer picture.
  • USAMcK
    USAMcK Posts: 80 Member
    Emma, thanks for commenting. I knew all that already! Yay us! I guess I should have titled this a science question and not a "how do I lose weight?" question.

I never use the MFP burn. I average what my heart rate monitor spits out and the Brayden online calculator. Worked to help me lose 80 lbs. last time.

I keep a running average and a weekly average on my own spreadsheet.

One day absolutely does not make a difference, you're right. Especially when my weekly average is spot on. Though I try not to borrow calories from one day to the next.

I eat pizza like twice a year so I'm not worried about ill effects.

I definitely worded this wrong to be getting all these off-topic answers. MY BAD.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I say, "go for it"! And yay you! I love pizza and love walking, so I'm envious of the awesome day you'll be having.

Have a wonderful time!
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    I always eat back what I'm burning, otherwise I'll be starving and losing weight
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    um.sure. I would rather drink a bottle of wine, hell have both.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,792 Member
    edited September 2015
    USAMcK wrote: »
    Seriously. I'm going hiking all day tomorrow and I want to know if I can immediately eat as many calories as I burn. Alternatively, can I eat half a pizza and THEN burn it all off?

Is it linear like that?

Thanks for any help!

Yup! :)

I do that with cycling mainly ... go for a long ride (burns 100 cal for every 5 km) and then come home and have pizza or tacos or spaghetti or something else yummy. :) If it is a really long ride, I'll stop in the middle and have a cauliflower and cheese pie and a pastry at Banjos. :grin:

I've also done it with hiking. There are some good hikes around Tasmania, and 4 or 5 hours of hiking burns a decent number of calories.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I just ate a whole (small) pizza because I've had a pretty epic deficit the last 4 days. I'm feeling pretty damn good about it. It was a flippin' magnificent pizza.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member

Is it linear like that?

Thanks for any help!

I do it. When I exercise I eat back most of my calories, and sometimes all of them.

For me personally, exercise is a means to allow me to eat a little more and still lose some weight. I'll still work out when I'm more disciplined with my foods, but for now it really helps.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Is your question about what effect it will have on weight loss? The equation doesn't change because either pizza or hiking is involved. If you burn 1800 calories and eat 1200 over the same period, then you have a 600 calorie deficit. Except the ins and outs are balanced over a longer period of time than 1 day. Its a constant, ongoing, cyclical process. But we break it down into days usually to make it easier to manage. You could eat nothing for one day and then eat the extra 1200 calories the next day and have the same effect, weight wise (or eat the pizza and then fast for a day), but it would be a much less pleasant experience.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,792 Member
    robertw486 wrote: »

Is it linear like that?

Thanks for any help!

I do it. When I exercise I eat back most of my calories, and sometimes all of them.

For me personally, exercise is a means to allow me to eat a little more and still lose some weight. I'll still work out when I'm more disciplined with my foods, but for now it really helps.

Absolutely!! I couldn't have stuck with it for the past 6 months without the freedom and flexibility exercise gives me with my diet.

Funny thing ... we're not much in the way of social butterflies, but in the 6 weeks or so after signing on here last Feb, we had friends visiting from overseas, my birthday, and just a list of social stuff one weekend after the other. If it weren't for lots and lots of cycling and hiking and other exercise, I would have really been struggling.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    [/quote]

Absolutely!! I couldn't have stuck with it for the past 6 months without the freedom and flexibility exercise gives me with my diet.

Funny thing ... we're not much in the way of social butterflies, but in the 6 weeks or so after signing on here last Feb, we had friends visiting from overseas, my birthday, and just a list of social stuff one weekend after the other. If it weren't for lots and lots of cycling and hiking and other exercise, I would have really been struggling.

[/quote]

I'm similar. We are't super social, but when we do get together, we have fun and let loose.

I had a day we had friends over for a BBQ/funfest day. I ate almost 6000 calories that day! Not a typo!

But I did fine for the week and it didn't hurt me long term. :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    The answer is you should go for a hike and start eating pizza every week.

If you mean, if you hike will it burn off a pizza, or if eating a pizza can you then burn it off. The answer is no, but it is convenient to think of it that way. You're body will either burn 1200 calories from somewhere and then process an incoming 1200 calories, or it'll process and use/store 1200 calories and then burn probably a different 1200 calories from somewhere.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Sure you can! But why would you want to exercise only to eat? It's fine to indulge yourself once in a while. I do it too.. Quite often actually..but go easy on the pizza
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    When I compared my running app calories burned in eight miles to eating a Big Mac with fries and a soda, I never ate one again. So many food choices out there. I do have pizza but now its gluten free and two slices of 10" vs eating the entire thing.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Emma, thanks for commenting. I knew all that already! Yay us! I guess I should have titled this a science question and not a "how do I lose weight?" question.

I never use the MFP burn. I average what my heart rate monitor spits out and the Brayden online calculator. Worked to help me lose 80 lbs. last time.

I keep a running average and a weekly average on my own spreadsheet.

One day absolutely does not make a difference, you're right. Especially when my weekly average is spot on. Though I try not to borrow calories from one day to the next.

I eat pizza like twice a year so I'm not worried about ill effects.

I definitely worded this wrong to be getting all these off-topic answers. MY BAD.
    Perhaps the answer you were looking for is that its cyclical.

Maybe this is more like what you were wondering:

Your body runs on glucose (ok, duh, bear with me). When you eat food, its broken down into various chemicals, one of which is glucose. *(Note: your body can actually manufacture glucose from carbohydrates, protein or dietary fat, if necessary.) When there is lots of glucose in your bloodstream (your blood sugar), then its readily available for all your cells to nom up and use for energy. In a well-functioning body system, glucose that is not needed immediately to fuel metabolism is stored either as glycogen in your liver and muscles, or as fat in your fat cells. For a while after you eat, all the glucose you need is available from recently eaten food. You're using up that glucose from the recently eaten food AT THE SAME TIME that some of it is being stored as either fat or glycogen or both. (The body has a limited storage capacity for glycogen, but a unlimited, or at least really large, capacity to store fat. Unfortunately.) After a while your meal will have finished being processing in the body, and if you don't eat again, you will start to burn glycogen and/or body fat to get the glucose that you need. Over the course of a day, you will go in and out of this storage/burn cycle a number of times, assuming that you don't keep eating enough continuously all day and night to stop from ever pulling on the stored resources.

So, that is why it does not matter (for weight loss) if you eat then hike, or hike then eat. Its constant, cyclical, and ongoing.

Here are some links that might be interesting:

http://www.med.upenn.edu/biocbiop/faculty/vanderkooi/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/331651-burning-fat-vs-glycogen/
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell3.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/273899-do-fat-protein-turn-into-glucose/

Hope that was 1. fairly lucid, and 2. more in line with your thinking.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Nothing wrong with pizza.

The only thing is that hiking calories are often really inflated. I've seen people log 1500 calories burn for a 2 hour hike but unless you're climbing all the time, it's typically a lot of walking (and not that fast either as you have to watch your step all the time).. so maybe 200 calories an hour in average?

But in the end, as long as it fits your calories, it's totally fine.