Help! I need some self control

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I was wondering if you can help make some suggestions for overcoming my sweet tooth and continued evening snacking.

I have lots of self control before I eat my last meal about 5pm. I had soup with added chicken tonight, but after eating it I then had ice cream, and bread pudding and I eat until I'm over full.

After the occasion, I always think, "I should have made myself a hot drink, or meditated, but instead, I'm diving into the cupboards.

Have you got any suggestions for breaking my bad habit?

Many thanks x

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a sweet treat after dinner, or any time of the day.

OP, are you continually over-eating on your calories or binging with food?

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'm a big fan of not forcing myself to have to exert self-control too often. It's easier for me to simply keep that type of stuff out of the house as much as possible. If it's not there I can't eat it. If it is there, I try to get my adult son, with his much higher metabolism, to eat it first. LOL

Another trick I use is to pre-plan my evening snack. I always want a snack in the evening if I have time to sit and watch TV. Most evenings I'm doing homework or I'm out of the house, so it isn't always an issue, but if I know I'm going to be home, I pre-plan. I then measure out the serving size I have available in my calories and take it into the other room with me. When it's gone, it's gone; I don't get more than that.
  • vmetson
    vmetson Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Most nights I am over eating, but a few months ago it was a binge eating and I have gained so much weight. I want to gain control and lose my weight again. I just lose sight of my goals and just focus on eating out the cupboards.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    vmetson wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. Most nights I am over eating, but a few months ago it was a binge eating and I have gained so much weight. I want to gain control and lose my weight again. I just lose sight of my goals and just focus on eating out the cupboards.
    Then don't restock the cupboards with things you will binge on. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it, right? Focus on lower calorie treats, buy in small quantities and choose fruits and veggies over cookies and candies.
  • kandeelopez
    kandeelopez Posts: 61 Member
    edited September 2015
    Chew your food a lot before you swallow. I mean a lot! Eat much more slowly. Chew gum when the desire for sweets strikes you. When the desire to eat comes, drink water, decaf, or tea instead.

If you do eat sweets, get something expensive, very rich, and in a small amount. But as has been stated already, don't habitually keep it in your house.
  • turboscrub
    turboscrub Posts: 32 Member
    A friend of mine keeps her favourite treats tucked away in a cabinet that requires a step ladder to get to. If she wants to indulge herself, she has to work for it. She has to grab the step ladder from downstairs, drag it up stairs, then climb it. A lot of times, the inconvenience of having to do that conquers that urge and she opts for a healthier, easier option instead.
  • amoebamama
    amoebamama Posts: 5 Member
    Hi there
    Thanks for info
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    buy a food scale, weigh the treat before you eat it, so you know what your single serving should be. Then log it before you eat it. Now you're accountable for it. Then eat it slowly and savor it, and be done eating. Brush your teeth if you need to, so you know mentally you're done eating for the day.
    once you've seen what the serving is and know how many calories are in it, and have accountability for it, it will help you mentally. Seeing it in your log, in your calorie deficit will help too.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    here's what worked for me: get that junk food like bread pudding and ice cream out of the house!
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    I agree with not keeping it in the house. But if you must, then another option is keeping a healthier version of what you like. For instance, WW pre-packaged sweets or the ones Fiber One does.

Also, I'd concurrently keep a food journal. I love the one here on MFP. It tells you exactly how many calories you have left and it's pretty crazy how seriously you'll start to take that goal! It's great to have that visual right there.

Don't deprive yourself, just find a way to indulge without over-indulging. And don't beat yourself up for setbacks every now and again.