What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• chrisjonesy2k
    chrisjonesy2k Posts: 29 Member
    the annoying thing at the moment is people saying i am too thin,i am far from thin,or feel far from thin,and i still consider my self a work in progress.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    the annoying thing at the moment is people saying i am too thin,i am far from thin,or feel far from thin,and i still consider my self a work in progress.

I once told a friend I had about 50 more pounds to go and she looked me up and down and said "From where? You look fine to me." and she was serious! I don't think these people mean harm or to irritate,I think they just perceive what is thin and heavy differently. Also,some of us hide that extra weight well.(Mine is all in my stomach atm,hiding safely away in large shirts.)

• chrisjonesy2k
    chrisjonesy2k Posts: 29 Member
    Yoshirio wrote: »

I once told a friend I had about 50 more pounds to go and she looked me up and down and said "From where? You look fine to me." and she was serious! I don't think these people mean harm or to irritate,I think they just perceive what is thin and heavy differently. Also,some of us hide that extra weight well.(Mine is all in my stomach atm,hiding safely away in large shirts.)

at the moment i feel like a defelated version of the marshmallow man lol.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited September 2015
    That even though I've lost 12kgs (which to me is awesome) some of my old clothes still fit.
    I tried on my wedding dress from when I was at my heaviest (82kgs) and it still fit! Yet my favourite jeans fall off me.
    I'm starting to wonder if I was hugely in denial about what size I really was back then
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    After losing 30 lbs in 5 months... I have a hard time still seeing myself as the old me! I'm shocked by photos of me,,,it's weird
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    2ledbetter wrote: »
    Now that I've lost 90 pounds, with 80 still to go it's like having a double body. I feel the muscle and bone structure underneath the fat. I can grab fat and skin and feel where when I finish losing weight my body might be. My fat just seems to jiggle more now, but I can feel the muscle underneath. Does anyone else feel this?

Yes! I've lost about 100 (well, 110 then gained back 10) with about 40 to go and I can totally relate. My arms would be awesome without all of the loose skin. I am planning to have the skin removed when I lose the rest. I've worked too hard for this to not see it.
  • Lacey0903
    Lacey0903 Posts: 40 Member
    I have found myself down playing my fitness level to overweight/unfit folks so they won't feel bad about themselves. I didn't realize I was doing it until today. Must be the "Minnesota Nice" in me. I don't want to make people more uncomfortable about something when they are obviously insecure about it already.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    That I would become somewhat (a lot) judgemental about others food choices. I'm so sorry!!! I just want to help (i don't say anything out loud) But when the lady at work is cramming a 1000+ calorie meal in her piehole (yes I looked it up on mfp) and complaining about HOW SHE CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE WEIGHT it's so hard to not say then put that down.
    I want to lead everyone to MFP but it's the horse to water thing right?!

I have a similar situation, and feel bad I can't help. I try to mention how good I feel when the opportunity arises (organically to the conversation).

Unfortunately, he values his comfort/taste sensation more than his health. So I try to remember they're his choices (ones I made not too long ago), and when he mentions needing to lose weight I ask him if he needs any help, and tell him the biggest thing for me has been MFP.

But I wish I could show him how easy it is.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    You will be hungry pretty much all the time unless you have a cheat day.

Everyone says you will get used to it or if you eat different types of foods (more protein, more "whole" foods, more fiber, etc.), you will feel satiated. They are lying. It will be a constant struggle to decide whether you want to feel hungry for the rest of your life or whether you will be fat for the rest of your life. I'm approaching nearly 2 years, and I'm just over 50% to my goal. It hasn't gotten any easier with time nor with different types of foods. There have been times I stuck with it only because I didn't want to leave my MFP friends.

This might be true for you but it is not true for everyone. Some days are like this for me, however most are not.

I think it's kind of harsh to say "they are lying" because I think there's a lot of people who don't feel hungry all the time. Sadly I'm not one of them. I do agree though that it's annoying that people on MFP tend to jump to the conclusion that if we'd change what we eat we'd miraculously stop being hungry just because that's what happened to them. I suspect that for me part of the issue is that I ate healthily even when I was fat. Soda (apart from diet coke which I've ditched), junk food, processed food were never particularly on the menu so I wasn't able to benefit by cutting them out. I ate too much plain and simple. To lose weight I have to severely restrict the quantities I can eat. There's no way around that.

I constantly look at the portions other people eat and am amazed by how small they are... I just wish my body would be satisfied with that.

They are, in fact, lying when they tell me that I will not be hungry if I eat a certain thing. If they said "some people," that would be different than "you will not be hungry if..."
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    ScrAgnX wrote: »
    That I would become somewhat (a lot) judgemental about others food choices. I'm so sorry!!! I just want to help (i don't say anything out loud) But when the lady at work is cramming a 1000+ calorie meal in her piehole (yes I looked it up on mfp) and complaining about HOW SHE CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE WEIGHT it's so hard to not say then put that down.

I have a similar situation, and feel bad I can't help. I try to mention how good I feel when the opportunity arises (organically to the conversation).

Unfortunately, he values his comfort/taste sensation more than his health. So I try to remember they're his choices (ones I made not too long ago), and when he mentions needing to lose weight I ask him if he needs any help, and tell him the biggest thing for me has been MFP.

But I wish I could show him how easy it is.

Totally agree! Being judgmental yet not being allowed to help could be really painful... Especially when you know what the better ways are to lose that midsection (or wherever) than just complaining. I wish I could meet someone like the current me when I just started so I didn't have to fall into the loop of failure so many times.

I used to think exercising as a very painful thing and was avoiding it throughout my teenage years. It was 12 years ago when I realized how much good exercise plan and nutrition control can help, so it really kills me inside when someone I know told me that he/she "doesn't want to (or can't) exercise" to lose weight because of some non-medically related excuses (most common one: I don't want to lose my boobs).

(Sigh)... I'll pray for them...
  • piperjosie
    piperjosie Posts: 40 Member
    crzyone wrote: »
    Thank you all for your words. I can't wait to enjoy and suffer through some of the things you are mentioning here!!!

• Wsrivas19
    Wsrivas19 Posts: 8 Member
    I love this post hopefully soon I will have something to share, thank you everyone!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Some fab posts.

. . . . . about the extra energy, how 'big hills' will disappear (were they really big hills or gentle slopes which I struggled to cart the extra 49lbs up??), how big hotel bath towels will become (as you become able to wrap them round yourself!), how devastated you will feel when an Achilles injury stops you running, how proud you'll feel when you buy a cycle helmet - for yourself!! . . . . .
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member

Omfg yes! Me too
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    love this thread
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!