Has anyone done p90x?

I am considering doing p90x and am curious if anyone here has done it. If so, thoughts/opinions?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    It's awesome. Lots of fun.

I did it in the past and was able to do pull-ups in just 2 months, and had to go out and buy heavier dumb bells (25 and 30 lbs). I could see new, visible muscle definition in my arms within 2 months, and this is from a middle aged mom.

I like having different videos to watch too. Things don't get boring as fast.

The only thing I didn't like was YogaX. 90 minutes is too long, and it was too advanced for me. It took me a few months before I could enjoy it.

Check out Coach Wayne Wyatt's TeamRipped for motivational videos and ideas on how to play around with it (mix it with Insanity, etc).
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    My husband & I did it together last spring. We lost a combined 66 pounds & I could finally start the lawnmower all by myself. Woohoo!

It works, but it gets old fast & becomes super boring.

2pyhy716c5vf.jpg
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    My husband & I did it together last spring. We lost a combined 66 pounds & I could finally start the lawnmower all by myself. Woohoo!

It works, but it gets old fast & becomes super boring.

2pyhy716c5vf.jpg

Dang, nice loss!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    I've done P90x3 and that was fun (not a huge Tony Horton fan in general). It's only 30 minutes, though, so I usually ended up doing some additional cardio since I need the endorphins and the x3 is mostly strength. I did see some nice gains in strength, though.
  • theycallmearth
    theycallmearth Posts: 196 Member
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    My superfit husband had been using it for years as part of his fitness routine (cycling, weights at a commercial gym and home workouts). He loves it. As mentioned above, it seems to get boring, but if you still come back to the DVDs from time to time, it's a good investment.
  • kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    My husband has done it many times and has lost over 60 lbs :) I highly recommend
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I have tried it twice but have not managed to get past week 6 or 7! All my biddies except 1 did not finish and there were 20 altogether. It is great tho I liked it and I saw great changes in my body. One day I want to complete:)
  • theycallmearth
    theycallmearth Posts: 196 Member
    Follow-up question: what sort of physical conditioning do I need to have to start p90x?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    It's awesome. Lots of fun.

I did it in the past and was able to do pull-ups in just 2 months, and had to go out and buy heavier dumb bells (25 and 30 lbs). I could see new, visible muscle definition in my arms within 2 months, and this is from a middle aged mom.

I like having different videos to watch too. Things don't get boring as fast.

The only thing I didn't like was YogaX. 90 minutes is too long, and it was too advanced for me. It took me a few months before I could enjoy it.

Check out Coach Wayne Wyatt's TeamRipped for motivational videos and ideas on how to play around with it (mix it with Insanity, etc).

Ya, anyone who thinks yoga doesn't burn calories should try YogaX. Actually, I take that back. Not for beginners.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Yep, and I quit every time (I think my wife wanted to try 2 or 3 times, can't remember).

Here are my problems with it.

1) I'm always told it is 60 minutes, and it isn't, it is typically 1.5 hours.
    2) You have to train 6-7 times per week, I don't have 1.5 hours free every day for 90 days straight.
    3) It is too intense, I can't keep up with the program, it is not fun. I'd much rather have something tailored to my level. If I already had good strength and endurance and wanted to push it to the next level maybe I'd do it for fun.

I mean, I lost almost 20lb and went from 0 to 2 pull ups in 2 months. All without doing p90x or a single pull up. I also had fun playing Ultimate once per week and lifting 3x per week. Ultimately I spent closer to 5hr/week and I am much stronger and can run further without having to spend 9-10 hours/week exercising or eating every 2 hours.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Follow-up question: what sort of physical conditioning do I need to have to start p90x?

Most people who have a bit of fitness can do it. You can modify most moves and then change them to advanced as you go along... except yogaX, some of that is way beyond a beginner.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    I am considering doing p90x and am curious if anyone here has done it. If so, thoughts/opinions?

I have done it and was going to go back to it but ended up going a different route right now as I am training for a marathon workout. Most of the workouts are an hour. Yoga is a hour and a half and the ab workout adds on 15 minutes on the days you have it. There are calendars for it that tell you what day to do what so that it is easy to follow and plan. Your fitness level unless just completely gone is not a worry you can modify and they do tell you how to modify. I loved it though.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Her is someone that did. Your results may vary

Marge_Simpson_As_A_FBB_by_GWHH.jpg