Water Fasting and Keto Recipe

DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
edited September 2015 in Social Groups
If you are viewing this, it because you were interested in my water fasting program.

As I said, I will give you some principles and you will have to decide whether you want to try this as an experiment to break your stall and/or "unintentional maintenance", or achieve faster weight loss.

I outline this as a "recipe". As I said before, this is a recipe for the success I have had. And like a recipe, it needs to be followed by using the correct ingredients. Substitution of most of the ingredients ~ will probably NOT work. I also thought that, like a recipe, there is the second part, that is the "directions". This is a VERY important feature to what I am proposing.

Lets say you were going to bake a cake. You gathered up, milk, eggs, flour, sugar, chocolate. Lets say you decide to mix the eggs and milk and bake them first. Then pour the flour and chocolate on top and bake that, then pull it out and pour the sugar on top. WHat are the chances that this will be a tasty cake, probably not.

So is my recipe. I have specific timings that can't be changed ~ or it will be a messy baked egg mess.

My question to you would be, "Can you follow my recipe, not only the ingredients, but the specific order?"

In other words, I want you to suspend the current way you exercise, eat & fast. I have a specific order, size, types of food, etc, that if not followed, will not have the smallest chance of reproducing the recipe I have come up with. We want the best chance of following my recipe, and see if it works for you as it has worked for me.

After you try it like my recipe FIRST, and maybe for a couple weeks, if it doesn't work, you and I can evaluate any shortfalls and/or try something else.

If this makes sense, please say so now by replying to this message.

I hope this helps,
Dan the Man from Michigan
Keto / Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
103 pounds down, 21 to go.

Replies

• britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Makes sense. As long as the materials are easily available at a podunk hillbilly market or using the the homegrown/raised items i have, it shouldn't be a problemo.
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    Ok, lets talk about the basics. The below are the bare minimums for success.

If you disagree or can't follow any of the below, you should gracefully exit the program now:

1) You need to be Ketogenic, that is Keto adapted. You should be, "faithfully" eating less than 40 grams of carbs per day. If you aren't Keto, start now. Keto is a major ingredient that CANNOT be substituted with "Low Carb" (0-100 grams carb a day). It has to do with the water fasting. It IS VERY DIFFICULT to fast if you aren't KETO.
    2) Exercise: You will do some exercise, that is intense and you will only do it on ONE specific day of the week (Saturday). Note, I didn't say you had to exercise FOR a day. I said "on one specific day". For those that are injured, sedentary, or otherwise can't exercise YOU MAY SKIP doing the exercise. But your loss may not be as great.
    For the exercise gurus ~ YOU MUST SUSPEND your current regime! I will give details when we get to the recipe.
    3) You will weigh yourself daily (to see how it works). Maybe log or report to the group.
    4) You will faithfully log your food during the pendency of the diet... no "casual dieters" allowed, this is a controlled experiment, and if it fails, we need to look into the specific, in order to adjust correct and short comings or oversights.
    5) You will be asked to "water fast" for a minimum of 30 hrs, and preferred amount of 36 hours. For example, I start my fast on Wednesday evening, my last meal is from 6:00pm to 11:00 pm. On Thursday I don't eat, its a Water fast. That means, you cannot eat and caloric ANYTHING. No "nibbling". Not even lettuce, pickles, nothing but:
    Water, or Tea. NO artificially sweetened anything! Then I "break" my fast on Friday. It could be at breakfast time or as late as Dinner time. I usually go out to eat at lunch. You should eat vitamins, salt & potassium.
    6) I must have feedback from you, especially if you can't finish, or at least if you do OR don't lose weight, I want to know. If you have a private diary, then you still have to inform me what's going on.

The ABOVE is not the recipe! Its a filter. if the above scares you away, that's the whole intention of why I wrote it!

For those that have never fasted that long, please note: Your brain is lying to you, its not that bad. Its NOT that hard. I'd rather fast ANYDAY ~ instead of brutal exercising! But that's just me.

Its ok to fall out of the test due to a plethora of reasons. You can try again the next week or next.

OK?

• britzen
    Copy.

1)- Check
    2.) I could arrange my homesteading regimen to reserve intense activity once a week (usually chopping wood)
    3.) Check
    4.) Check- already do faithfully.
    5.) Check, I've fasted before (seasonally)
    6.) Check
  • DittoDan
    On the foods you can eat, I have no restrictions, as long as they:

1) Under 40 grams carbs per day
    2) You meet your "deficit" calorie goals (in other words, this isn't an "all-you-can-eat" regimen.)
    3) Normal Keto eating, if it fits your LCHF macros.
    4) Limit artificial sweeteners (AS) to 1 packet a day. I think sugar free jello is too much AS.

That's all I can think of.

• britzen
    Copy. All those criteria are already met.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Question - are you a coffee drinker? The only initial reservation I have about giving this a try is dealing with the coffee withdrawal for 30 hrs.
  • nicintime
    edited September 2015
    The rest I already do, (i've been 20 total carbs or less since June 1 and have been losing about 2 lbs per week on average ) except that I have not been exercising other than walking a mile or two very occasionally while knees recover. Oh, and I weigh weekly, but it wouldn't be a problem to do it more frequently during your experiment.
  • DittoDan
    nicintime wrote: »
    Question - are you a coffee drinker? The only initial reservation I have about giving this a try is dealing with the coffee withdrawal for 30 hrs.

No, but I can't possibly see why coffee could be a problem. Its a stimulant and a diuretic, right? That's a good thing...
  • nicintime
    DittoDan wrote: »

No, but I can't possibly see why coffee could be a problem. Its a stimulant and a diuretic, right? That's a good thing...

Perfect. And yes to your question.

I would just drink it black on fasting days. I normally use HWC with my cofee, but other than an occasional diet soda I don't use any artificial sweeteners.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan wrote: »

Perfect. And yes to your question.

I would just drink it black on fasting days. I normally use HWC with my cofee, but other than an occasional diet soda I don't use any artificial sweeteners.

Sounds good Nic.
  • DittoDan
    On the water:
    Water amount will be 8-10 cups per day on non fasting days
    Water on fasting days will be slightly higher, 10 - 12 @ day (but there's a timing issue with this, wait until I give recipe) :)

Dan
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    there is no way I can do this. I have to eat, fasting on only water would totally screw with my ability to function. Thanks for the information, though.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    I can do all the requirements except the exercise on Saturday - I do tend to do my housework on Saturday which is usually 2-3 hours of light cleaning, probably not intense enough for your requirements. I could try to start C25K with my daughter as we are keen to do that. However, I usually go to Zumba on a Thursday but I could change that though as had been thinking about using Thursday as my fasting day. Would that work?

Re AS - do you mean completely abstain from AS all week, or just while water fasting? I usually have about 500ml diet coke a day, but could try to give this up (have tried before but haven't been able to let this go - giving up alcohol is much easier for some reason).

Thanks for the info - would need to see the rest of the recipe before committing totally.
  • havingfunnow
    havingfunnow Posts: 18 Member
    I am excited to get started. I have been in a stall....like, forever. Thanks for sharing, Ditto Dan :)
  • DittoDan
    edited September 2015
    I can do all the requirements except the exercise on Saturday - I do tend to do my housework on Saturday which is usually 2-3 hours of light cleaning, probably not intense enough for your requirements. I could try to start C25K with my daughter as we are keen to do that. However, I usually go to Zumba on a Thursday but I could change that though as had been thinking about using Thursday as my fasting day. Would that work?

Re AS - do you mean completely abstain from AS all week, or just while water fasting? I usually have about 500ml diet coke a day, but could try to give this up (have tried before but haven't been able to let this go - giving up alcohol is much easier for some reason).

Thanks for the info - would need to see the rest of the recipe before committing totally.

Exercise only enhances the weight loss. I had to add it, because if I said to suspend it altogether, I'd have another set of people balk at that. So, no you don't have to exercise, BUT, if you do exercise, it has to be on a certain day. AND that certain day is in relation to the fasting day. So, NO, you can't do the fasting day and the exercising day on the same day.

I do it on Saturday, because that's the easiest day for me. But, when I outline the recipe, I will make it like this:

Day 1 (do such and such) no exercise
    Day 2 (do such and such) no exercise
    Day 3 (do such and such) no exercise
    Day 4 (do such and such) Fast
    Day 5 (do such and such) Break Fast
    Day 6 (do such and such) Exercise
    Day 7 (do such and such) no exercise

For me, day 4 is Thursday
    For me, day 5 is Friday
    For me, day 6 is Saturday.

With the above said, people could adjust their schedule so that the order is as above. So, if your unmovable exercise day is Thursday, then your fasting MUST be Tuesday (remember the order of making the cake?)

On the artificial sweeteners. I used to eat quite a bit of them through AS breath mints. I would eat them all day. Pop one or two every hour. I noticed that it seemed like I craved food in general more and it made it harder for me to "stay good" on my caloric intake. AND, if I ate a lot of AS on the day of fasting, then I had a very difficult time with the "hunger" during the fast. So, that's why I don't eat them so much now. So, I think I would be remiss to state everyone can eat a lot of them ~ therefore, they have a "bad experience" with my "Recipe" then they fail on it, or report they couldn't last 30 hrs because the cravings were so intense, OR they couldn't "be good" after the fast, and ate too much, failure again. So part of my successful recipe, is limiting the AS to zero or one packet @ day for all the above reasons.

These small things are the difference between a good tasting cake recipe or not. Its like you asking me if we can put just half a teaspoon of salt in our chocolate cake. "Hmmmm", I would say, yeah, you might could do that, but, you might not like the taste of it. I'm more comfortable with the recipe as it is, and not modify it. Then after you try it my way, THEN, add your substitutions, additions, deletions and see how it goes for you.

I tell ya what, if you want to be the guinea pig for this experiment, go ahead and try AS as much as you want. BUT, if the above happens, don't blame it on me, you are so warned.

Dan
  • DittoDan
    nannersp61 wrote: »
    there is no way I can do this. I have to eat, fasting on only water would totally screw with my ability to function. Thanks for the information, though.

Hi Nanner,

I looked at your diary. You had 393 grams of carbs the other day, and 200+ the day before. I am not sure how you found me and made me your friend, because I am a Keto (Low carb) guy. If you adapted a low carb lifestyle, you wouldn't have the hunger pains. It would be like you say, "totally screw with your ability to function". But as most ketoers know, going many hours without eating is VERY routine. Why? because the heavy carb eating is what's making your hunger so intense.

I would invite you NOT to try my Fasting "recipe", but try being Keto/low carb. Start out by eating less than 100 grams per day carbs, then work downwards.

Here are some links for you:

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric Surgery! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Previous Discussions on the LCD & Keto Groups
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Sub Groups Blog
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet Updated
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto Updated
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

I hope this helps,

Dan
  • britzen
    Good question on the coffee. I can stick with tea no problemo, but I do enjoy a STRONG cup of Finlander coffee once a day.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Question about exercise: You say intense exercise one day only, two days after fasting. How about less intense exercise? Like stretching, resistance bands, walking... activities that don't necessarily break a sweat?
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    OK i am up for the challenge.

1) DONE
    2) I can handle it - sunday instead of saturday
    3) OK
    4) Will restart logging today. Stopped a few months ago.
    5) OK currently 16 hours into a fast (was doing IF) will just ride this one to 36. gets me to tomorrow 11 am.
    6) OK. I have been stable at about the same weight for months. ready to lose the last 10lbs.

• azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    I made it! I am in. my exercise might not be as strenuous as most of you, but I have my spinal surgery post op on Friday and I will find out what I am allowed to do for exercise. I hope that is ok. I am very excited to do this. Thank you!