DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    jokoh92 wrote: »
    I didn't watch the video but from reading previous comments, I can only imagine the stuff she said and although it probably would bother me a bit, for me, fat shaming motivates me to keep going.

I have been bullied all my life so one more bully is not going to hurt one bit. And you know what they say about bullies. More than likely she has an eating disorder or body image disorder and is deflecting her insecurities onto "Fat People".

Every healthy and fit person I know personally does not have time to think about obese people and rarely comment on them when they do see them. Why? Because they're in a place of total security and are happy with themselves for the most part. Sometimes they might comment and say that's sad (if its a really obese person that is) but for the most part, it really isn't a concern because its not their problem.

Honestly I feel like if you can't stand looking at obese people then look away. Pointing out how fat a person is, is not going to cure anything. The only reason it bothers you so much is because you're not happy with yourself. I've never heard of a happy and content person who has everything going right in their life to point out someone who doesn't.

Even though what she is saying probably has a lot of truth in it, its still only an opinion and an opinion is not fact. Those like me, who struggle with their weight don't need to take it personally to heart because like I said before its more than likely coming from a place of insecurity. Keep going no matter what. Don't let a person drag you down along with them because its hard to climb your way out of it when you realize their just as unhealthy if not more so.

+1.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    jokoh92 wrote: »
    More than likely she has an eating disorder or body image disorder and is deflecting her insecurities onto "Fat People".

My sentiments exactly.

• jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    She's a comedian and she made me laugh.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

She is just as absurd as the woman in the opener, if not more. I don't agree with what either of these women promotes. One is hateful, highly prejudice, idiotic, and a complete attention *kitten*. The other is in complete denial and absolutely believes that there is nothing she can do about being 300+ lbs. obese. It is clearly is affecting her confidence and her excuses don't help anyone.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    I'm considered obese and I think she's hilarious. If people don't like her, don't watch her videos.
  • chelciebrown07
    chelciebrown07 Posts: 255 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's some brain floss to purge that all out.

http://youtu.be/c3e2hoLV-j8

DFTBA is amazing and that was the perfect video for this thread. The world seems to be in a weird neverending cycle of hate and outrage lately.

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

I love Whitney's response! She is such a sweetheart.

Her response is dumb. SHe's acting like it's hard so hard to not be morbidly obese, put down your starbucks, stop making youtube videos and you'd be 1\2 way there.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited September 2015
    brdnw wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

I love Whitney's response! She is such a sweetheart.

Her response is dumb. SHe's acting like it's hard so hard to not be morbidly obese, put down your starbucks, stop making youtube videos and you'd be 1\2 way there.

It IS hard bud...that's why a lot of us are here... but probably hardest is whatever thing clicks in your head to decide 'it's time.' Sadly that moment too often comes from a health crisis.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    I just take the video for what it is, an attempt to draw a laugh, just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRQvK2-iqQ

Except this one is actually funny and that one is trying too hard, and the whole thing is getting more attention than it deserves. The world is being taken over by this culture of offense which really thrives on "controversy" and attempts to fish for it even in the most benign things.

Someone's put their foot in their mouth for the sake of popularity. So what? Why do we feel the need to over-analyze this, pass judgement, and run around (hopefully at a reasonable enough pace) in angry virtual protests? Have a thicker skin. "Fat people", even those who are actually being bullied, don't care about a random chick on the internet making an attempt at comedy. I can assure you no one who doesn't know her personally is going to lose actual sleep over it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I think she is 100% right. And I'm a fat person.

Maybe that is why nobody on this forum likes me...lol

No, people don't like you because you lack substance.

C'mon ... there was no need to say that. Debate the video, debate the response video, argue over the issue of obesity and its impact on health care, but don't just plain insult someone. Dislike someone's opinions, but maintain a sense of human decency and respect for other people while we toss ideas around.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited September 2015
    elphie754 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    hac125 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

And you're a nurse?....perhaps you're in the wrong field.
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

I've also worked in front line health care. Occasionally having the thought cross your mind that yes, your patients have dug/are digging their own graves is a bit different than the sentiment of
    "I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences. "

I don't have to have sympathy to take good care of people.

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!
    When I was in nursing school, it was drilled into our head that we are the patient advocate. I don't care about the doctors, family, whatever, my voice is for the patient. I'm not sure what department you work in but I risk injuring myself everytime I work. Running down the stairs, avoiding getting hit by angry, under medicated mentally ill people, someone elses blood on my arms, hair and yes in my eye once. I've been bit, kicked, pucked on, peed on and called every name in the book.

I'm sorry you feel that you are not worth taking care of. My hospital does not tolerate staff abuse by patients. Sure, every job has its risks. If you truly feel your patients are under medicated you should be advocating for them to be on proper dosages and switch their meds if necessary- not sitting around letting them hit you.

Advocating for your patient does not mean you can't take care of your own health. It doesn't mean you can't get 4 people to help you lift and turn. It doesn't mean you have to accept their decision. We also get drunk drivers on our unit a lot- I definitely don't have sympathy for them and I'm sure most wouldn't. It doesn't mean I don't care of them. I don't have to agree with someone's lifestyle to be a good nurse or to advocate for their care.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member

Wow, just wow.

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!

You appear to strongly dislike parts of your work and if it's so dangerous I don't understand why you keep at it. You're unhappy and it sounds like any obese patients you come into contact with would be too. Maybe you should move into a different area of medicine.

My job can be dangerous and I take precautions to keep myself safe which apparently is very upsetting to the mfp community lol. I love my job and I definitely am not unhappy- is stating facts something that makes you think I'm unhappy? Obesity does complicate taking care of patients on every level and with overweight and obese people being the large majority of our population, it doesn't matter what I do it's my responsibility as a nurse to know how that affects their care and how to safely manage them. Sorry that offends everyone lol and yes it's still a pain to find 5 free people to hell you turn, it never won't be a pain.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I think she is 100% right. And I'm a fat person.

Maybe that is why nobody on this forum likes me...lol

No, people don't like you because you lack substance.

C'mon ... there was no need to say that. Debate the video, debate the response video, argue over the issue of obesity and its impact on health care, but don't just plain insult someone. Dislike someone's opinions, but maintain a sense of human decency and respect for other people while we toss ideas around.

Well said!

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Wow, just wow.

You appear to strongly dislike parts of your work and if it's so dangerous I don't understand why you keep at it. You're unhappy and it sounds like any obese patients you come into contact with would be too. Maybe you should move into a different area of medicine.

My job can be dangerous and I take precautions to keep myself safe which apparently is very upsetting to the mfp community lol. I love my job and I definitely am not unhappy- is stating facts something that makes you think I'm unhappy? Obesity does complicate taking care of patients on every level and with overweight and obese people being the large majority of our population, it doesn't matter what I do it's my responsibility as a nurse to know how that affects their care and how to safely manage them. Sorry that offends everyone lol and yes it's still a pain to find 5 free people to hell you turn, it never won't be a pain.

Geez you're chatting with like two people who don't like your attitude towards your morbidly obese patients. Where's this "everyone" coming from?
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    I just don't understand why people feel the need to make videos like that - or wait - maybe it is for 2 million views...which the stupid video now has.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    The sad thing is she probably did this for attention, and guess what? It worked! She's got a ton of views. I'm not even going to go into my opinion on the video.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited September 2015

Wow, just wow.

The first thing I recently learned in my first aid training is that the number one rule is to "secure the situation for your own safety before helping someone else". You can't help anyone if you get hurt. Simple.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    1) quit paying attention to her. Posting this video, clicking on this video, and discussing this video is THE POINT of this video. If you don't want to support the creator, don't engage with it....

2) Most of us are here because we realize that it is our bad choices that brought us to an unhealthy position. She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    wonko221 wrote: »
    1) quit paying attention to her. Posting this video, clicking on this video, and discussing this video is THE POINT of this video. If you don't want to support the creator, don't engage with it....

2) Most of us are here because we realize that it is our bad choices that brought us to an unhealthy position. She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?

I don't think she was necessarily wrong but her deliverance was!