Do you lose more when you eat less processed food?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    beth0277 wrote: »
    From a strictly losing weight standpoint, do you find that you lose more with cleaner foods? I agree with calories in vs calories out for the most point, but I seem to lose a bit more when my calories are made up of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc., then when I allow myself to have some processed treats, like fiber one bars. I'm still losing either way, just not as quickly with more processed foods. I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer? Anyone had a similar experience?

I always get flamed for this by IIFYM/CICO junkies but here you go.

the reason you feel better or lose more on cleaner foods is because your body has a hormonal response to what you eat. IE your body doesn't deal with MCT oil the same way it does with a transfat, although they both equal 9 calories per gram and you can consume 1 gram and = the same amount of calorie intake, your body is better off with the MCT oils versus transfats.
    Self fulfilling prophecy and incendiary language is self fulfilling and gets flamed.
    Hormone responses won't alter how much you lose. Getting proper nutrition will definitely alter how you feel.
    Let's just even look at this in an evolutionary standpoint and why it is a naturalistic fallacy. Let's just assume there is some magical "natural" property in unprocessed foods, and some magical "unnatural" property in processed foods. If your body actually did have different reactions to them, why, why, why would your body derive less nutrition (that's what losing weight is, less nutrition, less calories) from something it has evolved eating? The general goal of life is to maximize reproduction which generally involves deriving the most energy using the least resources. If there was any reasonable expectation to hypothesize, it would be that processed foods would contain parts that can't be digested because we hadn't evolved the type or level of enzymes to digest them.
    Instead, you're probably operating under a naturalistic fallacy that is also incorrect in assuming the human body has a desire or drive not to get fat.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The confusion is that OP asked about whether you lose more without processed foods if you keep calories equal. People saying "yes, because I ate less," really should be saying no or simply aren't answering the question.

Right. I feel like the discussion could be translated to this:

OP: Does 2+2 always equal 4? Because I feel like sometimes it doesn't, but I'm not sure.
    Commenters: NO! Sometimes 2+3 = 5 and 2+1 = 3!!! See, the math doesn't always work!

Not only that, but sometimes 3+1 = 4 too!!! And God help us if we have to introduce multiplication, division, or algebra.

I was told there would be no math...

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    No.. you can eat anything and lose weight it only takes a caloric deficit to lose. You will feel better and be healthier if you use less processed foods.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    The confusion is that OP asked about whether you lose more without processed foods if you keep calories equal. People saying "yes, because I ate less," really should be saying no or simply aren't answering the question.

OP: Does 2+2 always equal 4? Because I feel like sometimes it doesn't, but I'm not sure.
    Commenters: NO! Sometimes 2+3 = 5 and 2+1 = 3!!! See, the math doesn't always work!

Not only that, but sometimes 3+1 = 4 too!!! And God help us if we have to introduce multiplication, division, or algebra.

post-58615-Chevy-Chase-no-math-SNL-gif-Im-IvKX_zpscjdbqlna.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member

I've heard 2+2=5, also, but close right. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

I've heard 2+2=5, also, but close right. ;)

Pretty sure some people who believe their particular way of eating invalidates the principles of CICO think that:
    3+3 = 4

• raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member

Now look here, don't you start bringing algebra into the mix! I've had enough dealings with that recently! :laugh:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Remember back when the derailing post claimed not be to derailing? Behold. So sadly predictable predicted.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    beth0277 wrote: »
    From a strictly losing weight standpoint, do you find that you lose more with cleaner foods? I agree with calories in vs calories out for the most point, but I seem to lose a bit more when my calories are made up of lean proteins, fruits, veggies, etc., then when I allow myself to have some processed treats, like fiber one bars. I'm still losing either way, just not as quickly with more processed foods. I wonder if it is my body hanging onto something longer? Anyone had a similar experience?

I always get flamed for this by IIFYM/CICO junkies but here you go.

the reason you feel better or lose more on cleaner foods is because your body has a hormonal response to what you eat. IE your body doesn't deal with MCT oil the same way it does with a transfat, although they both equal 9 calories per gram and you can consume 1 gram and = the same amount of calorie intake, your body is better off with the MCT oils versus transfats.

Excuse you, and wtf? :unamused:
  • senecarr

I've always assumed we're dealing with math every time people mention complex carbs, as they must be composed of real and imaginary numbers.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    *whips out my protractor*

Imma go over there to the geometry corner, because geometry is cool.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Remember back when the derailing post claimed not be to derailing? Behold. So sadly predictable predicted.

You are correct. My apologies to the OP for my part in doing so.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    The only difference I notice is when I eat processed stuff I feel like *kitten* and it takes me a day or two to get rid of the processed food hangover. When my nutrition is squeaky clean I feel awesome.
  • senecarr
    The only difference I notice is when I eat processed stuff I feel like ***** and it takes me a day or two to get rid of the processed food hangover. When my nutrition is squeaky clean I feel awesome.
    What? All processed food has some universal thing in it that causes you issues?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Again, "processed" does not mean "not nutritious."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

h5em31rqk13s.jpg
    The only difference I notice is when I eat processed stuff I feel like *kitten* and it takes me a day or two to get rid of the processed food hangover. When my nutrition is squeaky clean I feel awesome.

• beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    LOL, wow, I didn't expect such varied responses. ;)

Yes, my primary question was if I eat 1500 of mostly unprocessed foods (lean proteins, fruit, veggies) compared to 1500 calories of "whatever" foods (keeping in mind that I try to eat really well throughout the day but processed in the terms of maybe an ice cream treat at night or a latte if it fit in my calories) will my loss be the same? As I have noticed I seem to lose continuously when I eat less processed and it slows down when I add in the processed treats. The sodium concept seems valid, particularly since I weight myself daily. I know you are going to have ups and downs and it's best not to weigh yourself daily, but I find it keeps me on track better.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

h5em31rqk13s.jpg

Oh holy f#*%. You can't just go posting that kinda stuff @queenliz99 without some kind of warning. Damn near swallowed my tongue.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    @2Poufs I'm sorry I wasn't thinking clearly. I had a hangover :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I gained weight doing the whole 30 where I ate no processed foods for 30 days... And I've lost weight eating pizza, french fries and butter. It doesn't matter
This discussion has been closed.