What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    That I would become somewhat (a lot) judgemental about others food choices. I'm so sorry!!! I just want to help (i don't say anything out loud) But when the lady at work is cramming a 1000+ calorie meal in her piehole (yes I looked it up on mfp) and complaining about HOW SHE CAN'T SEEM TO LOSE WEIGHT it's so hard to not say then put that down.
    I want to lead everyone to MFP but it's the horse to water thing right?!

Maybe you could gently point out to her that the meal she is eating is probably half of her daily calories? That way you aren't saying "put that down" but you are giving a wake up call

I've said some "gentle" suggestions, like setting myself as the example, "i can't believe I could eat 2 cupcakes from this store they were 750 EACH" but the specific lady that can't seem to lose weight also tells me how chia seeds have ALL THESE HEALTH BENEFITS.....and then, she poured them in her milkshake......
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    I find it really hard to compliment people back when they proudly say 'you've done so well, I've been dieting for the last few weeks and lost 4lb' etc. Sometimes you just can't see it yet but I don't want to mess with their confidence, but equally I don't want to lie! I didn't have to deal with people confiding in me before!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    edited September 2015
    [quote
    I've said some "gentle" suggestions, like setting myself as the example, "i can't believe I could eat 2 cupcakes from this store they were 750 EACH" but the specific lady that can't seem to lose weight also tells me how chia seeds have ALL THESE HEALTH BENEFITS.....and then, she poured them in her milkshake......
    I had lunch with my BFF and her sister. Sister bragged about how healthy she had been eating for the last 6 months, she had completely given up French Fries. Then she ordered fried onion rings...

But but onion rings are full of onion! Less carbs than chips (French fries )
    Bahahaahahaha total sarcasm there in case you missed that :)
  • silverarcheress
    I find it really hard to compliment people back when they proudly say 'you've done so well, I've been dieting for the last few weeks and lost 4lb' etc. Sometimes you just can't see it yet but I don't want to mess with their confidence, but equally I don't want to lie! I didn't have to deal with people confiding in me before!

How about "Good for you! Are you feeling more energetic too?"

That's brilliant! I'll definitely try that, thank you :)
  • camblin
    camblin Posts: 38 Member
    How when you come home from working out, and part of you just wants to sit down and have a drink, but part of you wants to hurry up and get in the shower so you don't have to smell your sweaty self any longer.
  • tiffunnyx
    tiffunnyx Posts: 7 Member
    How you no longer snore

How easily / comfortably you can cross your legs and sit in other positions

How the same mundane things now seem so different when you start the day off feeling better about yourself
  • rachelbl72
    rachelbl72 Posts: 64 Member
    4mricandy wrote: »
    Stay off the scale!!! The belt is the ultimate motivator!!!
    Definately this, looking at myself I can't see much difference but with the belt I was using the last hole4 weeks ago now I'm on the 3rd nearly 4th hole.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    That even when you let yourself get the unhealthy side of potato chips over fruit, you realize 3 chips in that you just don't want anymore.

Not for me; potato chips are my kryptonite. Lol!

Yes! I love chips and ice cream!!!! I think I will always love them. Now, there are other "junk" foods that I take one bite and don't want it anymore, like cookies and pastries. I'm happy to leave those be, even though in the past I would have still eaten the whole thing.
  • silverarcheress

How about: "that's awesome! starting can often be the hardest part--keep it up and you'll get to your goal." :smile:

I like that suggestion. Thank you guys all for being awesome on this thread!
  • sashayoung72
    tomnev1 wrote: »
    One thing I have found is that I am less argumentative. I often felt the need to call someone up online if i saw that they posted something stupid or racist or just plain crazy. Now when I see something I disagree with I think "that guy/girl is dumb...but pointing it out won't make me happy."
    Yes to this, I just don't have time for that in my life anymore! I was horrid about posting on all the fakey fake things people share on facebook, now i usually let it all go. I think the exercising has those endorphins flowing and happier feelings going on!
  • sashayoung72
    That even when you let yourself get the unhealthy side of potato chips over fruit, you realize 3 chips in that you just don't want anymore.

Not for me; potato chips are my kryptonite. Lol!

Yes! I love chips and ice cream!!!! I think I will always love them. Now, there are other "junk" foods that I take one bite and don't want it anymore, like cookies and pastries. I'm happy to leave those be, even though in the past I would have still eaten the whole thing.
    Yes! but now if I do eat them it's not oh lord the whole world ended and i'll have to start all over, I just shrug and try not to buy them anymore
  • AshuhleeMarie
    AshuhleeMarie Posts: 86 Member

I did that this past weekend. I was so proud of myself; I just simply didn't like the taste and I didn't want to finish them, and threw them away. Usually I'd not want to "waste" anything!
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited September 2015
    HappyCampr1 Keep on focusing on your own health and give yourself time to get used to this new body/weight. It seems the mind takes a lot longer to get there than the scale does...

After a lot of debate with myself (a lot!) I decided to set my goal weigh smack-dab in the middle of the "normal" BMI range, which for me is 143 (I guesstimate I'll be size 6 botton/4 top). I already know that I'll want to stop when I reach 160 because then my collarbone and shoulder blades will show (I am the very definition of a pear and I have been at that weight)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!