From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Thank you for posting this!!! I have been wanting to do some home lifting. I have a bar and some weights but need a bench. I was worried I needed to have weight racks in order to accomplish anything. I just don't have the room for them. Seeing this makes me think its possible!!!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Thank you all so much. Weight lifting has been my go to for results, stress relief and so much more! :blush:

Never doubt yourself! I would've never thought I could've done this and I certainly couldn't foresee it at first (which was part of the challenge to stick with it) but I knew somewhere deep down that I could do this and that I was actually no different from anyone else who already had.... I just needed to keep accumulating good food days, staying within calorie range, meeting macro goals, and continuing to lift, no matter what, while telling myself every single day that it WILL work if I don't quit.

People called me selfish, obsessed, annoying and many other things during my journey. There were many times where people were less than encouraging or supportive then I expected, but it's my life, not theirs.... If you persevere, never give up and do it right (the healthy way), you'll hear those things too so get ready. It's not easy because people sometimes do not understand but you must do it for you and press on, regardless of what family, friends or whoever else, might say about it... :heart:

This ^^ is right on the money - it's sometimes a lonely journey but it's one you owe yourself if you want to be healthy & fit!
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    mfm143 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much. Weight lifting has been my go to for results, stress relief and so much more! :blush:

Never doubt yourself! I would've never thought I could've done this and I certainly couldn't foresee it at first (which was part of the challenge to stick with it) but I knew somewhere deep down that I could do this and that I was actually no different from anyone else who already had.... I just needed to keep accumulating good food days, staying within calorie range, meeting macro goals, and continuing to lift, no matter what, while telling myself every single day that it WILL work if I don't quit.

People called me selfish, obsessed, annoying and many other things during my journey. There were many times where people were less than encouraging or supportive then I expected, but it's my life, not theirs.... If you persevere, never give up and do it right (the healthy way), you'll hear those things too so get ready. It's not easy because people sometimes do not understand but you must do it for you and press on, regardless of what family, friends or whoever else, might say about it... :heart:

This ^^ is right on the money - it's sometimes a lonely journey but it's one you owe yourself if you want to be healthy & fit!

This is so true, I have been told that I'm ridiculous and that I get obsessed when "I get something in my head" this only makes me more determined!!!!
  • MagnoliaStorm
    MagnoliaStorm Posts: 32 Member
    You look fantastic! Well done!
  • StaceyWhatsit
    StaceyWhatsit Posts: 24 Member
    OMG What an inspiration! I hope I look as smoking hot as you when I reach my goal weight :)
  • v_cowley
    v_cowley Posts: 70 Member
    Hi! I have visited this thread so much, you give me so much inspiration! I really want to get into strength training, I have done it to an extent in the gym with a PT so I'm fairly confident on form (and really enjoy it!). I can't get to the gym at the moment but I've invested in weights for home. I was wondering what you thought of the 5x5 Stronglifts programme? I prefer to have a plan and structure so I thought it would be a good start, the only thing is it a 3 days a week thing and they're fairly adament about not exercising on off days but I see you workout 6 days a week? Trying to do research but it's so conflicting! I'd appreciate any advise!
    Sorry for the long comment! Also I'm 6ft, weigh 236lb- I have lost 45lb so far and have 67lb to go. Thank you!
  • joemac59
    joemac59 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, congrats you look great!!!! I am 47 yrs young and have just started strength training. I began my journey in March 2014. Height 5'6" SW 230 CW 143. I am at goal weight now not sure if I will lose more with the strength training really not concerned with weight loss at this point. I need to work on developing lean muscle as I have not worked on that during my weight loss. I am struggling to get my protein to 60 gms a day and have been told I should get it over 100. I am having difficulty with that. I normally eat about 3 servings of fruit a day, 2-3 servings of fresh vegetables, and only one serving of bread, pasta, or potato a day, and have pretty much stopped eating dairy products. Can you give me some suggestions to increase my protein that worked for you. I look a little scrawny, especially in upper body. My chest and back are bony, I am now in a size 6 and cannot afford to lose any more muscle. I wouldn't mind going down a size if I had a muscular body like you do. I want to look healthy not skinny. Any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    Incredible! I have lost 70lbs with cardio---would like to start strength training...but I'm so intimidated of it! Don't know where to start. Sigh.

You are so inspiring!!!!
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    So glad I found this thread! Just started my lifting again today (although only really messed about with it before, giving up after a few weeks, I'm 47 and have a bit of a bad back) I need to lose 2" to fit in my wedding dress by November and you have just given me an enormous boost of motivation and now I believe I can do it! I cant thank you enough...you've heard it before but you are an inspiration and you have done fabulously well! I've done my lifting today but you've made me want to do more! Thank you! x
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Really inspiring story and you look truly fantastic! I really love the fact that you did it without much cardio.
  • wachmonster
    wachmonster Posts: 26 Member
    Great job!
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    I don't enjoy cardio but do think it's good for heart health. I have been using kettle bells, mostly 12 and 16kg (that's around 26lbs and 35lbs), doing squats, curl-ups to various swings and lifts. It has the benefit of increasing heart rate at the same time as strength training, and really works the core. I don't see a lot of people mentioning them on MFP though.
  • ilovejesusdou
    ilovejesusdou Posts: 2 Member
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?

• danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Wow! What a change! You are an inspiration! I am close to your height, starting weight, goal weight, and age....just goes to show me, it can be done! Thank you!
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    edited September 2015
    Thank you all for the posts, I apologize for such a late response but surprise!! Found out that hubby and I are expecting, I'm about 10-12 weeks along. We are also moving right now!!! I promise I will find the time to respond to any questions that haven't been answered here yet. I have always gained a ton of weight during pregnancy so I'm hoping to continue my success throughout and beyond this transition in my life. Stay strong friends! I am trying to as well.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member

This. I've learned, too, to just ignore it all and do what I want to do. I'm around the same height, but 10 lbs heavier, and it's good to know that I'll probably look like that in just another eight to ten weeks. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • bettytrask
    bettytrask Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for sharing. I'm encouraged.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    What an amazing journey!!! You look awesome :)
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Congratulations!! What a blessing!! Prayers for a smooth move and healthy pregnancy! You are in such a great position for a strong healthy pregnancy and postpartum should be much easier since you are in such good shape. Google Lindsey Brin / Moms into fitness. She is such a great example of someone who bounces back physically after pregnancy. Again what a blessing! So happy for you!
  • angellak
    angellak Posts: 68 Member
    Congrats!!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!