ONE tip from those who have been successful

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Just keep swimming. Everyone hits little setbacks -- the successful people just pick themselves up and keep going.
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    I have a way to go still, but what has helped me to this point the most is deciding it's OK to feel a little hungry sometimes. I don't HAVE to stop that feeling immediately.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Don't let an off day turn into an off week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Food scale
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Spend more time standing than you spend sitting during the day. Make it happen even if you have to change your desk.
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Eat the good fats 'Olive Oil, Tahini' and a few others and always try to feel full by increasing protein and reducing carbs. That seems to be the trick. Exercise helps too. When you get down, have someone tell you that you're beautiful.
  • nerdgirlinlv
    nerdgirlinlv Posts: 32 Member
    You deserve it! That's what I tell myself all the time. I will thank myself next week next month next year for what I am doing now!

Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Never give up. Allow yourself to "ease up" on logging religiously, but only allow it for a week or so. Get some professional help to figure out why you chose food as a coping tool. The reason why diets never work is because feelings cannot be logged in MFP...LOL Seriously, when we fix our heads, the rest is a cinch.---Your friendly dietitian
  • Oh yeah, I forgot a good one: Sometimes, especially with women, you may not see the change in weight for 2 weeks. Expect that, ok? We are hormonal creatures and women should weigh themselves daily to notice the fluid fluctuations that happen even overnight. I've noticed on my journey that I'd track religiously for a solid 2 weeks and exercise my but off and the first week the scale would show that I stayed the same. The second week is when I would see a couple of pounds dropped. Log your weight in MFP and it will graph it for you automatically.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Log the good, the bad and the ugly. If you've had a blow out day don't beat yourself up, shrug it off and carry on. I went to a wedding last month and had a day only to be described as ugly on the logging front, well over twice my daily allowance but, you know, i enjoyed myself and have lost 4lbs since, so it wasn't the end of the world.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Still in progress with my weight loss, but 45 lbs down so far and my tip is weigh with a food scale, try to be as accurate as you can, overestimate the calories in if you need to, underestimate the calories out - it should balance out in the end. Log every bite!
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Some great advice given so far.

I keep telling myself that no one is going to do it for me, I have to want it and do it for myself. While I may not like the exercising or would prefer other foods at times, I really like how I feel as compared to 6 months ago and that keeps on the right track.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    be consistent w your good habits. be consistent.
  • 2bfit_2015
    2bfit_2015 Posts: 42 Member
    elothen wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll give 2.
    1) Log EVERYTHING religiously
    2) So long as you keep your calories above starvation mode enjoy hunger pains. Every time your stomach feels like that means your body is about to go eat some fat. Unless you're in starvation mode, then it's probably going to eat an organ. :)

Loooool couldn't help laughing at the eating organ part.
    But this is so true tho. You will feel hungry because on a deficit your not able to stuff your face and your stomach until it hurts. You eat moderately and in the process you are getting your face and your stomach adjusted to normal sized portions. Inevitably u are going to feel discomfort in the beginning but don't give up.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Don't quit.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    You don't need to go hungry. You just need to learn the difference between hungry and not full.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You don't need to go hungry. You just need to learn the difference between hungry and not full.

True! This can take time and effort, though, and be surprising!

(When losing weight, the calorie deficit is taken from stored energy reserves, so there is no physiological reason why one should perceive more hunger, as long as the deficit isn't too large.)
  • mcahoon79
    mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
    Know what you can safely keep stocked in the house. I have an awful sweet tooth. I know that I can keep some chocolate chips in the house if I must indulge. However baked goods are my nemesis and have a much harder time saying no to so I try to keep them out.

Biggest thing I have learned is that it is a journey. Occasionally there will be days that you will eat the wrong thing or not move enough. Acknowledge it, then make the right decision next time. I found it helpful to reflect on what might have contributed to making bad decisions but don't make excuses. Identify the problem then change it.
  • karinav89 wrote: »
    elothen wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll give 2.
    1) Log EVERYTHING religiously
    2) So long as you keep your calories above starvation mode enjoy hunger pains. Every time your stomach feels like that means your body is about to go eat some fat. Unless you're in starvation mode, then it's probably going to eat an organ. :)

Lol on the organ part

Ditto on the organ comment! I did LOL!
  • RosieJaynee
    RosieJaynee Posts: 12 Member
    Bootea :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!