Hypothyroidism!!! Workout/ food advice/success ?

2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    There is a vast amount of alternative medical information on thyroid disorders that is not supported by scientific evidence. Whatever you do, don't give up eating healthy foods like broccoli and cabbage, to "treat" your thyroid. Mind you, I do not personally consider wheat to be a particularly healthy food, but you can be tested for gluten intolerance, rather than assuming that you have it because you're hypothyroid.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I've had hypothyroidism for 15 years after total thyroidectomy due to cancer. I put on ~75 lbs over 14 years, but once I started tracking calories on MFP and working out I'm down 60lbs.

Never stop taking your meds as you cannot fix thyroid issues through diet. Once your thyroid is in decline it stays that way. Your target TSH value should be 0.3-3.0 and some doctors are pushing for a tighter range of 0.3-2.0.

Many with Hashimoto's disease also have food sensitivities e.g. Celiac disease, so if this is an issue pursue it, but don't go chasing wild geese as this testing is very expensive and the results are not static.

Keep a detailed diary on your activity, your diet, everything and work with your doctor. If they are unwilling to listen, don't waste your time and find a new one.

Dr. Jeffrey Brown is a leading endocrinologist and treats several elite level athletes with hypothyroidism, so much of this is not that you exercise and train, but how you train.

Don't ever give up.
  • adamchalmers
    adamchalmers Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    If anyone is using Armour and having allergic reactions to it, they should check out WP Thyroid or Nature-Throid. No fillers and gluten free :smiley: not made from any animals. Here's a comparison:

http://getrealthyroid.com/the-real-difference/compare-thyroid-medications

<rant>The "alternative" medical info on thyroid disorders has a ton of support from scientific evidence. To be honest, your medical doctor probably won't want to hear about natural or holistic treatments for any ailment because they went to medical school where they were taught about pharmaceuticals and not science based nutrition. Plus the AMA has lobbied Congress and has legislated medical doctors into a "protected monopoly" all the while making sure everyone knows that chiropractors, naturopaths, homeopaths, etc. (basically anyone whose not a MD) are all quacks at the back of the bus.</endrant>

Good luck to all. Just remember, your body is capable of healing itself so give it the resources it needs to do so and address the issue holistically, not through masking the symptoms through drugs.
  • lithezebra
    Dismissing MDs doesn't help your case, @adamchalmers. Evidence would.
    If anyone is using Armour and having allergic reactions to it, they should check out WP Thyroid or Nature-Throid. No fillers and gluten free :smiley: not made from any animals. Here's a comparison:

<rant>The "alternative" medical info on thyroid disorders has a ton of support from scientific evidence. To be honest, your medical doctor probably won't want to hear about natural or holistic treatments for any ailment because they went to medical school where they were taught about pharmaceuticals and not science based nutrition. Plus the AMA has lobbied Congress and has legislated medical doctors into a "protected monopoly" all the while making sure everyone knows that chiropractors, naturopaths, homeopaths, etc. (basically anyone whose not a MD) are all quacks at the back of the bus.</endrant>

Good luck to all. Just remember, your body is capable of healing itself so give it the resources it needs to do so and address the issue holistically, not through masking the symptoms through drugs.

Dismissing MDs doesn't help your case, @adamchalmers. Evidence would. Also, telling people to heal themselves holistically, and that thyroid replacement hormone masks symptoms, is dangerous advice.

If you're hypothyroid, take your medication and have your blood tests. Some people stop needing medication, and that will be reflected in blood tests. For example, my mom started making normal levels of thyroid hormone again, in spite of having Hashimoto's, and her blood tests proved it.
  • lithezebra
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Never stop taking your meds as you cannot fix thyroid issues through diet. Once your thyroid is in decline it stays that way. Your target TSH value should be 0.3-3.0 and some doctors are pushing for a tighter range of 0.3-2.0.

Many with Hashimoto's disease also have food sensitivities e.g. Celiac disease, so if this is an issue pursue it, but don't go chasing wild geese as this testing is very expensive and the results are not static.

Sensible advice.

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    ShashayLee wrote: »
    welcome to MFP, i also have Hypothyroidism, controlled by meds with the occasional odd episodes happening. Currently down 53 pounds with 60 or left to go on Day 111. I've been eating healthy & watching my portions sizes. I've cut out as much added sugar as i am able, increased veggies. no particular diet as i feel this time it is a lifestyle change. I do Leslie sansone walk dvd's as well as strength training.
    So far i'm thrilled with my progress
    It can be done :)
    I am discovering that as well. I watch my carbs and sugars and my A1C went from 7.0 in July to 6.3 last month. I take my thyroid med at night, and I haven't had any problem. My issue is this:
    I take meds for kidney stones, hyperactive Thyroid, cholesterol, diabetes, Osteoarthritis, and water retention. I know some of this crap is slowing down my weight loss. I am trying to send this diabetes into remission, and slowly, that's where I am headed. I can ditch 2 of the meds if I succeed. I have a long way to go to reach my final goal, but I keep my little goals always within reach.
  • frontdoorangel
    frontdoorangel Posts: 34 Member
    I have Hashimoto's and 2 other auto-immune diseases, losing weight is certainly not easy but eating at a deficit, moving more and making sure I'm properly medicated seems to be working just fine. I know the biggest struggle weight wise that I've had is getting to the point where I *was* properly medicated and that took 2 years after being diagnosed. Hitting that magic number after my TSH was so haywire made all the difference in how I felt and how in control I felt over my body. Good luck.
  • CSARdiver

You body is not capable of healing your thyroid gland. This advice is dangerous and completely irresponsible. Thyroid disorders are corrected by medicine and surgery, not diet.

No medical professional would ever recommend this course.

Do you have proof of your claim regarding the AMA's activity?
  • lithezebra
    I have Hashimoto's and 2 other auto-immune diseases, losing weight is certainly not easy but eating at a deficit, moving more and making sure I'm properly medicated seems to be working just fine. I know the biggest struggle weight wise that I've had is getting to the point where I *was* properly medicated and that took 2 years after being diagnosed. Hitting that magic number after my TSH was so haywire made all the difference in how I felt and how in control I felt over my body. Good luck.

I was hypothyroid in the days when treatment was a lot less aggressive, and my TSH would be 4 or 5. Now that I'm medicated to a TSH of about 1, I feel great.
  • adamchalmers
    adamchalmers Posts: 5 Member

You body is not capable of healing your thyroid gland. This advice is dangerous and completely irresponsible. Thyroid disorders are corrected by medicine and surgery, not diet.

Go look it up yourself! I'm done with you and the other "know it all" who think MDs are gods and their drugs and surgery are the only way to heal the body. My advice is safe and sound and there's plenty of evidence out there in books and online medical/science-based nutritional journals. I'm not going to do the leg work and present a dissertation on it in this forum. You can read, so you figure it out!

MDs did nothing for my little girl except prescribe synthetic pills that were recalled by the FDA (twice) and did nothing for her. Then they said to stay away from carbs. Now that's what I call dangerous!

I regret contribing to this forum. Apparently the two "know it alls" are the only ones we should be listening to. Good luck with their advice. Bye.
  • CSARdiver

Go look it up yourself! I'm done with you and the other "know it all" who think MDs are gods and their drugs and surgery are the only way to heal the body. My advice is safe and sound and there's plenty of evidence out there in books and online medical/science-based nutritional journals. I'm not going to do the leg work and present a dissertation on it in this forum. You can read, so you figure it out!

MDs did nothing for my little girl except prescribe synthetic pills that were recalled by the FDA (twice) and did nothing for her. Then they said to stay away from carbs. Now that's what I call dangerous!

I regret contribing to this forum. Apparently the two "know it alls" are the only ones we should be listening to. Good luck with their advice. Bye.

You're done with objective information and logical thought process?

If you have proof I would love to see it.
  • Amillionsparkles
    Amillionsparkles Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2015
    Well my TSH is around 5.3 so it explains the fatigue symptoms as well as loss of concentration and energy.
    I am thinking of taking " Natural sources raw thyroid capsules" this is its description:
    This natural product is made without sugar, starch, preservatives, artificial colors or flavorings and contains no corn, wheat, yeast, soy or milk derivatives.

*Whole raw tissue concentrated from bovine sources specifically processed (freeze-dried) at or below -5°C to preserve natural occurring vitamins, enzymes, nucleotides, lipoproteins and all other cellular components.

IF anyone tried it please give me your reviews. I really don't want to go back to the synthetic one if there is an alternative.
    Oh and a friend told me she uses it and she feels much better.
  • LadyFlexible
    LadyFlexible Posts: 108 Member
    Burden of proof falls on the shoulders of the person making the assertion.As someone who was born with hypothyroidism and still has a thyroid disorder. I can actively say a dysfunction of a gland does not magically straighten itself out. There's a difference between a wound that mends itself up and a(n) organ/gland not doing its job. I've never had an issue levothyroxine and perhaps that's because my issue is a little different then yours maybe because of how the dysfunction came into existence for each of us.