From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• apittsle
    apittsle Posts: 31 Member
    Congrats! You look amazing! Can I ask what your diet was like? Because I think that's where I struggle the most.
  • nicolaworley2
    nicolaworley2 Posts: 3 Member
    Wow I'm jjust starting and this is just what i wanted to see well done x
  • kcampbell1969
    kcampbell1969 Posts: 29 Member
    That does it! I'm going out to buy some weights today!

Question - what does everyone think about hand weights vs. resistance bands?
  • pippypuppy
    pippypuppy Posts: 67 Member
    Was having a self pity day today after having jumped on the scales only to find it has gone up even though a near perfect week food/exercise wise.

When I scrolled thru your thread I thought 'oh here we go again, another success story going from flab to fab'. It wasn't until I viewed your video which explained the weight gain. I'm sitting here in tears thankful for you sharing your story. Your story blows my self-pity day out of the water in a good way.

If I were to rewrite this post with a few words, all I'd say is.........

'Thank you!'
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Thank you all for the posts, I apologize for such a late response but surprise!! Found out that hubby and I are expecting, I'm about 10-12 weeks along. We are also moving right now!!! I promise I will find the time to respond to any questions that haven't been answered here yet. I have always gained a ton of weight during pregnancy so I'm hoping to continue my success throughout and beyond this transition in my life. Stay strong friends! I am trying to as well.
    Congratulations!
  • byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    You just made me want to hit the gym with a vengeance! I didn't think real people HAD bodies like that!!!! Good for you!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this!!!!!!
  • gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    You are doing an amazing job! You look like a real body builder!
  • Rosebud2411
    Rosebud2411 Posts: 10 Member
    Wow. I was a size 22/24 down to a 12 it's hard work but you are an inspiration ! I got rid of all my "bigger " pics .. Wish I hadn't now!
  • smiles4474
    smiles4474 Posts: 12 Member
    Go Girl!!!! I really enjoyed reading your success story. I must say you look amazing!!!!! Keep Sharing Your Story!!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Absolutely fantastic. You can see how much work you put in. I am exactly like you. Love strength training, hate cardio. My hubby is trying to force cardio on me, but just NO. Give me weights any day.

You have come a long way. Congratulations. You deserve every compliment.
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2015
    Wow you look amazing. Congrats on the reward for all of your hard work. What kind of training did you use? What exercises and equipment? I would love to look half as great as you do when I am finished. I do have a back injury right now so I am limited to what I can do now. But I am walking as much as sciatica allows. Thanks. :)
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    Hey GenElizabeth. Well done on your achievement. You look fabulous!!

I am currently aiming for 1300 cals a day with minimum 120g protein and maximum 100g carbs.

I am stuck for meal ideas and have found that to hit my macros I need to eat A LOT of chicken breast, skinless white fish and vegetables.

What were your staple foods for sticking to your 1300 calories a day? I need to get inventive.

Thanks

Greek yogurt is AMAZING and something I eat on a regular basis, then and now. Chobani Simply 100's are my favorite at 100 calories each, 12g of protein and only 14 carbs with 5g of FIBER! They are perfect for curbing my sweet cravings. Chicken breast and broccoli was also a huge one for me. I also like Nature's Own Whole Wheat bread. No high fructose corn syrup, like most breads have and only 9 carbs and 60 calories per slice! I use that for an occasional PB&J or turkey sandwiches. Eggs are great also, if you can eat them (I almost can't so I eat them with a TON of pepper, lol).

I would suggest also finding a good quality, protein supplement. I use Orgain in chocolate, Vega in vanilla and Premier Protein shakes in chocolate, on different days. All have reasonable carbs, some almost none!! and are decent on calories - 100-150 per serving or so.

I did A LOT of experimenting to find what I liked and what worked for me before I found a day to day routine that I could stick with consistently. I hope you find success as well. Best of luck! :)
  • GenElizabeth
    v_cowley wrote: »
    Hi! I have visited this thread so much, you give me so much inspiration! I really want to get into strength training, I have done it to an extent in the gym with a PT so I'm fairly confident on form (and really enjoy it!). I can't get to the gym at the moment but I've invested in weights for home. I was wondering what you thought of the 5x5 Stronglifts programme? I prefer to have a plan and structure so I thought it would be a good start, the only thing is it a 3 days a week thing and they're fairly adament about not exercising on off days but I see you workout 6 days a week? Trying to do research but it's so conflicting! I'd appreciate any advise!
    Sorry for the long comment! Also I'm 6ft, weigh 236lb- I have lost 45lb so far and have 67lb to go. Thank you!

Hello and thank you!

5x5 (from what I gather) is a program designed for lifting your max weight, doing only a specific few, compound exercises. Lifting at your max does require time off in between.

I get bored easily so I could not stick with the 5x5 program, personally. I also did NOT lift my absolute max every day because I had limited equipment (yet enough) at home. I lifted a challenging amount of weight and switched up my exercises often during the week. I would work the same muscles, just in a slightly different way each time. This kept it interesting and fun for me, while allowing me to work out with the weights every day.

The key is to find a weight amount that is not your max but still challenging enough to get results. Congrats on your 45lb loss! That is awesome and I hope you keep it up!!!

• GenElizabeth
    joemac59 wrote: »
    Hi, congrats you look great!!!! I am 47 yrs young and have just started strength training. I began my journey in March 2014. Height 5'6" SW 230 CW 143. I am at goal weight now not sure if I will lose more with the strength training really not concerned with weight loss at this point. I need to work on developing lean muscle as I have not worked on that during my weight loss. I am struggling to get my protein to 60 gms a day and have been told I should get it over 100. I am having difficulty with that. I normally eat about 3 servings of fruit a day, 2-3 servings of fresh vegetables, and only one serving of bread, pasta, or potato a day, and have pretty much stopped eating dairy products. Can you give me some suggestions to increase my protein that worked for you. I look a little scrawny, especially in upper body. My chest and back are bony, I am now in a size 6 and cannot afford to lose any more muscle. I wouldn't mind going down a size if I had a muscular body like you do. I want to look healthy not skinny. Any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks

Your diet sounds great! However, if you don't eat a lot of animal products (meat and dairy), then it may be a bit more challenging to get over 100g of protein in daily but can still be done. Veggies, believe it or not, do contain a fair amount of protein and are low calorie, which means you can eat a TON of them. For me, that was my challenge. I could not eat enough veggies to get the protein in that I needed. I juiced on occasion and that helped though but it was quite messy and got a bit expensive so I don't do it regularly but one certainly could! Given they are getting the recommended 20-30g of fiber from other sources..

I would suggest you find a good protein supplement that you like. Orgain and Vega are plant based protein powders that I use also. Just be sure to consume 20-30g of protein POST workout and 15g or more, every few hours also when eating. Protein does not store up in our bodies like fats and carbs do so it's important to refill it every few hours.

Protein supplements are almost a MUST. They provide vitamins and nutrients that are often lost when eating on a calorie deficit for a long period of time and can give you an extra 20-50g of protein a day. Hope that helps! :)
  • GenElizabeth
    edited September 2015
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?

I focused on compound exercises and do 6-8 different exercises per work out, per day, 5-6 days a week. A compound exercise is simply an exercise that uses more than one joint and muscle group for the movement, such as squats, over head press, bench press, push ups, lunges, etc.

I have posted a few videos on what exactly I did, as well as other info, on my YouTube channel that I made, to help you guys and share my personal tips. Hope you check that out and I hope it helps! :)

Here is the video on my strength training routine, specifically.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF5QIMq-Uzc
  • GenElizabeth
    Congratulations!! What a blessing!! Prayers for a smooth move and healthy pregnancy! You are in such a great position for a strong healthy pregnancy and postpartum should be much easier since you are in such good shape. Google Lindsey Brin / Moms into fitness. She is such a great example of someone who bounces back physically after pregnancy. Again what a blessing! So happy for you!

Thank you so much!! I will def look her up. I appreciate it, thanks again. :heart:
  • GenElizabeth
    edited September 2015
    NLMfitness wrote: »
    Incredible! I have lost 70lbs with cardio---would like to start strength training...but I'm so intimidated of it! Don't know where to start. Sigh.

You are so inspiring!!!!

Thank you and you are gorgeous!! Don't feel intimidated at all! There are SO many different ways to gain muscle. Weight training is my favorite though. I have posted some videos on my youtube channel on what helped me so feel free to check them out for more info on where I started, personally.

Resistance bands, kettle bells, certain group classes (like Piyo), even just bodyweight exercise are great also. Depends on what your cup of tea is. I wish you the best though, I'm sure you will find something you love! Congrats on your 70lb loss. That is AWESOME! :)

• GenElizabeth
    pippypuppy wrote: »
    Was having a self pity day today after having jumped on the scales only to find it has gone up even though a near perfect week food/exercise wise.

When I scrolled thru your thread I thought 'oh here we go again, another success story going from flab to fab'. It wasn't until I viewed your video which explained the weight gain. I'm sitting here in tears thankful for you sharing your story. Your story blows my self-pity day out of the water in a good way.

If I were to rewrite this post with a few words, all I'd say is.........

'Thank you!'

You are VERY welcome! Hang in there, we all have those days. :wink:
  • GenElizabeth
    You just made me want to hit the gym with a vengeance! I didn't think real people HAD bodies like that!!!! Good for you!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this!!!!!!

Awe, lol, thank you so much. I am def real... Too real sometimes. I appreciate that and you are welcome. :)
  • GenElizabeth
    edited September 2015
    gymth0ttie wrote: »
    You are doing an amazing job! You look like a real body builder!

Thank you!! For me, that is the ultimate compliment. And although I am newly pregnant, I still plan to compete in a fitness competition show in 2017 after things wind down. I was going to do my first one next month but God has a different plan for me right now and that's ok! I am still looking forward to it for sure later on, in another year or two though! :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!