Has anyone had success with walking for exercise?

I was wondering if anyone out there, has had a successful weight loss with walking? I started walking at the beginning of June, it is my main form of exercise. I was planning on incorporating some running. I have been faithful using my fitbit, and trying to get 10,000 step a day. I would love to see some before and after weight loss pics.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    I hike daily and have been for years but to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit. Walking is for heath and well being. It took me 20 years to figure that out, you can not out exercise over eating.
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    I'd also love to see some success stories from walkers. I can't run because of a back problem, but walking seems to work well. Doing 10,000 - 15,000 steps a day, all outdoors, some moderate hills. (Also using Fitbit Surge) Really enjoying it and losing some lbs, so far, but I haven't been doing it very long. Like to see how it has worked out long term for others.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    The majority of my aerobic activity was from walking, probably more than 90%, and I lost 100 lbs. I started out at a moderate speed of 3.0 mph, and I worked my way up to very, very brisk walking between 4.0 and 4.5 mph. I feel the main reason I did lose though was that I sustained a caloric deficit with very few exceptions for holidays and special occasions. There are photos on my profile page along with a listing of my weight loss.
  • shizmcnally
    shizmcnally Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2015
    Yes! I started my diet March 1, went on the elliptical everyday until it got warm enough to walk and now I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Usually more like 13k (stopped using the elliptical altogether, unless it's too hot out). I'm down 115 lbs as of today-eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'8 and 28 years old. Here's my before and after.
    SW: 299
    CW: 185
    GW: 160

n1cz5mr6sdgq.jpg
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    power walking has been my cardio training for the last thirty years. walking is great for us.
  • shizmcnally
    shizmcnally Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2015
    6rksrgwwuwfa.jpg

Woops! Here's my before and after!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    My total weight loss is 130 pounds. I've completed one marathon and half marathons in 10 states. I lost most of my weight by walking and have gone back to doing walking just recently. I like walking because I can do it daily without needing much recovery time. When I run I need a day (or two off) to recover from it. On a typical day, I walk 20 minutes to a bus stop on the way to work (it isn't the closest bus stop to my house) take 2-3 ten-minute walks during work breaks and then walk another 20 minutes home from the bus stop. If my work schedule doesn't correspond with the bus schedule, I walk a few blocks away from the bus terminal and catch the bus on its route rather than at the transfer center. Typically the walking amounts to 4-6 miles a day. It works out better for me than going to a gym because I incorporate the exercise into my day. I spend 70-90 minutes walking. Forty of those minutes are getting to/from work and add about 30 minutes to my total commute. In exchange for adding 30 minutes to my commute, I avoid 20 minutes of getting to a gym another 20 minutes of getting home from a gym and an hour of drooling on a treadmill while wishing I wasn't at the gym.
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    I used to walk like 15 km a day. Insane , Isn't it? But I lost like 45 lbs in first three months but of course you need to create some caloric deficit in your diet as well.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    I've lost 16 more pounds since this was taken, but this before and during needs a bit of explanation. The before isn't really a true before. I weigh about 190 there. I was 210 when I started on MFP. That 190 is without exercise, though.

I'm 163 in the during picture, and that's with a lot of walking and some strength training. But mostly walking. I've now started running, but still primarily walk every day.

The bathing suit bottom in the picture? It's too loose now.

c5n2c3i895r8.jpg
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2015
    htnl93x1xoos.jpgosnkf9un3uhq.jpg

My main exercise is walking about 17k-24k steps a day. I throw in body weight training here and there with DailyBurn videos. Lost 21lbs so far with these things.

I'm also 5'9, with the picture on the right being at 153lbs.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    I lost my first 6-7 lbs by speed walking and it helps!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Calorie deficit and walking about 4 miles on a treadmill at 10% incline 5 days a week has worked for me. I am down 10lbs with 10 more to go. It may not be a quick fix but i am in it for.the long haul. Good luck
  • HeatherCarnes76
    HeatherCarnes76 Posts: 52 Member
    I've lost 130 pounds. I started out by walking. I could hardly walk 1/2 a mile without feeling like I was gonna fall over. !/2 a mile then turned into one mile and 1 mile turned into 3 miles a day. I have 50-60 more pounds to go but I will get there. qak7id9lw2xs.jpg
    lxqgf3144ddi.jpg
    7r7p936al6my.jpg
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 389 Member
    I work for an orthopedic surgeon and every day he tells people that walking is good for the heart but bad for the knees. While it provides a cardio burn, it does nothing for strengthening your legs. You'd be better off on a bike or an elliptical.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    MsElphaba wrote: »
    I work for an orthopedic surgeon and every day he tells people that walking is good for the heart but bad for the knees. While it provides a cardio burn, it does nothing for strengthening your legs. You'd be better off on a bike or an elliptical.

Oh my fricken stars! Are you kidding me? We've been walking on two feet for millions of years and now we have to ride a bike or use a elliptical because of some supposed expert. Not buying it. :(
  • Priss08
    Priss08 Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2015
    I have. I'm down 95-ish lbs and walking is pretty much all I do.

Pics since you asked. :)

21n8rh0g1vq8.jpg

P.S. I'm five foot nine.
  • yardprincess
    yardprincess Posts: 42 Member
    I would encourage you to walk (I love it for more than physical exercise - it's one way to think, breathe, connect with the outside world and if a friend comes along, you can maintain a conversation). BUT I would also encourage you to not eat back any calories you spend from walking AND I would also encourage you to mix things up a little bit with light weight training - if you can. I used to only walk as I dislike running, but lately I have added some weight training (push ups, body squats, etc). and that has made a great difference in how I feel in both muscles and metabolically. Good luck!
  • ruthtruman
    ruthtruman Posts: 50 Member
    Yes! I started my diet March 1, went on the elliptical everyday until it got warm enough to walk and now I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Usually more like 13k (stopped using the elliptical altogether, unless it's too hot out). I'm down 115 lbs as of today-eating 1200 calories. I'm 5'8 and 28 years old. Here's my before and after.
    SW: 299
    CW: 185
    GW: 160

n1cz5mr6sdgq.jpg

• ruthtruman
    You were pretty before, but you graduated to gorgeous! Great job!
  • ruthtruman
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    MsElphaba wrote: »

Oh my fricken stars! Are you kidding me? We've been walking on two feet for millions of years and now we have to ride a bike or use a elliptical because of some supposed expert. Not buying it. :(

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!